Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My cheerful news for the New Year and gratitude... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: My cheerful news for the New Year and gratitude...         Reply with quote

Okay, I feel like such a heel for not bringing my digital camera and uploading pictures this weekend. I promise photos
will come shortly, they are currently in the works! PROMISE!!!

Okay, so here is my big news . . . I recently acquired two very new swords. I've never owned a sword before, this has
been a fantastic experience for me. The ordering, the wait, the anticipation, my fellow swordfighting peers asking if I
received it, and then the total blow of the mind opening each box (more of a ripping the boxes to shreads with a knife Happy ).
It was all well worth the waiting!
The first that came was a three ring practice rapier from Darkwood. It's the most gorgeous rapier I've ever put in my
hands !!!! It totally exceeded all my expectations! I'd like to sincerely thank Scott at Darkwood for his effort and having to put
up with a total idiot like myself!
My second sword that came is an Angus Trim 1526, it's hard to describe how gorgeous it is! To Gus and Jamie it's
beyond what we discussed over e-mail. Guys: it's more than awesome . . . it's totally (using the words of Pamela Muir) sexy!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!
Okay, I just thought I'd let everyone know how I felt. I promise to use each sword and let you all know how it turns out. Just let me drool a little longer . . .

Helen
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Helen! What a great way to start the new year - - but Sad we do need pictures to feed the obsession.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really great Helen, I'd love to see pictures of your new swords! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? Big Grin

I started my new year off by putting $500.00 down on an Arms & Armor Durer Bastard Sword yesterday.

Will be a perfect fit between my A&A GBS and my A&A English Longsword.

But someone getting their first sword or swords is a whole lot more important, because it's really great to see someone getting that feeling and I am glad you have shared this with us. There's just no explaining the feeling of that first sword or in your case, first two swords. Congratulations on a great start off of 2006!

I am very happy for you!

Bob
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
...I started my new year off by putting $500.00 down on an Arms & Armor Durer Bastard Sword yesterday....
That sounds like a good choice, Robert. I look forward to seeing your pictures, as well.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Steve, I will do that, I think I might have burned out a few more brain cells in making this decision, there were a couple of other A&As' and a couple of Albions that I had been going over and over about, but knew I could only afford one sword at this point. The review in this website and the opinion of David Peck (mgr of A&A sight at the Fair and a sword instructor) were integral to my decision. I think I about drove my wife nuts! Laughing Out Loud

I have to start thinking about period clothing, mail, gauntlets, etc.

Thanks again Steve and a Very Happy New Year to You!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

Just curious if the A & A 15th century Two-handed sword is one you have somewhere on your lists of swords you would like to get: I have one and it is BIG and impressive, heavy but not a boat anchor; surprisingly agile for it's size.

I also have and like the Black Prince.

Oh, the Durer seems like a very good choice if one has to choose instead of being able to afford one of everything A & A and Albion make.

I'm real close to deciding to get the Tritonia sword: Have already sent an E-Mail to Mike about it asking a few questions but haven't given the go-ahead yet.

As long as you don't over do it and go broke life is too short to not get all the toys you can enjoy. ( Assuming any responsibilities are not neglected. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean, as a matter of fact I do have the Black Prince on the list, did not have the 15th Century Two Hander on the list for the sole reason of a pipe dream of being able to get a custom Two Hander several inches longer, but in reality, I cannot afford a $2,000 weapon at this point in my life. As a matter of fact, buying the Durer right now is pushing it, however I do have something happening in the very near future that will be of great help financially and will give me the opportunity to return the love and kindnesses that my mother did for me for so many years of my life. In that, she is selling her house and coming to live with us and making a very large profit.

Everytime we go to the Ren Fair, which is several times a summer, I handle the Two Hander, but in a very limited area of space, wow that thing is a beast!
Albion makes a sword that is very attractive to me, that is the "Duke", and of course the "Thegn", as well as a few others. Personally, I think the "Thegn" is one of the absolute finest swords I have ever had the pleasure to hold in my hands!
But being financially limited I am not in a position to cause either company to hire on more staff to meet my production demands. Laughing Out Loud But I'd sure love to be! Heck, I'd have Vince Evans and Peter Johnsson real busy too! Big Grin

However, in the reality of my own little world, money is limited, but that has it's benefit, as every acquisition is a challenge and a very thought out decision and this is what makes collecting these beautiful pieces so very much important and valueble to me. Happy

A Big Happy New Year Sword Salute to Everyone!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

Good that you are taking care of your Mom, I live with my 85 year old Mom and although she can sort of make most of her own meals and do very very light work she couldn't function by herself: Too little mobility to go out of the house.

Not that sad as she doesn't really miss going out much and is generally happy. Luckily we get along fine so it isn't a big burden it might be if our personalities clashed: So doing what I have a duty to do is actually a pleasure to still have her around.

Talking of bigger I have the 16th century " Venetian " two-hander by Del-tin: Now that is big and a couple of pounds heavier than the A & A: Got that one from Albion a few years back before they started making their own in large numbers. I think at the time they had maybe 3 to 4 models of their first generation swords available.

Think of the A & A GBS on steroids and with parrying hooks 7" from the guard and with 2 side rings and 64" overall length.
Not bad but with a few flaws like wavy and very shallow narrow fullers: Not that a lot of period pieces where also imprecise in symmetry or casual in geometric perfection that is more a modern concept.

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword sounds pretty cool Jean, sounds like you also have an affection for the big beastly swords as well.

I just wish the A&A Two Hander was about 6 inches longer, had the lugs on the blades and the ricasso between the crossguard and the lugs, also a wider crossguard would be nice and angled toward the tip, instead of straight. If it had all that, then I'd be real interested in it. I do have a few one handed swords, Henry V and the Knightly, also the Three Ring Italian Rapier, a 2nd Generation Pompeii Gladius, Paul Chen "Sir William Marshall Sword and the Wndlass Coustile which I sharpened up and sanded the laquer finish off. But I don't see myself acquiring much more, if any in the one hander department, as I have arthritis in both shoulders and in my spine, so the hand and a half swords and the two handers are easier for me to work with. My arthritis problems were caused by me, tried to be 25 for too many years. I played the game, so I own it.

Indeed, if I was one of the very wealthy, I'd have my own private museum of fine replica weapons. As it is, this is the "only" personal interest that I spend money on and I also drive a reliable beater van. I don't go out much at all in doing anything that would cost money. So basically, all money after responsibilities and realities, goes to this interest and this interest alone. I am truly in love with this hobby and this is the happiest I have ever been! So, I am very grateful to have found this obsession and it's really all I want in life other than good health and a little financial security. These are the only toys I want or need in life, indeed I am very very happy and glad to be amongst all of you!

Thanks,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

And you are very lucky that you have an understanding wife who sort of gets it herself. ( No wife so I don't have to deal with what someone thinks about how I spend my money. )

Well. if you modified the A & A two-hander that much it just wouldn't be the same kind of sword.

I find that my two two-handers are very different beasts: The A & A has a more rigid blade with a point much more usable as a thrusting weapon, the point although somewhat spatulate does taper a great deal. The Deltin two-hander is classical early 16th century and hardly tapers at all with a very rounded point, this should make devastating tip cuts against unarmoured body parts but the point would be useless against any minimal armour.

Also with the very wide guard and side rings you have a lot of advantages at the price of some agility.
The A & A two-hander is very much a less specialized tool except for it's larger size compare to most longswords like the Durer: More a very large greatsword for a Knight than a 16th century infantry weapon in my opinion.

Disclaimer: This is based on dry handling and what I think are logical assumptions and not cutting practice ! Always good to make one's experience clear so as to not give the impression of more expertise than one actually has.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

I just wish the A&A Two Hander was about 6 inches longer, had the lugs on the blades and the ricasso between the crossguard and the lugs, also a wider crossguard would be nice and angled toward the tip, instead of straight. If it had all that, then I'd be real interested in it.

Bob,
If it had all those things, it wouldn't be the sword A&A is replicating. Happy Rather than trying to bend a historical original into something it isn't, why not try to find a historical sword that fits your needs and see about having it custom made? There are plenty of great two-handers in museums and our photo albums (http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.ph...h=two+hand).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My cheerful news for the New Year and gratitude...         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
Okay, I feel like such a heel for not bringing my digital camera and uploading pictures this weekend. I promise photos
will come shortly, they are currently in the works! PROMISE!!!
Guys: it's more than awesome . . . it's totally (using the words of Pamela Muir) sexy!!!!
Well, I certainly never said that Freud was wrong. Wink
Quote:

Okay, I just thought I'd let everyone know how I felt. I promise to use each sword and let you all know how it turns out. Just let me drool a little longer . . .

So, when do I get to see them in person? Will you come out to play next Sunday? (Can I wait that long to see it?)

Happy New Year Girlfriend!

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, that's a really good point Chad, I have talked with Craig about various two handers and what they would cost. I am still totally undecided and months away from buying a Two Hander anyway. But the more I think about it and I have been going back and forth over and over, the replica that A&A has is much less cumbersome. Each and every time I buy a sword I debate what I want till I've about driven myself nuts with it. Laughing Out Loud

Probably in all likeliness when it comes down to it, I will probably order the A&A 15th Century Two Hander, it does indeed handle well for a sword of it's immense size.

Thanks for the link, some really beautiful two handers!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen;

Oh, forgot to congratulate you on your sword purchases. Big Grin Even if one strays from the original topic, one should try to not forget to address it also, but you know how these topic threads tend to have a life of their own.

The 1526 is the " Lady Ash " model I think: Went to the site to have a look, nice agile looking from the statistics longsword.

You can give us your own mini review / opinions about it Question Big Grin

The 1526 : http://www.angustrimdirect.com/models/unamed_1/unamed_1.htm

So there, I did my best to get the topic back on track. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
So there, I did my best to get the topic back on track. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Thanks, Jean. I found it quite impolite to hijack the thread given that this was Helen's place to share some of her good news.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen - I would be interested to know how you decided on the 1526, rather than one of Gus' other swords.
- Sir Toby Belch
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ahh, yes, the Lady Ash - perhaps the lightest, fastest, most maneuverable bastard that Gus makes. I bet it's almost like wielding a sword made out ot air.

Helen, which of their blade types did Darkwood put onto your rapier?
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, we really did get off track, I am personally looking forward to seeing some pictures of your swords, this is a very special thing, and there is just nothing like that first sword or swords!

Bob
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Thanks, Jean. I found it quite impolite to hijack the thread given that this was Helen's place to share some of her good news.

Thanks Jean and Nathan...

Okay, sorry it took me so long...the holidays and stuff like that. Yes dear Pamela: you will see them, play with them and
drool over them on Sunday between the both of us working *sigh*.

Steve:
I decided on the 1526 because I wanted a thin blade and not something rather bulky. I also wanted something
extremely light for my first sword. It sort of came recommended and someone did mention that this sword would just
fit me, you know something it does! BTW: it was nice meeting you.

Roger:
As far as the rapier goes I think I got the standard Darkwood practice rapier blade or was it the bated one. A heck, it's 37 inches.

Pictures as promised!!! (Let me know if you can't view them OR if you want more pictures)

The Lady Ash:
http://www.geocities.com/tigobi/AT3.jpg

The Lady Ash, Take two (just gorgeous!):
http://www.geocities.com/tigobi/AT2.jpg

My first cut with my Lady Ash (I'm so proud!):
http://www.geocities.com/tigobi/jug.jpg

Darkwood practice rapier:
http://www.geocities.com/tigobi/Rapier1.jpg

Zoom in on the hilt and pommel:
http://www.geocities.com/tigobi/Rapier2.jpg

Wider view with plates included:
http://www.geocities.com/tigobi/Rapier3.jpg
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't see them. I get a "site unavailable" message.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My cheerful news for the New Year and gratitude...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: