Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Standards for swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jamie Fellrath

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Standards for swords         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I peruse these forums occasionally, as I'm not much of a collector but much more of a martial artist. I'm looking for swords for use - training with steel blades, test cutting, etc. I own no swords other than a wooden waster right now.

I see a lot of you talking about "entry-level swords" and using other such terms. My question is: What exactly does that mean? From what point of view is a sword considered "entry-level"? Are you talking about from a standpoint of using the sword as I've described or for other uses?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie Fellrath
ARMA - Columbus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My definition of an entry-level sword is "a sword that won't break from normal use, while having decent handling characteristics, and not costing more than what an ordinary Joe can afford".
My sword site
Jamie Fellrath

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
My definition of an entry-level sword is "a sword that won't break from normal use, while having decent handling characteristics, and not costing more than what an ordinary Joe can afford".

Thanks, Björn.

Normal use... would this be for such things as floryshes and general practice of cuts and guards? Or up to and including pell work and/or sparring?

Jamie Fellrath
ARMA - Columbus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jamie Fellrath wrote:
Björn Hellqvist wrote:

Thanks, Björn.

Normal use... would this be for such things as floryshes and general practice of cuts and guards? Or up to and including pell work and/or sparring?

Bjorn sums it up well. I think an entry-level replica must of neccessity be fully functional and in compliance with the historically-established parameters of weight and balance.It must likewise be priced such that a Swordsman can afford to engage in intense training with it without undue concern of ruining his investment. The sword must be capable of engaging in any activity which the originals upon which it is based could reasonably be expected to perform.As you suggest Jamie,that would include fencing if it's a blunt and cutting if it's a sharp. If it cannot be relied upon to perform as a historical example would under similar circumstances,it would be an unworthy tool in my opinion. In fact,as more of a practicing Swordsman and not so much a collector myself, I don't buy very expensive swords that I'd be afraid to damage by making an accidental edge parry or whatever. I see my weapons as tools and little more. That said,some of the offerings from Albion and A&A have been calling to me for some time now...Not to fence with but just to cut with and to admire(could the collecting bug be contagious??!!LOL!) Laughing Out Loud

Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Jamie Fellrath

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Smith wrote:
In fact,as more of a practicing Swordsman and not so much a collector myself, I don't buy very expensive swords that I'd be afraid to damage by making an accidental edge parry or whatever. I see my weapons as tools and little more.

Thanks Shane...

I suppose what brought this up was some talk about swords from CAS Iberia on a list I belong to (Shane, I'm assuming you know which list Happy ) and reference being made here at myArmoury.com to their being "entry-level" swords. Not being a collector but rather a user (to me, a collector considers his collection worthy of saving for the long-term and not as a thing to be used regularly) of swords, I wanted to make sure that my idea of an "entry-level" sword was the same as everyone else's.

And yes, the collecting bug CAN be contagious... I'm one of those folks who wants to have the entire series of something if I get one of them... it's a sickness, I tell you! A sickness! But a fun sickness... Happy

Jamie Fellrath
ARMA - Columbus

Last edited by Jamie Fellrath on Mon 15 Dec, 2003 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Jamie! What I'd like to know is-- what's the EXIT level? Prices for fine replicas of certain varieties of weapon are nudging up into the price range for which originals of other varieties can be had. A collector could easily spend as much on a fine custom-made replica of a medieval sword as he'd spend on a fine, ORIGINAL 17th c. weapon. Well, back to the topic...It seems to me that entry level varies from weapon type to weapon type, but the criteria I've outlined below inform my own attempts at categorization of replicas.

As an ARMA member, I got the MRL Scottish Backsword for exactly the kind of training you describe. John Clements indicated that this weapon was serving well in Houston so I got two of them, one at the standard price of around $225 and another on sale for around $120. This weapon is what I think of when I hear the term "entry level". It's historically feasible in dimensions, design, weight and balance if not an exact replica, takes a good edge for cutting practice, is cheap enough on sale to have one sharp and one blunt, adequately represents what it purports to represent--i.e., a plain infantry sword of indifferent quality of the late 16th-mid 17th c.--and is (was) available for under $250. I sold the more expensive of my two when I decided to focus on spathology rather than application, but most of what makes this a good entry-level weapon for training makes it a good entry-level weapon for collecting. I now look for all these qualities in the entry-level replicas I buy, but the term itself can be problematic. I mean, how can we talk about entry-level for a modern replica of a mass-produced, military issue infantry hanger of the 18th c.? Is MRL's $100 version no good just because it's cheap? Would an $80 version necessarily be of lower quality than the original on which it's based? Would a $1,000 replica of the same weapon necessarily be more historically accurate? Would it make any sense to buy that high-end replica when the original on which it's based can be had for $750? Moreover, there aren't many off-the-shelf 18th c. military hangers out there and they're all about the same price. Again, I'm not sure why anyone would commission a custom replica of one of these mil-spec secondary weapons, so in this case entry-level is pretty much the only leveI, which makes the term irrelevant. On the other hand there are hundreds of medieval replicas with prices ranging from $50 to thousands, so the term makes more sense in that category. Also, with replica standards rocketing upwards thanks to the likes of PJ and other custom makers, the entry-level for accurate medieval replicas may be on the rise. I think it's significant that these higher standards are now slipping into the non-custom marketplace (via the collaboration between PJ and Albion, for example). It's not clear to me whether or not a $250 MRL medieval sword will still be considered an entry-level replica in a few years. We may look back and think of them as toys.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jamie Fellrath

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
As an ARMA member, I got the MRL Scottish Backsword for exactly the kind of training you describe.

<text omitted>

Hi Sean,

That's exactly the reason I made this post. I mean, I'd love to get Albion's Crecy Grete Swerde, it looks great (or GRETE, even), all the reports I've gotten from other users are that the weight and balance are great, it cuts like a gem, etc. But I don't want to spend that much money on a weapon that I want to USE, and probably use fairly hard!

IF I were going into battle with a sword, then yes. I'd spend thousands. I'd want the best that I could afford to defend my life. And don't get me wrong, I truly understand the need to train with the most accurate weapons possible. But I can't afford the most accurate.

If I can do what I want to do with a $200 MRL sword, or even a $110 CASI sword, then by gum, I'm going to do it. But I want to make sure it's sturdy enough to stand up to the training I want to do. It's the same old situation - you pay for what you want. I don't care about looks in this case, I want it to last without being TOO inaccurate. If it is around 3 pounds or so, won't break against my pell, doesn't have a hilt that's going to crack after a few floryshes, and has a center of balance in the 3"-6" range from the quillons, then I say I've found my sword.

Jamie Fellrath
ARMA - Columbus
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One word of caution here; A poor quality replica makes for poor technical application and false understanding and is not worth owning at any price. There is a line in the sand so to speak in my estimation. Cheaper is not always best. Likewise,more expensive isn't either.Do your homework and be an informed consumer.Get the proper tool for the job. You shouldn't use a screwdriver as a chisel and expect a satisfactory result. Further,you should not try to use an ahistorical and poorly made replica to build your competence and martial skill. A Swordsman is only as effective as his replica will allow in my opinion.
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Jamie Fellrath

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Smith wrote:
One word of caution here; A poor quality replica makes for poor technical application and false understanding and is not worth owning at any price. There is a line in the sand so to speak in my estimation. Cheaper is not always best. Likewise,more expensive isn't either.Do your homework and be an informed consumer.Get the proper tool for the job. You shouldn't use a screwdriver as a chisel and expect a satisfactory result. Further,you should not try to use an ahistorical and poorly made replica to build your competence and martial skill. A Swordsman is only as effective as his replica will allow in my opinion.

And that's exactly my point in this thread. I just wanted to make sure I understood some of the comments I've seen made.

Jamie Fellrath
ARMA - Columbus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "entry" question seems well answered, so I'm going to speak a we bit off the thread and address "use".

Reluctance to use weapons not normally considered "entry" is typically an issue of individual preference. All smiths I've talke dand dealt with make products anticipating they will be used. Thus damage and failure are unlikely. Granted wear is a possiblity, but so is theft, fire, and natual disaster.

As long as use does not become abuse, as a hobbiest collector I see no reason to avoid using quality weapons.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

As long as use does not become abuse, as a hobbiest collector I see no reason to avoid using quality weapons.

Very much agreed. I'm having a full custom rapier made from A&A. Not only will it be the prettiest sword I own, but I intend to use it for rapier practice quite a bit. I already use A&A pieces for WMA, and it's as Shane says, a poor quality replica will only develop poor practice habits.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Standards for swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic