Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Info needed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Info needed         Reply with quote

I have a question that I know some of you will be able to answer. My collection consists of mid-level and higher end swords and other weapons, mostly A&A with an order for a nextgen from albion. Anyway I have no real knowledge of the basic defensive and offensive manuevers used in the 11th-early 14th century. In other words I really don't know how my weapons whould be employed in basic practice or in cutting exercises. I live in Boston and I don't know of any one around to gain hands on assistance which would be ideal. I do have a short article on a german method of using the hand-and-a-half sword, I think from the 1500's. I still no nothing of how to employ a single hand medieval sword. Any reccommendations? I don't personally desire a deep knowledge of western matial arts but I would like to have a basic understanding of how my collection would be used. Thanks very much. Jeremy
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,

Well, the only book that I've encountered on the subject is John Clements' Medieval Swordsmanship book, through Paladin Press. It's a pretty good entry-level book, and one that's good to come back to as you learn more. Aside from a number of articles, it also has some basic instruction for the single-hand sword with the shield, and some basic instruction on the longsword as well.

Chivalry Bookshelf has a couple of new titles out, the book on I.33 by Dr. Jeffrey Forgeng (I haven't read it, but I've heard it's good) and the book called Medieval Sword and Shield by Stephen Hand and Paul Wagner (haven't read this either).

I'm sure there are more, but since you're not looking for a "deep understanding of western martial arts...", these titles should be just fine for seeing how your swords would be used.

Take care,

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks so much Geoff. I will search for these on Amazon.com. I have a question which is interesting to me. I have read from Oakeshott that the "slash and cut," blades of the high middle ages would have been wielded with a minimum of wrist movement, but that the sword would have been swung "as an extension of the arm," "The Knight and His Weapons." I also have another frustrating factor in my interest- I am left handed so I have not decided how I will purchase my sword-belts and shields- whether to go authentic- and make myself use them as would have been done. Or as is comfortable for me or historically "backwards." Eek! Thanks for the advice again. Any one else have any thoughts.
Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Without having to actually purchase anything there is lots of Fechtbuchs/sword manuals including a book similar to clements's medieval swordsman ship available on www.aemma.org and also a lot of books online at www.arma.org. A few hrs persuing the pictures will give you plent of insight as to their use.

Ciaran

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Info needed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic