Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Dec 26: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
80%
 80%  [ 42 ]
Very Good
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 52

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Dec 26: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Spotlight:
Oakeshott Type XX Swords
An article by Chad Arnow

Spotlight: Oakeshott Type XXI and XXII Swords

An article by Chad Arnow

Arms & Armor Oakeshott Type XX Sword

A hands-on review by Gordon Clark

Albion Armorers Viceroy Sword

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow and Doug Gardner

Valiant Armoury Mercenary Sword

A hands-on review by Alexi Goranov

Wallpaper: Albion Viceroy Sword

Created by Nathan Robinson

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice update guys, the two spotlight threads were a great read, and two very good new reviews. Great work guys.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job on the updates! The Type XX is one of those that don't get spoken of very often. I got to hold a Viceroy at a Round Table event once (in fact, it may have been the one Chad and Doug reviewed). I remember I was just test-driving a Baron when I picked up a Viceroy; the latter didn't feel nearly as heavy yet it's only 2 ounces lighter. I wonder why that is. Question

The Baron will quickly turn my forearms into jello, but I could fight on all day with the Viceroy. I know these two are vastly different in overall design, blade geometry, and especially balance. I was just surprised at how much "lighter" the Viceroy felt. I can say the same about the Regent.

Anyway, great job guys. Wink -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to Chad, Gordon, Doug, Alexi and Nathan for your fine efforts. They are much appreciated!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for the kind words on the spotlights. They weren't the easiest to write, since Oakeshott didn't give a ton of info for those Types. Nathan was able to find some great historical examples in the depths of his library, though, which really helped. I'm glad people like the final products.

Only one more installment to go in the Oakeshott Type spotlight series.... Happy

Kudos to the other authors, too, on a nice group of reviews. Gordon and Alexi always do nice work, and it was good to work with a new author/friend in Doug.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this one http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/S...Sword.aspx an XXI?
Anyway - I rather like it.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:

I don't think so, the guard seems too long and not curved like many other examples. The fullers also seem too narrow on that repro.

But that's just a gut feeling/reaction.

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gordon Clark wrote:

I don't think so, the guard seems too long and not curved like many other examples. The fullers also seem too narrow on that repro.

But that's just a gut feeling/reaction.

Is this the one you're discussing?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Yes, indeed. You don't have a pic of this original in the depths of your library, do you?

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Yes, indeed. You don't have a pic of this original in the depths of your library, do you?

Yes. It's discussed and shown In This Topic. Check it out.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Indeed. Let me amend my statement, then. Happy The repro I don't think fits the Type, but the original looks like it does.

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Indeed. Let me amend my statement, then. Happy The repro I don't think fits the Type, but the original looks like it does.

That's my thought, too. I almost included the original in the article but without a full photo of the sword, I wasn't able to put it in there. The repro's blade details aren't quite fitting to the type.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's my thought, too. I almost included the original in the article but without a full photo of the sword, I wasn't able to put it in there. The repro's blade details aren't quite fitting to the type.

The repro doesn't taper quite right and the fullers are too narrow. The guard also lacks some subtlety of the original. I'd forgotten about that pic of the original (obviously). Cool stuff.

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: XIX or XXa ??         Reply with quote

Great articles, but in my opinion MRLs longsword and the DT 2143 fits more to type XIX than into XXa.
The XIX-longswords which Oakeshott depicted in Records pg. 206 look very much the same like the longsword below and like http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dt2143.html

Thomas

Attachment: 11.24 KB
0500794_d_000000.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: XIX or XXa ??         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
Great articles, but in my opinion MRLs longsword and the DT 2143 fits more to type XIX than into XXa.
The XIX-longswords which Oakeshott depicted in Records pg. 206 look very much the same like the longsword below and like http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dt2143.html

Thomas

Thomas,
I'd have to disagree, but you'd expect that since I included those specifically Happy. The defining features of Type XIX (from our spotlight) are:

Quote:
short ricasso, hexagonal blade cross-section, well-defined single fuller

Those two you mentioned don't fit that definition of Type XIX, even with their other visual similarities. The ricassi are too long, the blades taper far too much, and they lack the well-defined hex section. Not every sword with narrow fullers on a ricasso fits Type XIX, nor do all type XIX's possess those fullers.

Of course, it's not always cut and dry and some of Oakeshott's classifications don't fit his own typology. For example, the River Thames sword listed as a Type XVII should probably be a Type XXa based on the fullered/hollowed ricasso and cross-section.

But the fact that we can discuss widely different swords with common terminology and a system of classification at all means his typology is working. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: XIX or XXa ??         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The defining features of Type XIX (from our spotlight) are:

Quote:
short ricasso, hexagonal blade cross-section, well-defined single fuller

Those two you mentioned don't fit that definition of Type XIX, even with their other visual similarities. The ricassi are too long, the blades taper far too much, and they lack the well-defined hex section. Not every sword with narrow fullers on a ricasso fits Type XIX, nor do all type XIX's possess those fullers.

Chad,
a teacher of mine used to say: "For discussing things, we first have to name them." Big Grin

I know, that the MRL and Del Tin don't fit into the written definition of XIX single handed swords, but they fit into the appearance of the XIX longswords on page 206 - although the Del Tin also could be a XXa.

(had to edit this)
My first thesis was, that the difference between XIX and XX was a ricasso, but then I found a ricasso at XXa.2 ...

Okay - so I have to admit, that I've got no Idea, whay Oakeshott put the swords on page 206 into XIX (in SAC he put this XIX and a XXa into XVII).
But these specific swords don't look like the other XXs or XXas in "records", they seem to be rather unique. They are less broader than XX, less tapering than XXa and have got a very strong ricasso (Seitz states that these special ricassos have riffled sides for better grasping).
So I don't know why, but the MRL longsword looks exactly like thes two XIX longswords.

Maybe Peter has an idea or explanation ...

Thomas

Thomas

Last edited by Thomas Laible on Thu 29 Dec, 2005 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: XIX or XXa ??         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
Chad,
a teacher of mine used to say: "For discussing things, we first have to name them." Big Grin

Thomas

Exactly. That's a main point of the typology: to give us a way to discuss these things. But, we don't have to agree on them either. Happy The typology, in Oakeshott's view, was a starting point, not an ending one. Some pieces seem to have been given a designation for reasons that aren't easily fathomable. In one tale, Oakeshott picked up a sword and remarked that it "felt like" a Type XVII, even though it didn't look like it. Some items got moved from type to type to "Unclassified." In one case, he spoke of sword that he "had the sense not to classify" in an earlier work though he did later. Even to the creator of the typology, it wasn't an exact science. Happy

The two Type XXa's we show in the spotlight have ricassi, but I wouldn't go so far as to call the ricasso a defining feature. The fuller arrangement (two short around one long) is more the key. The scent stoppers and guards tend more toward "typical" Type XX/XXa, but those aren't defining features either.

The amount of info on these late Types, the very few examples shown, and the contradictions make it hard to draw definitive conclusions. We looked at examples of things that could have been of Type XVII, XIX, XXa or something else entirely beyond the handful Oakeshott showed in Records when trying to decide what to include in the articles.

In the end, it'll be up to the reader to draw their own conclusions on where things fit, since we unfortunately can't ask Mr. Oakeshott to explain. I personally believe it's within the spirit of Oakeshott's intentions to say "It's a XIX with a long ricasso and atypical blade cross-section" or "It's a Type XXa" or "It's a longsword." Cool

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: XIX or XXa ??         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I personally believe it's within the spirit of Oakeshott's intentions to say "It's a XIX with a long ricasso and atypical blade cross-section" or "It's a Type XXa" or "It's a longsword." Cool

seem the best way for me too Cool
Thomas

anyway: very nice features
Doug Gardner

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
...I got to hold a Viceroy at a Round Table event once (in fact, it may have been the one Chad and Doug reviewed). I remember I was just test-driving a Baron when I picked up a Viceroy; the latter didn't feel nearly as heavy yet it's only 2 ounces lighter. I wonder why that is. Question

Ted,
You are correct. That is the very same Viceroy. I share many of the same observations as you. Chad brought some of his toys up for our little cutting session, and I picked up his Baron. I remember thinking "this is how I THOUGHT the Viceroy would feel." My thoughts on the Viceroy were really surprisingly similar to how I feel about the Sovereign. You look at them both and think "that's going to be heavy". But if you pick either of those up, you realize that they are surprisingly nimble. A classic case where the numbers don't tell you the whole story. I can't say if the weight distribution would put the Viceroy at a disadvantage on the battlefield, since we didn't do any heavy cutting with it. I suspect not too much, but can't back up my impression very well. As I understand the picture historically, you're enemies would have most likely to been wearing:
    1) Full plate, in which case you'd need to thrust into the soft bits if you're forced to use your sword
    2) Half flate, which would have left some vulnerable areas you could cut up or
    3) Varying types of softer armor, which the Viceroy would excel at

I think the Viceroy would give outstanding service for any of these cases, unless the situation demanded that you clang the guy on a closed salet. I think the Baron would be better for that, but still not as good as that mace (or a golf club). Wink

I do have a question that I'd like to hear a few opinions on.
The ricasso on that Viceroy... it does have a very clear central fuller. But, what are your opinions on the others? Would you classify those as fullers, or would you say that the ricasso is hollow-ground with a central fuller, and that the blade changes shape to a diamond cross section where the ricasso ends? I guess there is really only one question there, as it is clear that the blade changes cross-section after the ricasso. So the question is: do you think the Viceroy has 3 fullers, one fuller and a hollow-ground ricasso, or would you call it something else?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

--Doug

PS: I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to work with Chad! Don't let him fool you. He may be a musician in real-life, but he has a passion for this stuff, and with that goes motivation and curiosity. Combine that with a decent source for information, and you've got some insight. I thoroughly enjoyed it, Chad! Next time, I'll try to have some cucumber sandwiches and tea... Cool

Doug Gardner

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Dec 26: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic