Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Texas Renaissance Faire photos. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Texas Renaissance Faire photos.         Reply with quote

A couple of hours ago we returned from the Texas Ren. Faire. Thanks to Greg's excellent piloting skills the trip to and from went without incident. (My driving in the Huston area is another matter!)

Thankfully the temperatures weren't too unreasonable so the Lady Dorathea and I didn't suffer much in our clothing.

Gregg was joined by his better half, the Lady Linda.

Lindas daughter Heather also made the trip to Huston and joined us for the day.

In terms of attractiveness I think Gregg and I were severely outgunned. Big Grin

As with most events of this kind, the Texas Renaissance Festival isn't exactly known for its "authenticity". Consequently it can hardly be called a living history event. As a long-time faire attendee from years past this didn't surprise me in the least, nor did it offend me. The best attitude to have at an American Renaissance Faire is "lighten up, it's a party", so take it for what it is. It has been a long, long time since I attended a faire and I found that things haven't changed much, other than women showing a bit more skin. At times this was a good thing, at other times quite the fashion disaster. However, the Faire does occupy a very nice sight and having been there for well over thirty years (almost forty I believe) many of the permanent structures have a nice well lived-in appearance. Locating a Faire in a wooded area is always a plus too.

To complicate the authenticity issue, it was "fantasy" weekend. Eek! Consequently we were the ones who wound up looking out of place. If we had dressed as a cast member of Xena Warrior Princess or Road Warrior we would have fit right in. Likewise, if we had dressed as elves or faeries the camoflague would have been complete. (don't hold your breath waiting to see my faery persona)

Nevertheless Greg and I tried to blend in as best we could.

Several times throughout the day Greg's stainless-bladed, brass-hilted pseudo claymore caused reactions of "Oooooo!" and "Wow!", while my beautiful Big Johnsson received not a glance. Greg took every opportunity to remind me that apparently size does indeed matter. Cry

There weren't any impressive or top-end sword makers in evidence, not that I expected them to be. Angel Sword had a nice building of their own with their usual line-up of product, and several vendors were doing brisk business with the United Cutlery and Hanwei lines. Valentine Armouries also had their own building with an interesting display of A&A through the ages that featured some of their wares. I did enjoy the opportunity to finally see some of Valentines work in person.

We all had a very enjoyable time and fully intend to do it again at the next opportunity.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Mon 10 Oct, 2005 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

Very nice pictures: I really like the " Camo " Helms as no one would guess from those that you " Know " any better about historic costume, but then you have the right attitude about these things and seem to be having fun even with that frown Razz

With a " Fantasy Fair " you have to be " HYSTERICALLY CORRECT " Laughing Out Loud

So what are your impressions of the Valentine armour ? I have their Eye slot Kettle Hat that I am happy with: Just thought I'd ask a useful question at the end of my mostly teasing post. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: The captions are endless! ;)         Reply with quote

"Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into..."

I was looking forward to seeing pics of yours and Greg's trip, Patrick. Looks like you guys took a healthy attitude and enjoyed yourselves. Much thanks!

Vicariously,

Mike

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I find that a lot of Valentine's earlier period work is lacking in the areas of shape and proportion. On the other hand I was fairly impressed by quite a bit of their stuff from the 15th century and later. In that area I'd give them a solid 8 or 9 out of 10.

Quote:
With a " Fantasy Fair " you have to be " HYSTERICALLY CORRECT "

I couldn't have said it better myself. Laughing Out Loud

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad for a few things, bud...

first, that it was a good, safe trip to and fro....

next that it was a decent, enjoyable time, apparently worth the trip....

third for the pictures (and yeah, outgunned - I'm thinking trying to run panzers down on horseback with couched lances outgunned here...)...

and lastly (and perhaps most importantly) - you horny devil, you! Completes that special look!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thing I'd like to mention concerns my footwear.

So far this is my second outing where I had the opportunity to wear my low boots made by Revival Clothing. I spent the day walking on everything from gravel to dirt and grass and the boots seem to be holding up well. I did insert a set of insoles to prevent my flat feet from pronating too much, but other than that I haven't done much to them. I'm fairly impressed with this product.

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah the low booth are comfortable and they can be bought with vibram soles as an option. I also imagine that a real shoe cobbler / repair place could add vibram soles if needed to prevent wear or if they seem too slippery.

Spending a long day walking on various surface and still liking them is a pretty good endorsement.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are nice pictures Patrick! I'm glad you had a good time. Texas and Minnesota are the two faires I'm dying to see. Happy -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Uh-huh. I knew that picture was going to make the list. 'Twas a great time. First faire I've been to in forever. Definately had to take the costumes et all (mine included) with a grain of humor. We went with the idea of fun and that's what happened. Very glad we got to go; and gee - we all managed to walk away from every landing! Knew it was going to be a good trip when it starts out with Patrick and I laughing our backsides off at the VERY irate KC controller, but that's another story. Thanks for the pics Patrick, sorry everyone else had to miss it. I did miss not seeing any high end weapons or armor vendors. All well, such is life.

Oh, and now everyone can see why I'd rather take Linda to Heather's birthday instead of doing Vegas with Patrick. NOT a hard choice!!!!!! (Sorry, my friend ROFL)

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Knew it was going to be a good trip when it starts out with Patrick and I laughing our backsides off at the VERY irate KC controller, but that's another story.

Funny yes, but 5000 feet in the air isn't exactly the place where I want to hear people get into a pissing match!

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin You are not so far away, Patrick Cool

Attachment: 34.39 KB
horned-elite2.jpg
Two vikings, one with horn and one with bow :)

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics, Patrick ! ( I knew ya get behind these claymores oneday ;-)

Everyone looks awesome .... Bonnie Heather especially so ( but dinna no let me Margery hear that one ;-)

Thanks for sharing your fun, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,
Yep, takes after her mother in the "awesome" department. She'll be 21 on the 30'th - and quite taken with the Scots.........
Would tell you how to write,But ............still don't think Margery will let you get away with it.

Eric Bergeron

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Mac,
Yep, takes after her mother in the "awesome" department. She'll be 21 on the 30'th - and quite taken with the Scots.........
Would tell you how to write,But ............still don't think Margery will let you get away with it.

Well wouldn't you know that i'm turning scottish tomorrow so where can I sign up to write lol Happy
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Mac,

Hi Greg

Aye, tis easy to see where bonnie Heather gets her looks, your Linda is indeed a beauty !

Beyond me wife taken me life, I suspect young Heather would not care to have this old sod writing her ;-)
'ol Mac turned the big 4-9 this past Oct. 1st (although with the right dye I can easily pass for a youthful 42 ;-)

Speaking of Scots .....
I'm headed off to join Vince & Grace on a two week research trip to Scotland & Ireland tomorrow, so this is last call for postcards!
(see, you knew I wanted her address ;-).
Seriously, you folks take care .... be good .... and the Lord willing, we shall be back home on the 26th !

Slàinte, Mac

Attachment: 77.37 KB
Pumpkin time.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How very cool Mac! Have a great trip!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Renaissance Faire Pictures         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick,

Really great to see that you all had a lot of fun at the Faire, nice outfits by the way!

Bob
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! It's all a work in progress. Big Grin
Carl Goff

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking good there! Glad to hear the heat wasn't atrocious. Here in Florida faires are pretty much late winter or spring-only, simply because it's too freakin' hot from about mid-May to mid-November. There could be exceptions, but I've never heard of any.

How many hours were spent on those costumes? (Besides the obvious answer of "a lot" Razz )

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We were all dressed by around 9 AM and didn't make it back to the hotel until after 6 PM, so was a full day. Honestly, a person could not have asked for a nicer day. Overcast and low 70's until noon, sun comes out and never got above 80 with low humidity. I guess the sacrificial offering to the weather gods worked! The costumes were comfortable the whole day, and surprisingly enough no one even complained about their feet, although I think everyone started feeling it in their calves or hips by Monday, HA! Patrick and Dorathea's costumes have to be seen close up to be appreciated fully for their authenticity. They have put a lot of effort into getting it "right" and it shows. Next faire I will be better prepared in that department myself, as well as taking a truly functional sword instead of that p.o.s. "pretty" thing I had.
Dang Mac, wish I had known you were going to Scotland, because I really would have pm'ed you Heather's address for a postcard. She would have loved that. And you won't even see this until you get back, too funny! Laughing Out Loud Ahh well, she gets to spend a month next summer in London at the British Conservatory, and her mother & I are going over then as well to see Scotland and Ireland. definitely looking forward to that.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Texas Renaissance Faire photos.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: