Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > About the Norman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: About the Norman         Reply with quote

I have ordered an Albion "Norman" next generation sword and I present this post as a spring board on discussion of said sword. Firstly, I hope that the folks at Albion put those cool raised cord rings in the grips like they have with other peices. Have you guys at Albion even gotten to this point?
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Grip for the Norman         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,

I haven't talk to Peter yet about the Norman. I mean this truthfully, we are working on these designs as quickly as possible. 4 of the new swords will be ready hopefully within 4 weeks; the Norman is one of them. As it draws closer, I will finalize the grip details with Peter. Rest assured that it will have our leather and cord wrapped grips. Not sure about risers yet.

Best,

Eric

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow!

Really seems to be moving fast, which is cool.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well here is one vote for risers, if this is felt to be authentic, of course. Big Grin
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Grip for the Norman         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

I haven't talk to Peter yet about the Norman. I mean this truthfully, we are working on these designs as quickly as possible. 4 of the new swords will be ready hopefully within 4 weeks; the Norman is one of them. As it draws closer, I will finalize the grip details with Peter. Rest assured that it will have our leather and cord wrapped grips. Not sure about risers yet.

Best,

Eric

please please tell me the type XII is one of the first 4
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Opps         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Well here is one vote for risers, if this is felt to be authentic, of course. Big Grin

I didn't mean to give you the impression that we would not put risers on the grip. What I meant was I wasn't sure of the configuration yet. I would say probably two a quarter inch from the top and bottom...maybe. Happy

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Eric,
I mean it's fine with me I trust you guys to make the best decision. I just don't have a sword with risers is all. Happy
Manny G

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What are the "risers?" These are not on the sketch?

I'm not getting a Norman, so I have no vote, just curious.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are on the sketch, just hard to see -- about a quarter inch from each end. A "riser" in this case is a cord wrapped around the grip under the leather covering. Check out the Gaddhjalt, it has a prominent riser in the middle of the grip and a less prominent riser at each end.

Brian M
Manny G

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool. I thought that's what they were. I prefer minimal risers at the end- near the guard... unless they don't get in the way.

I like the subtle risers on the sketches. Not too much riser to grip ratio... Happy
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, Now I have a question about the distal taper- will it be linear or non-linear. Also what do you expect regarding handling? Thanks very much. Jeremy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
OK, Now I have a question about the distal taper- will it be linear or non-linear. Also what do you expect regarding handling? Thanks very much. Jeremy

The distal taper is non linear. None of the blades in the group of Next Generation swords have a straight linear distal taper. That is one of their distinguishing features. This allowes (among other things) a crisp point section to be backed up by a solid body. The fuller is deep and lightens the otherwise rather stout blade. Cross section is a very acute lenticular shape with a crisp and well rounded fuller.

This quote from the Albion site is an attempt at describing the feel of the handling characterisitcs:
"When handling original swords of this type one is impressed by a surprisingly good balance, despite them having long blades and short hilts. It is obvious they were meant to be used together with a shield and often from horseback. Their reach is long and they deliver powerful blows with little effort."

-It is difficult to know how to furhter describe the feel...I usually prefer to let the swords speak for themselves. As no swords have yet reached customers, all we have to present is descriptions and preliminary specs. There is a limit to much you can say that way. Customer feedback is always the best witness and always preferable to the designer or maker describing his/her own products.
This situation with conceptual drawings and preliminary specs being available in advance is a bit special, so I´ll try my best to answer your question:

...The sword feels like and behaves like an original sword of the same type from the period, implemented to the best of my ability in the design based on my experience from handling originals. I have just finished the work on the original parts for the hilt, so I now know how the sword will feel when it is finished.
There is a clear blade presence, but the blade is also agile and responsive. No uncomfortable strain is felt on the wrist. There is a soft pull forwards. This is definitly not a meek little sword. Quite the opposite. It will deliver blows with power and precision.
It is like a crouching predator in your hand that will spring by the tremor of a thought Wink

(It is hard to say anything more detailed on the matter of handling while the swords are in development. The swords are designed to be good representatives of how originals of the same type feel and handle. Blade sections, edge geometry, balance and mass are according to typical example of historical originals. I hope that the descripitons on the Albion page can give and idea about the character of each sword. When the swords are ready to be delivered more might be said about them. )

Hope this helped answer yor questions.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter!
THat really helps a great deal. I so look foward to it's delivery. Jeremy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > About the Norman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic