Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Took the plunge on a Tritonia Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Took the plunge on a Tritonia         Reply with quote

Should ship in three weeks according to Mike at Albion. I'm excited.

Attachment: 24.16 KB
alb_tritonia_g.jpg

Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool beans man! Honestly, I've always liked the looks of that sword over all of the other museum line stuff, I think it's something about that spherical pomel or something. Big Grin Let us know how it handles and everything. What color grip did you get on it?
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan,
Congrats on a fine sword. It's certainly one of the most unique pieces on the market. I've played with one a little bit and liked its handling. Its look didn't grab me at first, but it's grown on me.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Yurgil wrote:
What color grip did you get on it?

I'm pretty sure the Museum Line only comes in black (except the Svante's maroonish).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ahh....
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, black only. I like the look of it on this one, though. This puppy is a beast. It's my first European 1-hander, so it should be a transition from all the whopping 2-handers I've owned (Longclaw is 48.5" long).
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Tritonia is one of my favorites in the entire Albion line. Congrats.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on a fine purchase. I hope to a Tritonia to my collection some day. I really love that spherical pommel.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, it's an under reported yet outstanding sword. To be honest I didn't like the look of it at first but after studying a lot of period illustrations I noted that the type XIIIb kept showing up again and again. I figured that our ancestors must have known something I didn't so when the opportunity presented itself I purchased the sword. I'm very glad I did... and our ancestors were right... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll have mine in less than two weeks! Razz
After a lot of consideration and reconsideration, I picked the Tritonia for my "Free 7th" sword last week.
It was a tough decision. I think like a lot of people, for me the ball pommel was a little off-putting. I had to get past that initial prejudice, but I think the sword has a lot of character.
I'm very much looking forward to getting this one in hand. My collection is really geared toward this general type -- Gaddhjalt, Templar, Knight, Sovreign, Baron, SoSM when it comes out, and now Tritonia.
We shall have to compare notes in a couple of weeks!

Brian M
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Happy ! This may sound a little odd, but although I'm not a huge fan of the blade on this one, I absolutely love the hilt. Brian, when you see the piece in hand, I think you'll come around to the ball pommel; it is one of the features I like the most.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The Tritonia is one of my favorites in the entire Albion line. Congrats.

Ditto. Also, given its weight and blade style, that thing should be a real cleaver (I say that in a good way). In fact, not only is it one of my favorite Albions, but also one of my favorite single-handers, period. Woohoo! Have fun. Happy
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Tritonia         Reply with quote

Ryan,

Congrats! You will love the sword. I have one and really enjoy it.

When I ordered mine I asked Mike if there was a finished one in stock or if it would take the 2-3 weeks listed on the website. He said it would be the 2-3 weeks. The sword was shipped two days after ordering it which tells me they had one lying around already.

I received the sword and loved the feel and construction but the cosmetic finish left a bit to be desired. There were obvious large grind marks on the blade edges all around that had not been smoothed out as well as large uneven circular scratches on the guard and pommel. Not at all the finish I would expect from a Museum line piece. There were numerous little rust spots up and down the blade. Also it did not have the even smooth satin finish that the first few Albion swords I had ordered came with. There were scratches running sideways and diagonal on the blade.

I mentioned it to Mike and as always they were more than willing to fix the issues I had, so no complaints about Albion's customer service, but I have a problem paying to ship a sword back for cosmetic issues that should be caught before shipping. I have since learned how to fix these finish flaws on my own and had great success. There is nothing more disappointing to wait for the sword to arrive and just have to ship it right back and wait yet again.

I have ordered 6 Albion Mark swords so far, two first generation, one museum line, and 3 next generation.

Out of the two first generation swords the Mainz was flawless and the Kragehul was refused due to very loose furniture, casting flaws in the hilt and a discoloration in the blade the size of a half dollar.

My Gotland was perfect.

My Knight was great except for an uneven satin finish at the base of the blade that extended up the first 4 inches (sideways scratches ect.) Also there was rust on many spots of the first 4 inches of the blade. Once again Mike was more than willing to get it resolved but I still have a problem having to pay to ship a sword back for these minor issues that should have been caught before shipping. The grips on my sword have always been very well done. The only one you could even see a seam or skive line on was the Knight and that was barely noticable.

My Templar was great except for giant uneven scratches covering an area about the size of a dime in two different spots on the guard. Thanks to information I have received from Patrick Kelley I have learned how to fix these minor cosmetic issues and can now put a finish on better than what there is when shipped on some of my swords, so I did not even bother to call about it, though I was dissapointed to have to do this myself.

I love Albion swords and you will love your Tritonia and the customer service is great. I just wish they would become more consistent in the QC department when it comes to finishing. I receive some that have smooth flawless finishes and some that look like they were slid across some abrasive surface in different areas. I am not sure if some finishes are a result of training new people or what. I am always told that once in a while things like that slip through, I just wish they would slip through on someone else once in a while.

Aside from the Kragehul I have never had a complaint about handling an construction and will keep ordering, I just wish the swords sent to me had the same perfect finish as the ones sent to the myArmoury.com reviewers.

Enjoy Sir!

Esse Quam Videri
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tritonia         Reply with quote

Lance Higgins wrote:
I just wish the swords sent to me had the same perfect finish as the ones sent to the myArmoury.com reviewers.

Please note that we've received very, very few review samples from Albion. Most of the Albion swords reviewed here are customer-purchased items that Albion didn't know would be reviewed. Having said that, I've seen nearly as much fluctuation in the QC department as you have.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eesh. Hopefully mine arrives in mint condition. If not, I may be looking to you, Lance, for some advice!
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Tritonia         Reply with quote

I am sure yours will be perfect.

You will enjoy cutting with it.

I only wish I had a horse and a few well armored neighbors. Happy

L

Esse Quam Videri
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tritonia         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Please note that we've received very, very few review samples from Albion. Most of the Albion swords reviewed here are customer-purchased items that Albion didn't know would be reviewed. Having said that, I've seen nearly as much fluctuation in the QC department as you have.

While I have had pretty good luck with the swords I've purchased from Albion for myself (good but not perfect, the last three have been very nice and without issue) I've seen the same type of fluctuation in QC across the board. Some have been nearly perfect, some shouldn't have ever gone out the door.

Good luck on your purchase Ryan. In the end the Tritonia is one heck of a sword.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tritonia         Reply with quote

Lance Higgins wrote:
I just wish the swords sent to me had the same perfect finish as the ones sent to the myArmoury.com reviewers.

I had the same impression with my viceroy. I was expecting mine to look like the one pictured on the site, and I got my self all pumped up expecting this immaculate sword, only to have a big let down when I opened the box and saw the deep nasty scratches all over my hilt components.

It looked like somebody with no experience was handed a scotchbrite and told to "Start scuffing"... The scratches were so deep I have spent hours refinishing it and still have not polished out some of the deeper ones.

I also felt as though there were "golden samples" sent to myArmoury.com and pictured on the site, as mine looked pretty nasty compared to the expectation that was set with the photos on the site. But after I polished it with polish three times it looked a lot more smooth, uniform, and even, though to shiny. Since then I have learned to refinish with scotchbrite and have refinished the hilt stuff a few times to a nice silky satin, though as I said some of the deep scratches are still there.

Luckily my blade was very nice, with only minor grinder marks on it, only the hilt components had an unprofessional look. When I asked mike about it he said they scuff it like that on purpose, which is obviously the case, though mine was not at all like the pics.

I have found using very light and even semi-circle strokes, or even circular strokes produces the smoothest silky finish on the hilt stuff, rather than the random cross hatch scuff it came with. Though I was displeased with the hilt finish, I was not about to spend another dime to ship back a $1000 sword.

After working with the finish for some time, and learning what works best, I have a quiet a silky smooth sword now. All in all I am very happy with it, as it is one finely crafted piece of art. Happy
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Quality Control         Reply with quote

First, I'd like to apologize to everyone who received swords not in "mint" condition. That is unacceptable.

Our goal is 100% satisfaction.

Up until a few weeks ago, the final handling of the sword was in the hands of our shipping person, who is fortunately no longer with us. He was not a part of the production team -- a fault we have remedied.

Now, shipping is part of the QC process, with an actual cutler handling the sword before it goes into the box. If you receive a sword that is not in mint condition from this point on, please feel free to email me directly at howyw@albion-swords.com.

Thanks,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been very happy with all of my Albion's,

I'm just jealous of those with more Albions than me Razz Laughing Out Loud

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Took the plunge on a Tritonia
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: