Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Camelot Medieval Harvest Fayre Part Deux!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Camelot Medieval Harvest Fayre Part Deux!!         Reply with quote

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!

Last edited by Lloyd Clark on Thu 01 Sep, 2005 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Camelot Medieval Harvest Fayre is October 1 and 2, 2005 at the Dodge County Fairgrounds in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, which is about an hour NW of Milwaukee and NE of Madison.

Entertainment, so far, includes:

Sahaja Dance Company
Seelie Court
Michigan Highland Dancers
The Kings Champions Joust Troupe
A Competitive Highland Games Competition
Bristol's Guild of St. Michael - this time as 5th Century Anglo-Saxons (right, Chris?)

We will also hope to have Modern Medievalist Society, The Tribe of the Blue Rose, The Companyie of the Northerne Sterre, Thistlecroft, and other living history groups.

Nearly 40 vendors (many of whom do not show in the Midwest) including: Albion Armouries!!

There will be REAL JOUSTING, REAL SWORDPLAY, REAL BIG MEN IN KILTS THROWING HEAVY OBJECTS, lots of Highland Dancing, lots of celtic music, lots of living history, and TWO DAYS OF MEDIEVAL (well, actually DARK AGES) MAYHEM!

Help to support our worthy cause and end the 2005 Fair Season in Grand, Celtic Style!!

All to support our nonprofit - The Historic Camelot Project -
www.historiccamelot.org

Event Location: Corner of Fabisch Road and Hwy 33 in Beaver Dam
Event TIME Details: 10 am to 6 pm each day.

Directions: From Madison - take Hwy 151 North to Dodge Cty Hwy 33 and go eastt to Fabisch Road.From Milwaukee - Take Hwy 41 North to Hwy 33 West. Take Hwy 33 West to the Dodge County Fairgrounds. From Fox Cities - Take Hwy 41 South to Hwy 26 South. Take Hwy 26 South to Hwy 151 South. Take Hwy 151 to County Hwy 33 East. .

Phone: (920) 219-1260

Website II: http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/historiccamelot/Harvest05.html

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes sir Lloyd!

The pike and shott are trading in our muskets and pikes for spears and shields! We're trying our hand at an Anglo-Saxon herthweru (hearth guard) for the first time. So when those pictures of this event come up be kind in judging our representation! Happy

Can't wait Lloyd, its going ot be a blast!

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion will also have a booth at our fayre as well - a good chance to see some of their very new, extremely nice (and highly wanted at least by me) swords!

Also, Amy if ya'll bring the Death Dealer gear, I'll get that picture taken for you!

We will also be having (at 2pm each day) a full on armour demonstration, including destructive testing of some MT armour and tatami mat cutting by Jason of Albion! A real good time WILL be had by all!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Chris Last

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd-

Let me know if you want us to bring anything specific to help out.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Anything and everything you all want to bring. Shoot me a PM with your phone number and I'll call and coordinate with you this weekend.

Hey, is your Father-in-law waiting for us to call him or are we waiting for him to call us? I can't remember (you know, too much blunt head trauma WTF?! )

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Chris Last

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PM Sent!

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a BUMP! Hope you all can come!
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last BUMP, since I will be on site all day tomorrow getting the faire set up.

Hope to see you all there! (and don't forget that we are raffling off a custom Mercenary Tailor version of this helm:

Conical Helm

if I can get it away from my 3-year old daughter (who has been wearing everywhere since last night - it is fully padded!

We will also be doing our absolute best to destroy This and This during our weapons demonstration.

Thanks again to Allan of Mercenary Tailor for his support of our project!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Chris Last

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: What a fun time!         Reply with quote

Thank you so much to Lloyd and Lisa for having this event! It was a great time to take a step back and do some of the things that got me involved in Ren Faires in the first place. the intimate atmosphere allowed us to interact with so many people and have such a fantastic time explaining the work we were doing. From attaching leather rims to our round shields to practicing staff and spear work, we, and the patrons, had a blast.

Also thank you for letting us run with the weapons demo. We had a great time abusing pumpkins with spears, axes, staves, and anthing else we could get our hands on. Allan, we're sorry we obliterated your breastplate, but Lloyd told us too. Happy

Lastly I'd like to again thank Harlan and Albion for allowing us to drool over their pieces, swamp them with questions, and most of all allow us to practice forms with the real deal. That was a personal highlight of the weekend for me and it made such a difference working with proper weapons.

Thank you again guys and gals, and I'm positive we'll be back next year!

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
Albion will also have a booth at our fayre as well - a good chance to see some of their very new, extremely nice (and highly wanted at least by me) swords!

Too far from Cincy. Cry Would've been there otherwise!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris;

Some description of what you did to the B & B plate would be appreciated as I have one and am curious about what it can take and what will destroy it.

How much protection can one realistically expect and what is guarantied to pierce, smash, cut etc .........

When doing a destructive test I assume one starts with small stuff the armour can laugh off and progresses to more and more challenging the armour, and until one bring out the nuclear bombs like poleaxes or 1500 pound draw weight crossbows if one can find one.

Oh, for me personally, I can view Quicktime movies but I can't view the Microsoft types movies. ( There might be a free download for those for the MAC ??? ) So some written descriptions would be appreciated.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chris Last

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-

I'll get measurements of the items we used when I get home tonight, but here's a run down of what we used:

Saturday - MRL Footmans Hammer, MRL Bec de Corbin, MRL Flanged Mace

Sunday - MRL Footmans Hammer, MRL Flanged Mace

The breast plate was affixed to a static target (hay bales) and secured by twine. Upon looking at the breastplate before we got involved it looked as though there was some minor dings in it. If I remember correctly, one of Lloyd's squires mentioned the had shot arrows at it. I don't know any of the specifics on that though.

Our work on it, consisted of initially striking with the head of the MRL footmans hammer. this caved the breastplate in fairly well, and provided a decent surface for the back spike to pierce in. With a good wind up, the spike did only go in about an inch or so. The MRL flanged mace did very little other than dent. The show stopper was the Bec however as its beak tore a two inch gash in the plate.

At the end of day one, the breast plate held up better than we had anticipated. With a decent peascoding to it, and on a moving target we figured we would have been hard pressed to do more than a cracked rib or two to the wearer.

Day two however was messy. The Breast plate had been partially reshaped, and really we just went to town on it. The hammer did its denting and then piercing job again, and the mace cracked through much easier. After the mace went the hammer went back to it, as we were told to destroy it after we had done the demo. I don't think we have video of that, but I'll see what I can get together in the near future.

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks;

Sort of what I expected with weapons designed to get to the soft mushy parts under the hard shell of armour. Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Bec de Corbin, War hammer, maces, Poleaxe: The can openers of weapons !

Maybe one could survive and keep fighting after one or two " glancing " blows, but not much more! And a fully absorbed blow probably, just one would put you out of commission or kill you outright.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Day two however was messy. The Breast plate had been partially reshaped, and really we just went to town on it.

Hey, I know it wasn't beautiful on Sunday, but I did the best I could with two light hammers, a rubber mallet, a trailer hitch, a concrete/steel post, and my boots Wink

Lloyd and crew did a number on it on Saturday and the bec's damage was very evident. You guys ripped it apart on Sunday. Lloyd said he was planning to ship the victim back to Allan for documentation/autopsy Big Grin [/quote]
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Breaking stuff is fun! I'll throw some more stuff together for next year's "trash it" fest. Any one get any video by chance?
Chris Last

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No video, but still pictures. One of my guys took a bunch of photos, so as soon as I get copies I'll post them.

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Real quick - here are some pics (taken by a coworker of mine) - unfortunately, none of the demo:

http://www.rensites.com/gallery/Camelot-Medie...Fayre-2005

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Chris Last

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: A bunch of Breastplate destruction photos         Reply with quote

Here we go!

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Chris Last

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here are some more photos of what my group did there. Be kind, it is our first attempt at something other than 1570's English Trayn'd Bande! Happy

http://gsmbristol.org/pictures/GSM-PicturesCam2005.htm

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Camelot Medieval Harvest Fayre Part Deux!!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: