Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Ranger II? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Ranger II?         Reply with quote

After several requests for a Ranger, long after the 50th has shipped, CF and I Discussed another run of Rangers. A Ranger Mk 2 to be exact...

What CF thinks, is use the same blade, but "tweak" the design, change the aesthetics a bit, to include everything he has learned to date.......

But, if we do it, this time there will be only 25 of the Mk 2s. Though, the prototype could be to CF's shortly after the New Year......

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why only 25?
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
Why only 25?

It's all Christian's fault, really it is....

Christian has the normal Smith mentality, very, very creative, but easily bored. More than 25 of anything tends to burn him out. After making 50 of the first series, he told me he'd never do that to himself again.......

*g*

swords are fun
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will probably sell out in even less time than the last AT/CF special did.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No kidding. Though that can't be a bad thing for either of them....
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Christian has the normal Smith mentality, very, very creative, but easily bored. More than 25 of anything tends to burn him out. After making 50 of the first series, he told me he'd never do that to himself again.......

That's completely understandable Happy Can't wait to see it; you guys are a wonderful combination. Big Grin

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ranger II?         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
After several requests for a Ranger, long after the 50th has shipped, CF and I Discussed another run of Rangers. A Ranger Mk 2 to be exact...

What CF thinks, is use the same blade, but "tweak" the design, change the aesthetics a bit, to include everything he has learned to date.......

But, if we do it, this time there will be only 25 of the Mk 2s. Though, the prototype could be to CF's shortly after the New Year......

Auld Dawg

But why must you do this to us, now everything I own has a price tag on it!!

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Barry Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Ranger II blade choice         Reply with quote

I would like to see a different blade used if a second batch of Rangers are made. The 1313 blade would be a good choice. The wider fuller would look great. It seems that if the same blade is used, the first batch of rangers (of which I own one) become less special since they would be identical excluding the more basic fittings. Note that I'm assuming the fittings on the new sword will be closer to the movie sword it is inspired by.

By making the sword have a different blade than the first ranger, current ranger owners can feel better about buying it knowing they aren't just buying a prettier version of the same sword. If they don't get it (and at least 25 people will fall into that category) they won't feel like their sword is an inferior version of the ranger 2.

Barry
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ranger II blade choice         Reply with quote

That looks like a good choice for the blade. what was the original, a 1415?

Barry Rodgers wrote:
I would like to see a different blade used if a second batch of Rangers are made. The 1313 blade would be a good choice. The wider fuller would look great. It seems that if the same blade is used, the first batch of rangers (of which I own one) become less special since they would be identical excluding the more basic fittings. Note that I'm assuming the fittings on the new sword will be closer to the movie sword it is inspired by.

By making the sword have a different blade than the first ranger, current ranger owners can feel better about buying it knowing they aren't just buying a prettier version of the same sword. If they don't get it (and at least 25 people will fall into that category) they won't feel like their sword is an inferior version of the ranger 2.

Barry

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A variant of the 1415 was the original. I personaly (and I have NO say just my $.02) I think he should use the Lady Carmen, 1562 blade, I'd buy one of those that way! Big Grin Cool
J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Double Thumbs Up for the 1562         Reply with quote

Yeah the 1562 rocks, very nice handling blade. She needs a bigger sibling though, * hint, hint*

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
David Stokes

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh, you read my mind!

I have loved the lady carmen and since its the same blade type, just longer, that would make the Ideal "the return of the ranger"!! lol

Hint Hint to Gus and CF!
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The above mentioned blades would indeed finish an attractive Ranger II, but I suspect that in most custom-type pieces (like the Ranger or Redeemer) a custom blade is required to balance the hilt-work on the particular sword. I imagine Gus and Christian will impress us all with their choice of blades as well as the overall effect (harmonics etc).

Because of other purchases, alas, I will be unable to afford one of the new Rangers, but I look forward to seeing the finished item-- it will be a work of art.

On a side-note, CF will be doing the scabbard for my Baron, when it is ready. Can't wait!

David
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would probably get one if it's longer than the old ranger...and having a fuller that's 'pointed' at the end to match the tip, rather than rounded, would simply sweeten the deal...which makes me think that a slightly customized AT1562 blade would be best, so long as it's at least as heavy as the old ranger...

Oh, and I think keeping it under an $800 pricetag would have a great effect on whether or not I would get one...but that might change by next summer, if I have a paying job by then.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Thieme wrote:
Quote:
I would probably get one if it's longer than the old ranger...and having a fuller that's 'pointed' at the end to match the tip, rather than rounded, would simply sweeten the deal...which makes me think that a slightly customized AT1562 blade would be best, so long as it's at least as heavy as the old ranger...

Oh, and I think keeping it under an $800 pricetag would have a great effect on whether or not I would get one...but that might change by next summer, if I have a paying job by then.

I had assumed that the Ranger II and the Ranger King were one and the same-- maybe Christian or Angus could clarify?

David
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I had assumed that the Ranger II and the Ranger King were one and the same-- maybe Christian or Angus could clarify?

Nope... Different animals.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ranger King is a sword that uses the blade from the AT1319, and has a long hilt like the 1319.

The Ranger Revisited, will have either the same blade as the original, or will use the blade from the AT1313. As CF and I discussed it last week, it looks like buyer's choice, which blade..........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Angus (and Joshua)-- that is exceptionally good news!

David
David Stokes

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of ranger king, did that thing sell out fast or what?!!

be interested to see the Ranger 2
Christian Shank

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Impressions of Gen I AT/CF Ranger         Reply with quote

As an owner of one of the first generation AT/CF Ranger swords I can say that I am very happy with the blade and entire project. CF's work on the scabbard and fittings was first class. I went with the green leather and matching scabbard with byknife. I made my own 3 point suspension belt that matches the whole motif... someday I will post a picture of sword, scabbard and belt.

The balance of this sword is AMAZING! Everyone that has picked up my AT/CF Ranger is confused at how light it is.

The ONLY negative I had with the sword was that the fuller wasn't as clean (very minor tooling marks) as I expected when compared to my other Angus Trim/ Albion/ Samson "Fantasy Long Sword". The finish on that blade was a "high polish", with very clean fuller and razor sharp edge. I'm not sure if Albion did this or it came that way from AT. I'd also like to find out which AT blade design was used for that project... looks like a modified 1312, but I never bothered to ask.

Perhaps someday I'll ship out my Ranger to have the minor tooling marks polished out and a similar "high polish" applied.

Anyhow, if AT and CF are doing another Ranger design and you missed out on the first one... I highly recommend that you get in on this one. Also, do the full meal deal, sword and matching scabbard. Its well worth it. CF is very pleasant to do business with.

Christian A.

Cool

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Ranger II?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: