Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > U.K. Import laws Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Fentiman

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: U.K. Import laws         Reply with quote

Hi there.

Having been lurking on these boards for a rather long time, I now have something I need to ask. Does anyone have any experience with or information on importing sharpened swords to the UK?

I would very much like to buy one of Albions Next Gen's, but I have heard that certain weapons and martial arts equipment are currently on the denied entry list. If anyone can clarify the current situation I would be deeply grateful.

Finally, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy these boards. The discussions here are without a doubt some of the best I've found on the subject.

Thank you.
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

As far as I know, swords are still absolutely fine. No to nunchuks, flails and balisongs - yes to swords. Only things to prepare yourself for are the wait for customs clearance (Albion will have insured the sword, so don't start to overworry if it takes a month or two) and the chunky VAT that you'll be charged on delivery.

Welcome to the boards - and which Albion did you have your eye on?
Mark Fentiman

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James.

Thank you for your response. My only major concern is that I know the import laws changed fairly recently and I haven't been able to check the governmental fine print yet.

As to which Albion, the Hospitaller has to be my dream sword. The type XI has been my vision of an ideal sword since long before I had any concept of different types. It's a combination of that narrow fuller, parallel edges, rounded tip and simple finish that just says something to my boyhood imagination.

On another note, One of the perils of tabbed browsing is that occasionally you lose track of which page you are on. I had intended to post this in the off-topic forum. Oh well, chalk it up to inattentiveness.
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Mark~

We ship over to the UK almost on a daily basis here. We have had no troubles thus far with anything being returned or kept by customs. Happy

The only country that we are having a hard time with right now is Greece. Sad

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Sigman wrote:
...The only country that we are having a hard time with right now is Greece. Sad ....

Greece?? The home of the Mycenaeans? Thermopylae? Peloponnesian War? Alexander? We all know that these references are thousands of years old, and times change, but, somehow, this just strikes me as odd.

Are you having a hard time because these swords are considered weapons and therefore dangerous? Or is it something else, like trade barriers?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Mark Fentiman

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the reassurance Michael.

Assuming I can find another £50 before the 15th I look forward to doing business with you.
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Are you having a hard time because these swords are considered weapons and therefore
dangerous? Or is it something else, like trade barriers?

It is the classification. I had no trouble up until this year. One of our good customers said that the "politics" over there changed this year quite a bit. So right now - we are not selling to Greece because of this - well discouraging it anyway. It is a shame.

Quote:
Assuming I can find another £50 before the 15th I look forward to doing business with you.

Mark~

Shoot me an email and lets see if we can work something out. mikes@albion-swords.com

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Michael Sigman wrote:
...The only country that we are having a hard time with right now is Greece. Sad ....

Greece?? The home of the Mycenaeans? Thermopylae? Peloponnesian War? Alexander? We all know that these references are thousands of years old, and times change, but, somehow, this just strikes me as odd.

Are you having a hard time because these swords are considered weapons and therefore dangerous? Or is it something else, like trade barriers?

Heck if Scotland can ban knives anything can happen... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Mark Fentiman

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the orders been placed Big Grin.

Having spent far to much of my time staring at the Albion site, I've finally managed to get myself organised enough to afford one of these beauties. This will be my first sword made to realistic specifications and I can't wait to finally get my hands on the real thing.

Now I just need some way to skip the next few weeks of my life. If I just have to wait patiently, I'm likely to go insane with anticipation Eek!.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,

You think you have it bad? I spent a year (deployed in Iraq, which is pretty good money) before I could afford one. Of course, then I bought seven in six months. I ordered the first one (a Crecy) in August, and did not get to see it until about 3 weeks ago. Well, actually I ended up ordering 5 in that time, but you get the idea... Razz I bought number six over the phone (silly thing to brag about, but it's the only Albion I have purchased via telephone (and the only time I've heard Mike Sigman's voice)) while I was on leave visiting the others (oh, yeah, and my family Laughing Out Loud ), and put the order for seven in when I got back here to Germany. I won't see my Agincourt or my Sherriff until May at the very earliest! Eek!

Enjoy you new sword! Trust me, it is well worth the wait!

-Grey

P.S. Wow! For me, that was down right obsessive use of the smileys!

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > U.K. Import laws
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic