Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Improved content organization Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan: Oh, no does that mean that there are other Easter Eggs of secret features on the site you haven't told anybody about. Razz
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan: Oh, no does that mean that there are other Easter Eggs of secret features on the site you haven't told anybody about. Razz

Yes. There's a crazy number of them. If the technology exists, it's likely I did something with it.

After all, myArmoury.com is just my development platform for real work. If I find something interesting, I use this place to explore it. I used to always get held back by lack of "content" in which to implement something. I no longer have that problem Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

I'm starting to feel like an experimental animal: Oh, no here come that big thing in the white coat with the really big needle as I desperately try to dig myself a hole in the woodchips at the bottom of my cage. Razz Wink

I would try running away next time he opens the cage door but all the special treats ( Features, reviews. collections ....... etc...)
are just to good to miss. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Sorry, the image in my head was too strong to resist. Wink

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new page tracking system I made has already shown a few things i didn't know. One thing that was interesting is that many of you access our Links Page a ton: multiple times a day, in fact. It's one of the most popular pages in terms of being repeatedly accessed by the same people. It looks like many members are using that page as a form of a portal to other sites on the 'net. Sweet.

Based on that tidbit of knowledge, I added a new function to the site:

Our Links Page now lets you mark links as "Favorite Links".

Obviously, you have to be a registered member to take advantage of this.

More to come with this feature.

Enjoy.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the Links Page. It works now Happy

Too bad I only have time to program at night in place of sleeping. Haha

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I added a Favorites Manager that lets you manage your favorite pages, links, and topics all in one place. You can mark and save these items for later review. With the new homepage customizer, you can have your favorites sitting on your home page for easy access, too.

You can also go to the favorites manager and see the top-10 favorites as selected by all of the members of myArmoury.com.

More frivolous features from the master of useless technology.

Cheers.

C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The new page tracking system I made has already shown a few things i didn't know. One thing that was interesting is that many of you access our Links Page a ton: multiple times a day, in fact. It's one of the most popular pages in terms of being repeatedly accessed by the same people. It looks like many members are using that page as a form of a portal to other sites on the 'net. Sweet.

Based on that tidbit of knowledge, I added a new function to the site:

Our Links Page now lets you mark links as "Favorite Links".

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who uses your links page in place of my own bookmarks.
This is a great new feature Nathan, and one that's sure to grow in usefulness as the links page and the site expands. You've been doing a fantastic job with these recent updates! Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Maybe you could do an update of the ( INFO ) block (?) with a list and how too of the new features ?

One nice thing though is that when you do add new features they don't end up being things you have to use or jump over to get back to what you were doing before.

In other words not turn the site into a steeplechase Razz Laughing Out Loud ( Good user friendly design at all times. )

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan;

Maybe you could do an update of the ( INFO ) block (?) with a list and how too of the new features ?

One nice thing though is that when you do add new features they don't end up being things you have to use or jump over to get back to what you were doing before.

I had intended to make help info pages for all this, but then I decided to wait until I was done. And, well, nobody reads those things anyway. I get a lot of questions emailed to me about stuff that's already explicitly explained there. Happy

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good Idea to wait until it's all done but are you sure you will ever be " DONE ". Wink

I guess I'm the only one who ever read the whole ( INFO ) block ! Laughing Out Loud

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Old UBB boards are less intensive (ala NetSword) and some VB boards let me select down to five posts per page. SFI lets me turn off imaging, signatures etc but I still run out of room there on text intensive threads, so there is something about VB that requires a lot of cache.

Glen, I've added a few features based on your feedback:

As you know I've already added an option to change the number of posts per page to the user preferences.

Just now, I added the ability to turn off both attached images and linked images in forum posts. Upon turning this feature off, the images are turned into links that you can optionally click to see the image if you should choose to.

You can find both settings in the "Browsing Preferences" area in:

Profile> Edit Your Preferences

For everybody else, I also want to tell you that I reorganized the entire profile and preference area to make it a bit more integrated with the entire site. Things are now split into the appropriate categories and are grouped logically. There's all kinds of stuff you can change in there to make your browsing experience exactly how you want it.

Enjoy.

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Was just wondering how much traffic the "Compare" feature here gets. Seems there has been alot of new stuff that's
come along that hasn't made it's way to this particular part of the site. I know you are extremely busy with other aspects
of the site, that's why I asked about the traffic flow it generates and if it would be worth the time to update.

Thanks for ALL that you do lad,

Cheers,
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic! Although web design and computers in general are far beyond my scope of knowledge as I am a pc nimbnull to be honest, but I can only imagine the task this has been. I know this much though, Nathan you have created a wonderful website and it is an enormous amount of help to me, in fact it is of course "ground zero" in importance to me.
Most of my book selections have been as a result of this website, recently finished Archeololgy of Weapons by Ewart Oakeshott.
The finest swordsmiths are here (this includes companies like Albion and Arms & Armor), masters of the sword martial arts like Christian Henry Tobler and colleagues. For a beginner like myself, this website is invaluable, even as little as I yet know, since I have joined in early September I have learned so much because of myArmoury.

I am of great personal appreciation to you for this website!

Bob
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Nathan,

Was just wondering how much traffic the "Compare" feature here gets. Seems there has been alot of new stuff that's
come along that hasn't made it's way to this particular part of the site. I know you are extremely busy with other aspects
of the site, that's why I asked about the traffic flow it generates and if it would be worth the time to update.

Thanks for ALL that you do lad,

A ton of traffic. It's very popular. It's one of the biggest "entry points" on the site, in fact. If you want to know the truth, well, here it is. Ugly and blunt style: Cool

I've asked for help updating it, but haven't received any. I'm really short on recources with the site. My "call to articles" post got very few respones. My request for people interested in being a team member got none. This leaves a lot on my shoulders to make this site happen.

I've messages makers for images and stats before. I've also messaged them for permission to use the photos on their Web-sites. The only one to respond and help was A&A. That was a bit of a bummer to say the least.

To do the Weapons Comparison Tool I'll need to re-do it and then add to it from there. It's a lot of work. Know anyone who wants to spend about 20 hours doing data entry and an additional 10 hours messaging people getting the assets together? If so, steer them my way! I need the help. Haha.. I'll do the other 25 hours of programming and graphics production to put it all together.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Basic Low-bandwidth Version[         Reply with quote

Spurred by Glen's need, I have added a Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum for those wishing to browse using a less-than-fully-featured Internet appliance such a cell phone, PDA, WebTV, or whatever.

To find this Basic Low-bandwidth Version, look for the link way down on any forum page near the copyright notice.

Not only does it not show as much information as the rest of the forum, it also doesn't have as much functionality. Images are kept to a minimum. Posted images are turned into links. Some features are gone, by design, others are crippled and work as a subset of what they would normally.

I wanted to make it a link rather than a preference because I want to make users turn it on upon each loading of their browser. I don't really want this to be an always-on thing because there's too much info missing from this version.

I haven't done much testing. It's low on my list of priorities. It basically works so that's good enough for now.

Enjoy!

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You rock Nathan;)

Thanks for the effort and thought, really.

I'm lazy at heart sometimes but earlier today I was kicked back across the room, reading a forum, filing a blade shoulder and watching the news. I did have to put the file down to reply to a pm. My pc does get some use but I prefer the surfing experience I got accustomed to.

The new MSN webbie does broadband but lacks the nifty newsreader this thing has. AOL triedd a set top and gave it up. With HDTV on the rise, there may be some new approaches coming.

Thanks again,

GC
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

I love the snowflakes! Big Grin Very festive.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Improved content organization
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: