Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shipped a piece to Albion today.. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Shipped a piece to Albion today..         Reply with quote

I finally did it. After talking with Howy off and on for a couple of months, I've shipped a piece off to Albion for documentation. The piece in question is a mid to late 1800's fencing/duelling sabre, of German manufacture, but which is appropriate for Radaelli/Santelli sabre as well.

Now, the waiting begins.. thats right, in a moment of weakness, I used UPS (there is a UPS store right by my house, and yes, I am that lazy) Now I get to spend a couple days wondering what Brown can do *to* me.

I insured it for twice what I paid for it, which will still be small consolation if Brown breaks it - as antique, curved blade fencing/duelling sabres are nearly irreplaceable. *sigh*

Cry My baby has gone off and left me... Cry Ok, maybe thats overdramatic... but anyway, I've attached a picture of the sabre in question.

Blade length is about 34.5 inches, with about 3/4" of curvature, width of the blade is about 5/8" at the hilt tapering to 1/2" at the tip, and the thickness of the blade is roughly 1/4" with distal taper down to about 3/16th" at the tip. it weighs about half again that of a modern fencing sabre, and is balanced roughly the same - but it does have a lot more presence. Handling is *nice*.

If anyone is interested in having proper, curved, duelling or fencing sabres, this would be the time to voice your support for the idea..

Thanks for listening to my babbling.

Chris

Attachment: 50.52 KB
[ Download ]

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipped a piece to Albion today..         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:

If anyone is interested in having proper, curved, duelling or fencing sabres, this would be the time to voice your support for the idea.

I am game for one. I would also hazard a guess and say that there is a small community of fencers out there that would be interested as well.

James
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that pic Chris. As an old Saberist I always like seeing this stuff.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thanks for posting that pic Chris. As an old Saberist I always like seeing this stuff.

Yeah, its neat to see what things used to be like back before it all became a silly game.

BTW, I leave for Topeka for Law School at Washburn tomorrow, so if you end up in Topeka for training or anything like that give me a yell - I'll have most of my toys up there.. I'll definitely have the Armart and the Studio M. sabre up there.

James, glad to hear you'd be interested. I've floated the idea past some of the classical fencing community (primarily people whom I know that have a Radaellian lineage, as we've got something in common - and have had some interest there. I think it'll really take off once some sort of price point, options, a final go-head, prototype, or whatnot, is made... I have no idea on any of that stuff though.. I've made some suggestions to Howy, and donated the use of my sabre.... hopefully we'll know something more in a few weeks...

I absolutely love this blade, and I think Albion could really do it justice, both in sharps and blunts... it really is what a real duelling sabre is supposed to feel like.. It allows a whole vast area of false edge work that just isn't possible/feasible with a straight sabre, and has just enough weight to allow things like binds and glides that have all but dissappeared from the modern game, to be taught, learned, and used very well..

chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shipped a piece to Albion today..
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic