Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scabbard examples or ideas for epee blades Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rick Roberson

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Scabbard examples or ideas for epee blades         Reply with quote

Hope I'm posting in the right area. If not, my apologizes. I'm new to swords and such. Starting building them because my son is into fencing at Ohio University. I built him a custom swept hilt rapier with epee blade to fight with. They put the rubber tip on the end. How in the world would you make a decent looking scabbard for this weapon. The college kids just get a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe and a cap. I went one further and picked up a piece of 3/4" copper tubing and cap, polished it and clear laquered it. Looks ok, but not historical at all. Does anyone have any ideas or examples of a scabbard that would work?

Thanks,
Rick
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Rick, and welcome to the forums!

I've seen a lot of SCA fencers do the PVC pipe idea, but took it a step further by wrapping it in thin leather and stitching it tight. There's no way of making it look truly historical, as the rubber tip prevents having a form-fit, but it looks better than bare plastic. Hope that helps!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Modern sport fencing weapons aren't really all that historical anyway, and the weapon's button will make a historical scabbard design problematic. As a former collegiate epeeist, I always found that a simple PVC pipe worked well for the demands of the sport, and protected the blade nicely during transit. Naturally though, I'd want a historically accurate scabbard for a historically accurate weapon. I just never stressed over it in college. However, I did make a very nice frog out of mail, a kilt pin and a few key rings. It held my epee at a perfect angle during competitions when I didn't want to carry it in my hand all day. Something similar might work for your son.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Rick Roberson

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know, but I'm trying to learn how to build him a good sword with a little style, rather than just a bell. Attached photo if of one I'm building him now. It's not historical, per say, but lots better than standard, i.m.h.o.. Now I'm looking for ideas on what could be done. It's the challange of it more than anything else. Plus I'd like to build one, and I need the excuse. Big Grin

Later,
Rick

Attachment: 40.75 KB
[ Download ]
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second the covered pvc pipe. It does work well to transport and protect the blade. There is no way you could have a historical looking scabbard with a button on the end of the blade.
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scabbard examples or ideas for epee blades
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic