Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tristan and Isolde Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Tristan and Isolde         Reply with quote

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2005/11/...ailer.html

I saw the trailer for this one for the first time over Thanksgiving. Apparently they've eliminated the Arthurian references and are focusing on tristan strictly as a subject of King Mark of Cornwall, and the romance with Isolde. The trailer looked mildly interesting, with a bit too much of the burlap and leather wardrobe that Hollywood seems to love. What I saw of the swords looked to be mostly of the 13th Warrior style of quality. The movie involves Ridley Scott and has been delayed since 2003. The later isn't a particularly good sign.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good grief. WTF?!

I just hope its not like Kingdom of Heaven...

Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, Lord...
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tristan and Isolde         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...The movie involves Ridley Scott and has been delayed since 2003. The later isn't a particularly good sign.
Alright! Sir Ridley, my favorite historian! Eek! Well, I think that, at least, the film is likely to be an extravagant production, as well as entertaining (assuming that we can overlook the historical/hysterical distortions and errors).
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
David V.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WTF?!

The only positive think about this is that Wagner is going to roll in his grave, which he should... Razz
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David V. wrote:
WTF?!

The only positive think about this is that Wagner is going to roll in his grave, which he should... Razz

Worried I don't see why Wagner would roll in his grave over this, just because the film makers are using source material that he also used. I mean, it's not as if he invented the story.

On topic, while I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to this film, I do find it encouraging that popular media is turning to history and legends for inspiration, whether or not they present the details correctly.
David V.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:

Worried I don't see why Wagner would roll in his grave over this, just because the film makers are using source material that he also used. I mean, it's not as if he invented the story.

Perhaps, but i would think it may pain him to see the subject of his best opera (along with Parsifal) bastardized as such.

Truth is, the opera is how i learned the story of Tristan und Isolde, so Wagner it's the first thing that came in my mind when i heard of this.

The trailer is terrible. Even considering his occasional aberrations (Legend and GI Jane chief among them), i've always been partial to Scott. Alien and Blade Runner were among my favored films as a kid, and i do beleive he has the talent to produce some decent flick, but this film just has 'failure' written all over it...
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ridley and Tony Scott are serving as executive producers for this film. Kevin Reynolds, of Waterworld and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves fame, is directing.
Proceed at your own risk.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a small discussion of Tristan and Isolde in the book Holy Blood Holy Grail (page 308.) These authors have pretty extensively researched effort on the whole Gnostic theme (sort of forerunners to the DaVinci Code.)

They seem to echo the consensus that the original subject was Frankish - Merovingian blood line, and that "Aurthur" was derived from similarity with Ursus (bear) associated with the royal blood line. I am not saying I buy into it, just that they did a good job of advocating that the Holy Grail (Sangraal) was originally the Royal Blood (line) "Sang Real (or Raal)."

Removing Aurthurian references is probably more true to the oldest historical versions of the tale.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like it might be half decent from an entertainment point of view. Though being a college student I won't be making it a priority to spend money to see in theaters. I might rent it after it comes out on video though. Though I'm not a fan of going to win someone else a wife when they should be the one fighting to earn her instead... Alex
"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tristan and Isolde
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic