Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Evans Scramasax arrives. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Evans Scramasax arrives.         Reply with quote

My Scramasax, as made by Vince Evans, arrived yesterday.

I purchased this piece from Nordic Knives, a California based company. In spite of being nearly ten years old this knife is still in mint condition. It was obviously part of a collection rather than a using knife. The piece arrived on time, and well packaged.

The etching of the blade is rather subdued and does not exhibit the level of contrast that I have seen in pattern welded blades by other makers. This is a good thing, as it runs more in-line with my own personal tastes. I just don't care for the rather garish contrasts of much of the pattern welding currently being done.

The grip is fashioned from birds eye maple and its shape fits my hand perfectly. The file work on the brass furniture adds a nice touch of detail, without looking overdone. There is actually more detail to it then can be seen in the above photograph. This knife is that perfect compromise in terms of size. It is large enough to be used as an effective weapon, yet handy enough to be carried for everyday uses. While this is a custom piece I wouldn't feel uncomfortable using it as an everyday tool. If I was still involved in ren-faire and re-enactment work it would do just that. The knifes sheath is also well done with an authentic appearance. The sheath has a nicely rendered styilized Raven tooled into its front. Again, a nice touch of detail. The whole ensemble has a nice rustic yet quality feel to it. A perfect weapon to hang from the belt of a Viking warrior or Saxon Cheiftan.

It is interesting to compare this decade old knife to the newer Evans pieces in my collection. While it stands as a fine example of the bladesmiths craft, the small minute areas of its manufacture are a bit rougher around the edges than my more recently made pieces. It's a good hands-on example of a smiths evolution. All in all this Scramasax is a fine addition to my collection, and well worth the $500.00 price tag.

http://nordicknives.com/front.html

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on the new piece, Patrick. Sounds like it was made for you before you knew you wanted it!

Take care,

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice .... very nice !

Time for you to do an article on these babies :- )

Congrats again, Patrick ! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Eugene George

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Nice .... very nice !

Hear hear!

Gotta agree with Patrick on the subtle patterns too. Does it seem like lots of 'smiths are trying to make zebra-striped blades these days?

Britanniam Video!
Galliam Video!
Subligacula Aliquae Video! - Author Unknown
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Very Nice         Reply with quote

Thanks for your report on the initial impression of the Scaramasax.

Wonder when it was made. The earliest Evans blade I own is a Bowie, #825, purchased in 1995 new. It boasts the subdued contrast you spoke of on your Sax. Did you get a chance to ask Vince when he made it?

Like you, I look through my collection and sort of lay out the Evans pieces chronologically and try to see the progress made in technique and aesthetics. Good fun.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Nice         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Thanks for your report on the initial impression of the Scaramasax.

Wonder when it was made. The earliest Evans blade I own is a Bowie, #825, purchased in 1995 new. It boasts the subdued contrast you spoke of on your Sax. Did you get a chance to ask Vince when he made it?

Like you, I look through my collection and sort of lay out the Evans pieces chronologically and try to see the progress made in technique and aesthetics. Good fun.

Hi Stephen,

The Sax bears the number 740, so it predates your Bowie by a bit.

I haven't had a chance to talk to Vince about it yet. With my oldest son being home on leave, as well as other family members visiting for the holidays, my attention has been elsewhere. This is also why I haven't been posting much in the last two or three weeks.

As of today though everyone's left for home, and my son has shipped out for Greece, so maybe I can give Vince a call about it.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eugene George wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Nice .... very nice !

Hear hear!

Gotta agree with Patrick on the subtle patterns too. Does it seem like lots of 'smiths are trying to make zebra-striped blades these days?

Hi Gene,

I've always subscribed to the thought that "less is more". Too many modern makers don't seem to feel that way IMHO.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Evans Scramasax arrives.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic