Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Information about the 2104 Short Leaf Sword by Angus Trim Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Information about the 2104 Short Leaf Sword by Angus Trim         Reply with quote

I am looking for additional information about Angus Trim’s 2104 short leaf sword. I’ve searched this website and SFI as well, but could only find a few pictures and very little “hands on” comments. How does this sword handle? Does it have a lot of blade presence? (From what I have read, it appears to have more cutting power than agility. This isn’t a bad thing at all; I am looking for a sword, not a dagger.) However, now listed at 2 pounds, this sword weighs as much as many full-length single-hand Angus Trim swords. I don’t think the leaf blade shape causes this because the 2103 is still very lightweight for its size (as are all other Angus Trim swords I’ve seen in pictures and compared.)

The blade is similar to a gladius, so I have checked out some of those reviews, but I’m really looking for product specific information. If you own an Angus Trim leaf sword (preferably the 2104, but I wouldn’t mind comments and pictures of the others either), modified or in original form, please post some pictures at various angles (not just conventional views), and in different kinds of lighting if possible. I would appreciate it if someone could comment on its handling as opposed to other short swords.

It would be wonderful to add a complete review of this sword to the reviews section.

Thank you,
Brian
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian;

This may not help much if you are already familiar with the Angus Trim site, but just in case here is a link to a Pict of the 2104.
http://www.angustrimdirect.com/models/unamed_20/unamed_20.htm

Link to home page: http://www.angustrimdirect.com/

Personnally I can't give you more info but I'm sure someone else may be able to give you more information.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Information about the 2104 Short Leaf Sword by Angus Tri         Reply with quote

Brian D. A. wrote:
It would be wonderful to add a complete review of this sword to the reviews section.

If you can get one in our hands, we'll do it. It's been difficult to get review samples from Gus.

In terms of this particular sword, I'm not sure what direction I'd go with a review. It seems this model is a modern-day or contemporary design that nods to a gladius and earlier types for blade shape cues. Other than that, it's kind of its own beast since it's not really replicating anything. I guess the review would have to focus on handling qualities and what the 'net communities like to call "performanc". Other than that, there is really no context in which to place it. It would be hard to compare it or draw conclusions, I'd think.

We'll have a couple other fantasy sword reviews coming out and we faced the same problem: how do we review them? We basically say how it looks, how it's fitted together, how it handles, and what it sort of evokes in terms of inspiration, I guess. It's tough, though.

I would post some photos of some ATrim leafies that I took a long time ago, but they're hardly relevant any more as Gus has changed the designs drastically and really has moved onto other models.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought there had been some changes. Thanks for confirming this. I was looking for some close-ups and comments from someone who has handled this sword. I have been able to find some information about the other leaf blades, but not as much as I would like. I haven’t found hardly anything at all about this one; it’s just not as popular I guess.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Information about the 2104 Short Leaf Sword by Angus Tri         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Brian D. A. wrote:

It's been difficult to get review samples from Gus.

Yeah, I know......its been a very trying year, and everytime I've thought I could send a couple of pieces to Bill it would wind up getting sold...........

Jamie's really good at selling stock.... and no I'm not complaining........

Just have not been able to keep any stock for reviews this year.........

swords are fun
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian can always buy one and review it for us. Wink
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian D. A. wrote:
I thought there had been some changes. Thanks for confirming this. I was looking for some close-ups and comments from someone who has handled this sword. I have been able to find some information about the other leaf blades, but not as much as I would like. I haven’t found hardly anything at all about this one; it’s just not as popular I guess.

Hi Brian

The 2104 blade is actually the third leaf I designed. The first went to Albion for a gladius. The second was the 2103.

The 2104 is a very quick blade. It distal tapers from the cross, but the taper slows down from the waist to the center of the wide spot, and from there accelerates again to the tip. This leaves quite a bit of mass in that center section, and this little sword is very rigid. Its very quick, a good cutter, and a natural thrusting sword.

My finishes, the finish of the main bevels and edges is quite different from a couple of years ago and more. Getting your hands on an older blade won't do the current stuff justice. The handling might be close, but all current swords have leather over tight, fine cord {handle wrap}. The edges are more refined, the pommel nut recessed further........

swords are fun
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Brian can always buy one and review it for us. Wink

I really like this little sword. Since this would be my first real sword, and I have never even handled a real sword before (certainly not a sharp), I’m not sure how good a review I could provide… I don’t think I would want to actually attempt cutting anything with it for a while. I have not had any sort of training and wouldn’t want to risk hurting myself… I could post pictures though. I’m also more of a collector at the moment and would like to keep it in pristine condition if I got one. That’s not to say I would never want to see what it’s capable of though… Big Grin

Last edited by Brian D. A. on Sat 03 Dec, 2005 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,

Sometimes a fresh opinion that's uncluttered with experience and bias is quite worthwhile.

Think about it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Jay did a brief review a couple of years ago
Ken Jay Reviews MS-2104

I think this was also popular with the Elven hilt upgrade at www.christianfletcher.com

There are some other impressions woven through some old threads but Ken always does nice pictures.

Cheers

GC
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Glen Cleeton. I checked SFI but I missed that thread. Those pictures are certainly better than the introduction pictures; I have found only a few others like them. I would also like to see some more modern photos though.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly,

I'm considering getting a slightly modified 2104 (i.e. shortened spike guard). I thought the sword would have to be standard issue for a review; if not, and I get the sword, and the review doesn't have to include test cutting, then I would be willing to write a review.

Thank you anyway for offering.

Brian
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian D. A. wrote:
Thank you very much Glen Cleeton. I checked SFI but I missed that thread. Those pictures are certainly better than the introduction pictures; I have found only a few others like them. I would also like to see some more modern photos though.

Thanks,
Brian

Here is a kegger of a thread about a customized 2104.
Customized Leaf Blade

There are different ways to approach searches but here are some more threads with pictures and overall impressions of the sword.
Search Results

A simple 2104 search brought up the review but also many Del Tin threads because of a shared number. Now known as the AT2104, it was once the MS-2104.

Cheers

GC
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
...Here is a kegger of a thread about a customized 2104....

Oh, yes. I remember that exquisite work by Mr. Lundemo! What a beautiful piece!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one. Unfortunately, no camera, so no pictures. I had Gus put a slightly downcurved spike guard on it, which makes the 2104 look even better.

As mentioned, this sword is a Gladius Hispaniensis with a Medieval style hilt. I read a thread recently where it was said that it wasn't that fast, but this was only in comparison with some of the other ATrim short swords. Believe me, it is very fast, very light, and also very sharp.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Information about the 2104 Short Leaf Sword by Angus Trim
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic