Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword along with the rest of your outfit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: sword along with the rest of your outfit         Reply with quote

how many people out there got a sword and desided to builda kit (historical or fantasy) around it? any pictures? come on you know who you are.

like patrick did.

anyone else?
Mark Gattis

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Just like you said.         Reply with quote

Chuck-

I just got my first semi-historical sword and have been thinking of building a period costume to go with it. something around 1400 (early 15th century).

Mark
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: sword along with the rest of your outfit         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
how many people out there got a sword and desided to builda kit (historical or fantasy) around it? any pictures? come on you know who you are.

In my case, the sword never really came first... at least, I had an interest in the period, had intent on building a kit, and the sword came perhaps before the rest. At this point, it'd be hard for me to pick a kit of ANY time period I'd be interested in and not have a representative sword. Yeah, it just sucks to be me... Razz

Right now, here's the list...

11th C Viking kit - could use the Hersir, Berserkr... I used to have a good Viking kit, but that was a good while ago. I intend upon building one again. Oh, and after playing with the Thegn here this past week, that may make the list of future acquisitions...

12th C Templar - had the Ritter, but had been working on the kit prior. Now, I could use the Templar or the Reeve, too... This kit is done, but no pics anywhere of the finished thing.

14th C German civillian - there's a neat little piece called the Brescia... This one's done, save the scabbard. You can't wait to see what I have planned for that one. Oh, I suppose I could "suffer" with a Knecht. Holy crap is that a neat handling piece... but that's another story.

15th C German knight - Regent, Munich. German high gothic armour is being built now.

16th C English knight - had to step out a little bit here and go with a poleaxe... Harness is being made now - has been in the works a while - it came before the weaponry.

I could go with a 16th C German civillian as well... my German Rapier would be a perfect piece for that.

Playing with those Roman pieces from Albion certainly gave me a few minutes thought on joining a Legion, but it's just not my thing... friggin' unreal swords, though, I gotta tell you.

And then there's the flip side... the fantasy realm. I'd have to go Through the Looking Glass for that one... Snicker-snack! Wink I doubt I'll go that route, though... No chance I could do that piece justice in a kit.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: sword along with the rest of your outfit         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:

like patrick did.

anyone else?

Chuck,
Interesting question, and similar to one I was considering asking. I was leaning more toward asking about purchases that had led to other purchases, but this is a very similar concept.

I never had much of an interest in building a kit until I got the Sempach. A helm here or there was enough before that one arrived. For some reason, though, I now have this desire (which finances will likely never allow me to realize) to put together a full 14th century "transitional" harness.

It's interesting to me that other sword purchases more typical to my tastes and preferences haven't evoked this desire while one purchase of a kind of oddball sword has. I wish I knew why. It may be because the Sempach family of swords just screams late 14th century/early 15th and seems to have been popular in England and on the continent. It may also be because I love transitional armour. I also dig flamboyancy of the whole look (multiple colors and fabrics, layered cuts so that gambeson/haubergeon/jupon are all visible, and those fantastic crested helms, etc.) which is totally out of line with how I dress in everyday life.

I have a pair of hourglass gauntlets on the way, but no bascinet, early arm and leg defenses, hauberk, gambeson, breastplate, jupon, or crested great helm. Maybe some day..... Worried

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My obsession with Mortuary's & the ECW, have led me to dream of putting together a Cromwellian
harquebusier kit. But due to budget limitations, just never have gotten around to pursuing it to any great
detail. To pick up a riding gauntlet, buff coat and lobster pot helm would do nicely.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm working on a mid 13th man -at-arms kit myself.
May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have some typical ren faire non-historical garb, whihc is fine for historical fantasy.

Now I'm really trying to finalize a persona and kit for the mid-to-late 15th century. The German side of my family line goes back to Greisbach in Elsass (hill country East of Strasburg) and on up the Rhine into Switzerland. Apparently Imperial territory sometimes under the adminstration of Burgundy.

Unfortuately I have just about nothing on hand for what I think I want to build. My Regent is probably too upper crust (although probably period appropriate) for what I can afford to do. Good news is I have an Earl on order, whihc might not be too fancy and is of the right period. Full Hardness is out of the question (too exepensive and my size fluctuates inconveniently). So I'm probably going to try to get some base period clothing then a brigandine and helm in the next couple years so I can pull off an a foot levy or archer (will need accessories, dagger, bow, arrows, etc.). cOmpleteion is stilla long ways off, assuming I ever get there.

From what I can see thus far, an archer seems to be the most cost effective place to start and have something useable. From that foundation it seems possible to build something more elaborate. Easy to add arms, legs, and eventualy transition to a a more or less full suit hodge podge if I want to.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Havn't done it yet, but it's "on my list" to have three full sets of period-appropriate armor before I get too old to wear them.

Chronologically speaking, I'd like to have a good kit of bronze age armor, ranging in time from somewhere between 1200 BC and 550 BC. It would be a mis-mash of styles, quite deliberately, probably centered around a cuirass of heavy bronze scales or lamellae fastened to a leather backing, with a solid helm and a heavy plated war-belt or belly-band.

Next up, A late Parthian or early Sassanian armor (which would also serve reasonably well right up through the Middle Ages for my eastern focus): lamellar and mail, with splinted arms and legs, and spangenhelm with "mail veil".

Finally, I'd end up with a good Gothic full harness, minus sabatons. :-)
Not too fascinated my Medieval Western Europe, but you gotta love that armor.

I already have my perfect sword for my bronze age set: Al Massey hybrid leaf sword, with "Hittite" blade and "Egyptian" hilt. It's a fantasy piece, but it's not outlandish, and it is wicked. It even has a story behind it, all set for a "persona" who just happens to be a younger son of Rameses II by a Hittite bride . . . . . .

Heh heh heh . . . I kill me. :-)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Jacobite inspired oufit was built up from many a Scottish baskethilt purchase !

Alba gu brath, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac, your Scotish kit was actually one of the things that inspired me to go ahead with my 11th century stuff. I've never been an armour nut, but I've always loved that era and I've wanted gear like this since I was a little kid. One of the things that always stopped me was the fact that I don't really have a need for it. I'm not in any kind of group where I can get a lot of use out of the stuff and it will spend the majority of it's time in a trunk. However, I kept thinking about your nice Highland kit and finally decided that if you could do it so could I. Big Grin

The other factor was that I was getting a bit tired of nothing but swords, swords, swords, all the time. It was time to move in another direction for a while.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I am still too much the newbie. I have been obsessed with swords for only a couple of years. I have considered heading in the Roman Legionary direction, and also 16th century, based on ancestral lines. But my gene pool is pretty much a "Heinz 57 Varieties" hodge-podge, so I could really go in just about any direction. Got to wait for finances to straighten out a bit, first, though. Still recovering from daughter's wedding, plus my youngest is heading off to the university next year. And there some swords that I think I really need first....
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah Steve I'm gonna go with my ancestry. I'll be Anglo-Welch-lrish-Scot-Hebrew-Italian-Basque-French-German-Hungarian-Rus-Czech-Austrian. The outfit is really complex. Eek!

I've always loved that pic of Mac. It's not my period or culture of focus, but you do it so darn well, and with such zeal, it peaks my interest. Plus you're the master of the "I'm gonna bite out yer windpipe" stare. Evil Laughing Out Loud

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I guess I am still too much the newbie. I have been obsessed with swords for only a couple of years. I have considered heading in the Roman Legionary direction, and also 16th century, based on ancestral lines. But my gene pool is pretty much a "Heinz 57 Varieties" hodge-podge, so I could really go in just about any direction. Got to wait for finances to straighten out a bit, first, though. Still recovering from daughter's wedding, plus my youngest is heading off to the university next year. And there some swords that I think I really need first....

Heinz 57, eh?
I get that.
I tend to refer to my own ancestry as a dog's breakfast. :-)

A little bit English, a lot bit Welsh, a fair bit Swiss German, and more than a little bit Tsalagee (Cherokee).
I could go in a lot of directions, but I consider myself Scythian as much as anything else.
Sometimes, intellectual/emotional ancestry is important as bloodlines . . . . .

There may be more than one reason that I love the akinakes and the bow!!! :-)

Edited to add:
P.S. Patrick, I like your signature line!!!

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

cool guys keep it coming Happy

peronally i got the kit then the sword. but the only living history presentation kits i have is 1470s english billman and longbowman, 11thc noble class (hastings era). 9th & 10thc viking warrior. 1st c. roman soilder and a 14thc peasant.

a lot of my kits over lap with makes it nice. ehhe take points from kit a and b to make c and so forth.

now kits to make:

sutton hoo
14thc man at arms
9th-10thc Dane lord

now i need some sharpes. most if not all my weapons are blunted for steel fighting. only things not dual are my ballock dagger, vikign axe, bec de corbin, and halberd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread got me out looking for linen and wool today.

So far I can't find anything thats not a 40%-60% blend with modern synthetics.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

http://www.fabrics-store.com/

http://www.fabric.com/

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

http://www.fabrics-store.com/

http://www.fabric.com/

I've dealt with both... fair experiences with both.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ive had good experiences with both. Happy dont get mix linen or mix wool. its itchy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword along with the rest of your outfit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic