Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > anyone like medieval total war Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike H

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: anyone like medieval total war         Reply with quote

take a look at this
http://www.totalwar.com/community/medieval2.htm
this game looks freaking sweet. Much better than rome total war. I can't wait so I decided to share my excitement. I now know whats going to be on my christmas list this year Big Grin
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still play Medieval: Total War now and again. I never bothered with Rome: Total War, it took far too many liberties with historical accuracy.

Medieval 2 looks very impressive so far, but there's still 9 months to go.
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have owned the original M:TW game since the first year of its production (or as I like to call it, 'way back when' ). It was, and still is, my favourite computer game. It was one of the few that made a good attempt to be historically accurate (especially with a mod or two).

Now, what I'm afraid of with this puppy is that it will go the way of Rome: Total War and lose much of the realism in favor of pomp and graphics. R:TW had Hastati leaping into the air when charging, six-minute battles that should take an hour, chariots killing horses merely by touching them, tiny maps, and an idiot AI. Not to mention it took five years to move from Sicily to Judaea, in the game, when Philip of France accomplished it in 21 days. While the ships were different, the difference in time shouldn't be that large.

This is excluding all of the obvious historical inaccuracies. *cough* Egypt *cough*

R:TW in my eyes was really just a play to the masses, and I hope M:TW 2 doesn't suffer the same folly.

Well, there's my rant.

Last edited by Alexander Hinman on Sat 21 Jan, 2006 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey.... that preview looks nice. Happy

I've spend a quite a lot of time on Medieval: Total war, though i never managed to finish on campaign ( too many battles per turn when you realm gets big, not enough spare time... Wink ).

I like the Total war-series for its rather realistic approach to medieval/ ancient battles. Maybe I'll take a look at Rome-TW, when it's a little cheaper...

What do you like/ dislike about "Rome"?
Mike H

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well what i dislike about Rome is it got a little repetitive after a short while, I still play it but not as much. I also didn't like that you couldn't customize your cities like you can do in games like comand and conquer, it also had quite a few historical inaccuracies( thats why I downloaded an ungodly ammount of mods for it) I didn't like it that you couldn't pillage (they had a pillage button but I would have love it if you could commanded your troops to pillage and showed it happening, I also didn't like how small the battlefields were compared to medieval tw and there were no huts or farms outside of the city. But I still enjoyed the game.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
I still play Medieval: Total War now and again. I never bothered with Rome: Total War, it took far too many liberties with historical accuracy.

Medieval 2 looks very impressive so far, but there's still 9 months to go.

Thats why you get the Rome: Total Realism (RTR) mod...

http://www.rometotalrealism.org/index.html

Quote:
Rome: Total Realism is a complete modification for Rome: Total War developed by an international team of skilled individuals with a passion for history. The essence of the modification is to provide a realistic approach to Rome: Total War's often lacking historical merit. The mod has been featured on the front page of several major gaming sites and magazines such as Gamespot and PC GAMER.

| Mod Features

* Seventeen fully playable factions
* Two hundred new historically accurate army units
* Totally revamped combat stastics system
* New "Area of Recruitment" gameplay mechanic
* Comprehensive graphical overhaul of the front end
* Introduction video, faction elimination videos
* Redesigned campaign map
* Classical soundtrack conceived by a professional composer.
* Many new custom battle locations
* Additional historical battles
* Authentic battle formations and army deployments
* Enhancements enabling the AI to fight "smarter"
* Gloss textures enabling environmental reflections
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, if only my graphics card hadn't (literally) melted. Then I could get R:TR before going off to university.

In any case, I just hope they do the Russians justice. I was slightly bothered by the lack of lancer-type units in their repetoir in M:TW. The XL Mod put in Chernye Kobluki, which was a nice change, but I'd still prefer lancers that had heavier armour. You know, like real Boyars. (Though not quite 'Teutonic Knight' heavy)

One of the things I liked best, though, about R:TW that, so I've heard, they've gotten rid of in R:TR is War Dogs. They're historically accurate, from what I've read, and one of the coolest units, I think. Routing enemies? Chase 'em down.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wish I still had a copy of MTW, got rid of it when I got RTW.

What a mistake.

I'm going to be cautiously optomistic about this next one.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never thought I'd say this, but the compromises don't bother me that much. It's a game. I am interested in total realism, but I worry about what it would do to my compatibility. If you think the AI is dumb, then play against people.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My old fav was stopping the mongolian hordes by digging myself into a forest on a hillside with a couple of units of Varangians, all the Mercs i could get, and about 6 or 7 catapults...
The wait for the time to run out...
If you are lucky, the horde has nowhere to retreat, and you capture half the mongol royal family, wich will net you about 20 000 florins of ransom...
Ah, sweet gamieness...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
My old fav was stopping the mongolian hordes by digging myself into a forest on a hillside with a couple of units of Varangians, all the Mercs i could get, and about 6 or 7 catapults...
The wait for the time to run out...
If you are lucky, the horde has nowhere to retreat, and you capture half the mongol royal family, wich will net you about 20 000 florins of ransom...
Ah, sweet gamieness...

What?! Are you seriously not exaggerating the number of florins here? That's a ridiculous sum of money! In fact, I want to find my copy of Medieval: Total War and try to see if I can manage to do that. My way of collecting high revenues was much more conventional, and most experienced Total War players already know about it. If you start with the Italians, build up your ship fleets, and then capture certain key ports (Egypt, Tripoli, Edessa, Sicily, Flanders and Wessex come to mind) and maintain a string of ships around Europe, the income from florins is massive, particularly if you upgrade the trading within a given city as much as possible. The only problem with this is that your trade lines can be extremely vulnerable to attack by enemy units, and with one effective strike you can literally find yourself cut off from thousands of florins of income because your line of ships was disrupted. And obviously, if you have a lot of big standing armies, this can make you spiral into debt extremely quickly.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The mongols start with a LOT of money, to keep them going even if the provinces they capture dont generate much revenue, and they have a huge army. If you capture a large portion of their nobles right away, they will spend whatever it takes to buy them back.
It's kind of a bug, but it works. If they dont controll any adjecent provinces, EVERYONE in a lost battle is take prisoner...

Edit: Ah, yes, it only works on the turn they appear

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So in other words, you want to play either as the People of Novgorod or the Byzantines and you want to have conquored every single of the north eastern European/Asian provinces well in advance in order to ensure that you can capture the nobles.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are the byzantines or turks, and they attack both lesser armeina and Armenia (Dont remember the names... the one on the black sea coast and the one below it) and you win both battles, the ones in the southmost province will have nowhere to go.

They appear in 2-3 random provinces, from the one south of the one by the black sea, and upwards. Sometimes they will not start out in adjecent provinces.

It's been a long time since I played the game.

Not to sure one the number of florins, but it IS a ridicolous amount of money...

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
If you are the byzantines or turks, and they attack both lesser armeina and Armenia (Dont remember the names... the one on the black sea coast and the one below it) and you win both battles, the ones in the southmost province will have nowhere to go.

They appear in 2-3 random provinces, from the one south of the one by the black sea, and upwards. Sometimes they will not start out in adjecent provinces.

It's been a long time since I played the game.

Not to sure one the number of florins, but it IS a ridicolous amount of money...

I see to recall them appearing near Muscovy, and Volga Bulgaria, if I'm not mistaken.
Alexander Hinman

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They will ALWAYS appear in lesser Khazar (in XL) or Khazar (in regular M:TW or VI). At least, that's my experience. They also appeared in Armenia in an XL game of mine as Kiev, and they appeared (occasionally) in Volga-Bulgaria on regular or VI. On VI what I prefer to do is amass Halberdiers in the region, and hide in the woods. It works for me! On XL I amass mixed Halberdiers and Rus Spearmen. Along with my best general, of course. What happens is they waste all of their time firing arrow volleys into the trees, and so 3 hours passes with insignificant losses (accelerated time, of course). 822 Kievan vs 5151 Mongol

What I find really funny, though, is that, apparently, in the first confrontation between the Russians and the Mongols, the Russians had more men.

On a note more appropriate to this site, I was surprised by the effectiveness of the Skutatoi or Byzantine Infantry. They don't look like much but they can be quite significant.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > anyone like medieval total war
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic