Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This day is call'd the feast of Crispian Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Scott Gardner

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: This day is call'd the feast of Crispian         Reply with quote

It's the 590th anniversary, I believe, of Agincourt and of my favorite (fictional) battle speech, which is reproduced here.

Anyone else have a favorite actual or fictional battle speech they would like to share?

V/r,
Scott
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: This day is call'd the feast of Crispian         Reply with quote

Scott Gardner wrote:
It's the 590th anniversary, I believe, of Agincourt and of my favorite (fictional) battle speech, which is reproduced here.

Anyone else have a favorite actual or fictional battle speech they would like to share?

V/r,
Scott

Well, as for fictional ones...

I'm da hand of Gork and Mork, dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill 'cos da boyz forgot what dere 'ere for. I woz one of da boyz till da godz smashed me in da 'head an' I 'membered dat Orks is meant to conquer and make slaves of everyfing they don't kill.

I'm da profit of da Waaagh an' whole worlds burn in my boot prints. On Armour-Geddem I led da boyz through da fire deserts and smashed da humies' metal cities to scrap. I fought Yarik, old one-eye at Tartarus, an' he fought good but we smashed iz city too.

I'm death to anyfing that walks or crawls, where I go nothin' stands in my way. We crushed da stunties on Golgotha, an' we caught old one-eye when da speed freeks blew da humies' big tanks ta bits. I let 'im go 'cause good enemies iz 'ard to find, an' Orks need good enemies ta fight like they need meat to eat an' grog ta drink.

I iz more cunning than a Grot an' more killy dan a dread, da boyz dat follow me can't be beat. On Pissenah we jumped da marine-boyz an' our bosspoles was covered in da helmets we took from da dead 'uns. We burned dere port an' killed dere bosses an' left nothin' but ruins behind.

I'm Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an' I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp da 'ooniverse flat an' kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz' we're Orks, an' we was made to fight an' win!

(Warhammer 40,000 - Graffiti on Warlord Titan Wreckage found by Dark angels at Westerisle, Piscina IV)

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, and of course...

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought, and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, Crom, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen... the HELL with you!"

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Malcolm A

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This piece is not from a battle speech I admit; it is from the Declaration of Arbroath, a document sent by the Scots to the Pope some years after the Battle Bannockburn [a classic David and Goliath battle]

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself

It is a superb piece of writing and could easily be used by any nation defending itself from oppressors.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself
Andy Bryant

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You beat me with the one from Conan
13th Warrior
'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live......forever.

Thank You
Andy Bryant
Andy Bryant

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also from th e13th Warrior
The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Thank You
Andy Bryant
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bryant wrote:
You beat me with the one from Conan
13th Warrior
'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live......forever.

"Merciful Father, I have squandered my days with plans of many things. This was not among them. But at this moment, I beg only to live the next few minutes well. For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought... all we ought to have said, and have not said... all we ought to have done, and have not done... I pray thee, God, for forgiveness."

That whole scene right before the big battle plays my heartstrings like few others. The timing is perfect, the way the rhythm of the verse culminates in one half-whispered word, then silence... and all hell breaks loose.

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This day is call'd the feast of Crispian         Reply with quote

Scott Gardner wrote:

Actually, Henry V's rousing speech is probably my favorite. And the others posted from 13th Warrior are very good. But I like this one, too:
Quote:
Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead! Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity!
- Maximus Decimus Meridius
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Hank V speech has always been my favorite, but this one is a close second.

From Return of the King:

"Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down. But it is not this day. This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"You don't frighten us, English pig-dog! Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at your so-called Arthur King; you and all your silly English Knnnnigits! ...I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed, food-throwing whopper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of eldeberries!"

"Is there someone else up there we could talk to?"

"No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Arrow Well, the only two inspirational battle speeches that came to mind were this and Mel Gibson's they-may-take-our-lives... speech in Braveheart. But it's been a stressful day, so I thought a little humor was in order. Razz

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"No epilogue here, unless you make it.....If you want your freedom, go and take it."

-Harry Turtledove, "Ruled Britannia." From a speech at the end of Shakespeare's play that (sort of) begins the rebellion against the Spanish Invaders. (The book poses the question of what would have occured had the Spanish Armada succeded).
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
"No epilogue here, unless you make it.....If you want your freedom, go and take it."

I'm very impressed. Ruled Britannia was an excellent book that didn't get half the attention it deserved. Always nice to find someone else who's read it.

And in the spirit of the thread...

"You won't hear me shout out Joffrey's name. You won't hear me yell for Casterly Rock either. This is your city Stannis means to sack and that's your gate he's bringing down. So come with me and kill the son of a bitch!"
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"You go, Girlfriend!" Razz Laughing Out Loud
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Now you will receive us. We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies. Do not kill, do not rape, to not steal. These are principles, which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost. There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption, into our domain. But if you do you, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three, and on that day, you will reap it. And we will send you to whatever god you wish.

Quote:
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"Oh Lord Thou knowest how busy I must be this day. If I forget Thee, do not Thou forget me. March on boys!"
Sir Jacob Astley at the battle of Edgehill 1642
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about....

We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills: we shall never surrender.
Jason Daub

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or...

Now be men, my friends! Courage, come, take heart!
Dread what comrades say of you here in bloody combat!
When men dread that, more come through alive-
when soldiers break and run, good-bye glory,
good-bye all defences.

Agamemnon rallying the Greeks against Hector, R. Fagles translation
Jason Daub

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or...

Stand firm; for well you know that hardship and danger are the price of glory, and that sweet is the savour of a life of courage and of deathless renown beyond the grave.

Alexander the Great , July 326 B.C. in India (Arrian- The Campaigns of Alexander)
Jason Daub

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've also been fond of Marshal Foch, at First Marne, "My centre is giving way, my right is pushed back, situation excellent, I am attacking." Not a battle speech,but Big Grin
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason, you do know there's an edit button, right?
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This day is call'd the feast of Crispian
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: