Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museum Trip Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Museum Trip         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm planning a day trip to the Higgins Museum, in Worchester, MA for Friday. I'm very excited to be going, as I have heard it is a very interesting place. The "Mecca of North American Arms Collectors" I believe I've seen it called. Lucky for me I live relatively close by.

Before going, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, for those of you who have been to the museum, is there anything I should know before going? Anything you would advise me to take special care to see? As I've never been before, any tips from people who have been would be appreciated. I certainly want to make the most of my day.

Secondly, if there is anything of special interest to any of you that I may be able to take pictures of, feel free to let me know. I would be more than happy to get pictures of anything of particular interest for the forum.

Thanks guys,

Kenton
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,

I would appreciate any photos you care to post but in particular I'd love to see any Chinese straight swords they might have on exhibit.

While browsing their website I found a virtual display which shows video demonstrations of armored combat....very interesting.

http://users.wpi.edu/~jforgeng/ArmoredCbtIQP/...METOP.HTML
John O'Brien

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kenton-

Before you go take at look at the web site - /www.higgins.org/.

Also, this SAT 12/10/05 is Holidays at the Higgins. Most of the day there will be demos by the Higgins Sword Guild and other groups as well. The Guild ( I'm a member) will be doing rapier, halberd, falchion, dagger, sword and buckler, smallsword, and saber at one time or the other.

Anyone else that can make it, please come.

BTW, this is my 1st post with this group.

"The entire secret of arms consists of only two things,
to give, and not to receive." - Moliere
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris,

I will try to make sure and get that for you. Chinese arms haven't been a particular interest to me, perhaps this can change my mind Surprised

John,

I have checked out the website and saw the information on the demo's you were referring to. Very cool looking stuff you have going on down there. Unfortunately, Saturday is out of the question for me, I'm sure I would have loved to see the demonstration. I spent a year and a half going to school in Springfield, and a professor actually told my class to try and get to the museum if possible. Of course I didn't...foolish me, nor did I get to the Basketball Hall of Fame which was only about two miles from campus, but I digress...thank you for your info, maybe in the future I will see a demonstration. It seems they take place quite frequently.

Kenton
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kenton

Checkout this album : The Higgins Armoury
It will give you a bit of an idea of some of the things they have on display there !

It's a good take, have fun, Mac
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After being delayed a day, due in part to snow, I made it to the Higgins Armoury Museum today, and boy was I glad for the delay! As if the fine collection of Medieval arms and armour were not enough, I also got to see some fantastic displays put on by the fine people of the Higgins Armoury Sword Guild. Demonstrations included, Roman Legionaries, rapier and dagger fighting, sword and buckler, halberd demonstrations, falchion demonstrations, rondel demonstrations, and a Viking demonstration. These were all quite well done, especially for the relatively short amount of time each area was allotted. I really enjoyed these demonstrations and my thanks to the people of the Guild.

As for the museum, for those interested in pole weapons, such as pikes, halberds, and glaives, this is the place for you! Many, many surviving originals line the walls of the "Great Hall" (which in and of itself is quite interesting IMHO). There were also numerous full suits of armour, in many different styles.

My favorite pieces in the museum would probably be the type XIV sword, the corinthian helm, the bronze sword from B.C., any and all sallets, the cinqueda, and...aw heck, it was all cool! Seeing my first type XIV sword was awesome. You cannot grasp the width of those bad boys on the page of a book or on a computer screen. That thing was a mean son of a gun.

Until you see this stuff for real you really cannot appreciate the craftsmanship. I could not believe the detail on some of the suits of armour. Every little rivet was in and of itself a work of art. The gauntlet of Phillip II (I think it was the second, I knew I should have taken notes!) was really a sight to behold. The craftsmanship is nearly mind boggling! I took some pictures, hopefully they will come out good (knock on wood) so I can post them.

I feel l learned a lot on this trip, and really had a great time hanging out with my brother too. I know he liked it, he got killed by a Roman, and recruited into the Burgundian Army all in one day! Where else can you do that!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museum Trip
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic