Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hi everyone! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Hi everyone!         Reply with quote

Hi, I have found this page while looking for the original of an Deltin Sword. I am new here and from Austria. I am collecting that kind of weapons since about 12 years. I began with asian weapons. They are probably "wallhangers". I have 2 Katanas, 2 Sai Forks, a Nunchaku and the Three-part-kind of a Nunchaku, I remember its name is Sam Yeet Kuon. Later, about 3 years ago, my girlfriend made me a present: an one-and-a-half Sword. It was the 5161 from Deltin, the swedish Bastard Sword. This was the beginning of my new hobby. The things that followed: a (shame over me) Lord of the Ring sword from Kovex-Ars plus an Axe. The next thing was again from Deltin, the german HH Sword 2160. Then a HH from Fabri Armourum. Also a present from my girlfriend was a workshop with an Austrian Swordsmith, Johann Schmidberger. I built a dagger in the style of the Swedish HH from Deltin. I also took a sword blade from this smith. With that blade I built an own HH sword, probably in style of 13th or 14th century. The next things that followed were: a magyar horsebow from Flagella Dei from Hungary, a lance and a viking axe from Schmidberger, a viking sword of Kovex-Ars, and the 5149 and the 2104 from Deltin. I have now two things in order, two Berdiches. One is again from Schmidberger, the other one is from another Medieval weapon maker, but I am not sure if I may say his name here. There are several things I made for my own, a leather armoury and a round shield. The last things are some armour parts, two chainmail-coifs and some other things made of leather. So, I think that is all for now. Hope to earn new knowledge here.

Best regards Peter Hell
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. My brother found this site, and emailed me the link to the weapon comparison chart (which is awesome, but needs some new material). I didn't start reading the forums until months later, after I had read every single review and featured article, some two or three times. Eek! Most forums make me weep for the English language. This forum RAAAWKS!!!

I started with two SLO wakazashis, some chucks, and a pair of sais back in the early 90's. I still have them all, and love them, though I wouldn't spend in that direction anymore. We tend buy what interests us, which is often that falls within our economic reality. Chucks are cheap. Laughing Out Loud

Oh yes, and please post a pic of that bow, it sounds cool.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Horsebow         Reply with quote

Hi! I have found this Horsebow-manufacture in another forum. They make replikas of every kind of horsebow from the eastern horsemen, Magyar, Huns, Krim-Tatar, Osman and so on. The link is www.flagelladei.hu, in the moment I have some troubles to get to that site. My bow is a Magyar Horsebow. The throwing arms are laminated with horn. The bow is made of wood, with glassfibre in the middle. The bow is "dressed" in black leather. My one has 50 pounds, its enough power to throw an arrow over about 200 meters. I will try to put a photo in here, but I'm not sure if I can.

Best regards Peter Hell

Attachment: 6.79 KB
IMG_0600.jpg

John Cooksey

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a pretty nice collection going on there!

And I really like the bow.
I love horsebows myself.
Can't shoot at range that well, but I can shoot pretty well instinctively at short range.
The whole right-handed, left-eye dominant thing really gets in the way . . . . .

I used to shoot a 65-pound recurve all the time, but let myself get out of practice.
Still need to get back into the old Parthian/Sassanian practice of 100 pulls a day.
Keeps one fit and ready for action . . . :-)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter, welcome, I joined in early September myself, I had just started collecting in the months prior having discovered for the first time that I had a passion for good and fine quality replica swords and weapons of Europe. I went a bit nuts and sank over $5,000.00 in a matter of 3 months. Believe me, money does not come my way easily, not by any means, but something burned in me like a fire to invest this amount of money as a launch into my newfound love of life.

Since then, I backed off buying except for a couple of items that were not expensive, but something just fired inside of me to make this initial investment, which also included several books. I can honestly say I do not regret spending one dime of what I did to get started and I sacrificed other wants to allow myself this one time for me large indulgence.

Having joined "myArmoury" was the best thing I could have done for myself in this area, so many people with so much knowledge to share who have this same passion of interest. Certainly, one does not need to make a large investment like I did to get started. Really, all a person needs is maybe to buy one sword if they can afford to do so and take time in future selections.

For me, I scoured over the swords that interested me and put a whole lot of thought into it, one of those rare times in my life that a few bucks came my way ironically just at the time that I really had discovered this interest, I was able to take a plunge.

Besides, too much too fast and it diffuses the passion, anticipation, warmth in heart and spirit of acquiring pieces and now I am just taking my time, besides I have no place in my budget right now for purchasing anything along these lines.

Your going to meet a whole bunch of great people who share what you like and there is so much to learn from them, it is just endless. I think of people as walking libraries and so here I have friends with a mutual interest and they are all walking libraries to learn from and to share with.

myArmoury, is now ground zero of importance to me, this is headquarters, the place to get the best advice you could possibly ask for and it has been invaluable to me! Especially, just being a beginner, though I do have an eye for quality, there is so much I do not know.

Welcome to a really great place on the internet Peter and I look forward to reading your posts.

Bob
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a nice start on a collection. Congratulations on making your own dagger, and, if I understood correctly, hilting a blade. Not everyone can say that they have made their own pieces. It is very satisfying to do, and definately something to be proud of.

I need to meet a young lady who buys me swords. Can I borrow your girlfriend for a while? Razz

John Cooksey wrote:
Can't shoot at range that well, but I can shoot pretty well instinctively at short range.
The whole right-handed, left-eye dominant thing really gets in the way . . . . .

I sympathise with your cross-dominate nature. I, too, am right handed but left eye dominate. The solution that I have always used is simply to shoot left handed. That is how my father started me out, and I think it was the best solution. Rifles, bows, and shotguns all get shot like a lefty.

We thought, however, that I could shoot pistols right handed, as all you have to do is hold your hand/arm accross the body a little more. As long as I was shooting .22 caliber pistols, and even some 9mm's that was OK, but when I got my .45 it just didn't work anymore. My wrist isn't strong enough to keep the gun from moving, and I had very inconsistent shot groups. I switched to the left hand so that my arm/wrist would be in a straight line. Vola! I can shoot again.

I mention that so that you realize that yes, I have had to retrain myself to shoot left handed. It is worth it! I'm no great shakes with a bow, but I would hate to think about it if I were shooting with the wrong arm. I would recomend that you make yourself shoot left handed for a while. I think there is a good chance that you won't go back to your right hand.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to this forum, Peter. And, congratulations on finding such a wonderful girlfriend! In the U.S., we would call her a "keeper" (i.e., by all means, keep her, don't throw her away!!).
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Strange time....         Reply with quote

... but this time is over. My girlfriend left me just one week ago. Not the right place to post it, but still a final information. Anyway, she isn't the reason yet to collect some more pieces, so I will going on joining this hobby (of course, why not...). One more problem is now, that I haven't got the possibility to use the i-net so easy, because I had to go, and I have no i-net in my own flat. But I will in short time (I hope so). If my own i-net is working, I will create my own homepage to present my collection. I will tell all of you when time has come. So, sorry guys, I hope to have the possibility to post as often as possible here. See ya,

Greetings, Peter Hell
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Postscript:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Peter,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've got a nice start on a collection. Congratulations on making your own dagger, and, if I understood correctly, hilting a blade. Not everyone can say that they have made their own pieces. It is very satisfying to do, and definately something to be proud of.

I've tried to put a photo of it in here. Hope it works. Gr., Peter Hell

Attachment: 96.92 KB
[ Download ]
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

That is very nice! I wish my first effort at bladesmithing looked like that.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a good looking dagger, Peter. I wish you the best of luck with your personal arrangements.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi everyone!         Reply with quote

Peter Hell wrote:
my girlfriend made me a present: an one-and-a-half Sword.

Your girlfriend made you a sword? Awesome!

Welcome aboard!
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hi everyone!         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Peter Hell wrote:
my girlfriend made me a present: an one-and-a-half Sword.

Your girlfriend made you a sword? Awesome!

Welcome aboard!

Sorry.... My english isn't so good. But I think it's better than your german :-)

Greetings, Peter Hell
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where in Austria do you live, Peter? I lived in Krems (Angern) for a year in 1999-2000 and saw much of the country. That was before I knew much about arms and armour, so I missed some fantastic opportunities to do research in museums. Worried
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Postscript:         Reply with quote

Peter Hell wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:
Peter,

I've tried to put a photo of it in here. Hope it works. Gr., Peter Hell

That is a cool looking dagger Peter! Did you make all the parts yourself, or buy premade parts? Forged or cast? Just curious.

"Tuitio fidei et obsequium pauperum."
- The Knights Hospitaller, 1130 AD
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Where in Austria do you live, Peter? I lived in Krems (Angern) for a year in 1999-2000 and saw much of the country. That was before I knew much about arms and armour, so I missed some fantastic opportunities to do research in museums. Worried

I am living not very far from Krems, about 30 kilometers south of it. You are right: not far in the north of Krems is the "Waldviertel", translation "Forestquarter". Great castles are there, the Rosenburg, Rappottenstein, Hardegg and so on. Also very interesting ruins. The greatest one is Kollmitz. It was a mighty castle long time ago. If you come back to Austria once a time, you have to visit it. And if there is some time left: Visit the Forchtenstein, the Kreuzenstein and the Hochosterwitz too.

Greetings, Peter Hell
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Postscript:         Reply with quote

[

That is a cool looking dagger Peter! Did you make all the parts yourself, or buy premade parts? Forged or cast? Just curious.[/quote]

The dagger is allready forged, all parts were made by myself (with biiiiig help of Mr. Schmidberger). We used a normal and a mechanical hammer for the blade and the crossguard. An own mechanical hammer with a special form was used for the form of the blade. It is a little bit difficult for me to describe it, because my dictionary hasn't all translations for all the words I want to use here. The Grip is made of wood, an old leather-trouser of me spent the leather for the grip. I just told, I wanted to have a miniature of my Deltin Sword, I think it works.

Best regards Peter Hell

Attachment: 98.89 KB
[ Download ]
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, yes, Rosenburg! We visited that and just about every little museum in NÖ. My wife was studying the Roman Donau Limes, so we spent lots of time driving around in muddy fields on the south side of the Danube. We have fond memories of the beautiful region!

Your name sounds very familiar, Peter. I was an English language teaching assistant in two schools in Krems. Is it possible you were in school then?

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Peter Hell

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Your name sounds very familiar, Peter. I was an English language teaching assistant in two schools in Krems. Is it possible you were in school then?

No, I wasn't in school in Krems. The name Hell is very frequent in Austria. I went to school in St. Pölten, the next "big" town in the south, and some smaller villages near of it. I was in the Army in Krems, or better Mautern. This is on the other side of the Danube of Krems. I stayed there for 8 months, but this was from 1994-1995. But you can tell me if you come back once a time. Then I can show you some interesting things here.

Best regards Peter Hell
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Hell wrote:
No, I wasn't in school in Krems. The name Hell is very frequent in Austria. I went to school in St. Pölten, the next "big" town in the south, and some smaller villages near of it. I was in the Army in Krems, or better Mautern. This is on the other side of the Danube of Krems. I stayed there for 8 months, but this was from 1994-1995. But you can tell me if you come back once a time. Then I can show you some interesting things here. Best regards Peter Hell

Oh, yes, I know both St. Pölten and Mautern quite well. The army base in Mautern is on the site of a Roman cemetery, if I remember correctly. Our little town, Angern, was (is) very close to Mautern on the south side of the river. A friend, Viktor Groschedl, lives in Mautern.

Sorry to hijack the thread! Your work on the dagger is outstanding!

-Sean

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hi everyone!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: