Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from our recent trip to London Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Pics from our recent trip to London         Reply with quote

My wife and I recently took a trip to London. While most of the pics and places visited are entirely OT for this forum, there are a few that could be of interest to folks.

We did all the touristy things, of course, but did get to visit the Wallace Collection, which was a great experience. That I got to visit it with Nathan Robinson (in London on his own trip) was a bonus. Unfortunately, they don't allow pictures to be taken. Neither does Westminster Abbey and several other important places (mostly churches/cathedrals)

The first batch are historical figures in varying degrees of armoured dress: Charlemagne, Richard I, and Oliver Cromwell.

Attachment: 105.8 KB
upload3.jpg
Statue of Charlemagne outside of Notre Dame in Paris.

Attachment: 58.92 KB
upload6.jpg
Statue of Richard the Lionheart outside the Houses of Parliament.

Attachment: 50.76 KB
upload4.jpg
Statue of Oliver Cromwell outside the Houses of Parliament.

Attachment: 55.26 KB
upload5.jpg
Detail of Cromwell's Mortuary Sword, for Bill G.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics.

The next one is of the effigy of William Longespée the Younger. William died on crusade and was buried at Mansourah. An effigy, sans tomb of course, was made after his death and placed in Salisbury Cathedral. It's mentioned in Nathan's Type XV spotlight. It's a very early example of a blade with a diamond cross-section, which makes it noteworthy for us today. Having only seen Oakeshott's drawing of the effigy, it was interesting to see it in person.

Attachment: 60.79 KB
upload1.jpg
Effigy of William Longespée the Younger

Attachment: 60.8 KB
upload2.jpg
Zoomed

Attachment: 79.37 KB
upload8.jpg
Salisbury Cathedral

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You simply must post more photos.

How did you like the exchange rate? One of my project managers just got back from London and spent most of the day complaining about the exchange rate. Although he did mention that he also got to watch a premier league game with some real, live English football hooligans. Apparently that was some kind of fantasy he's had or something.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a bunch of pics in my PictureTrail album: http://www.picturetrail.com/carnow6494

While I took over 500 pics on that trip, most would be OT. I could probably get away with pics of Windsor Castle or the Tower of London, though. Happy

Here's a fun one. My wife with Nathan, behind Westminster Abbey:

Attachment: 56.53 KB
upload9.jpg
A mounted figure from atop the Basilique du Sacré Coeur, Paris

Attachment: 54.96 KB
upload10.jpg
Romanesque figures from the Arc de Triomphe

Attachment: 75.82 KB
upload11.jpg
Figures from the entrance to Notre Dame, Paris

Attachment: 86.22 KB
upload12.jpg
Atop the door to Westminster Abbey

Attachment: 51.52 KB
upload13.jpg
The Tower of London

Attachment: 70.82 KB
upload14.jpg
Windsor Castle

Attachment: 91.63 KB
upload15.jpg
St. George's Chapel, home of the Order of the Garter, Windsor Castle

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
How did you like the exchange rate? One of my project managers just got back from London and spent most of the day complaining about the exchange rate. Although he did mention that he also got to watch a premier league game with some real, live English football hooligans. Apparently that was some kind of fantasy he's had or something.

The exchange rate obviously is not so good for us in the States. It was not quite 2 pounds : 1 dollar, but it was close. We didn't eat extravagantly, and stayed with friends, which kept the cost down. We took trains and the tube around, which were pretty cheap and easy to use once you know what you're doing. Happy

We spent about 8 hours in Paris; not nearly enough, of course, but enough to see Sacré Coeur, the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. We spent 2 days wandering around London and also took a day bus trip to Windsor Castle, Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. A great trip overall. I only wish the trip was longer and I was richer...

There was some important cricket match going on. I have no idea how that sport works. Apparently you can score more than your opponent and still lose or something. Also, the matches take days. Strange...

Happy

ChadA

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Chad, do you have any more of effigies by chance?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Thanks for the pictures Chad, do you have any more of effigies by chance?

Unfortunately, I don't. Westminster, which doesn't allow pics, has a ton of effigies. I would have loved to snap away, especially with all the famous folks buried there. It's actually jam-packed with effigies. Ditto with the crypt in St. Paul's cathedral (no pics). Salisbury Cathedral had several effigies and did allow pics, but I didn't have time to get anything besides the one above.

Happy

ChadA

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't. Westminster, which doesn't allow pics, has a ton of effigies. I would have loved to snap away, especially with all the famous folks buried there. It's actually jam-packed with effigies. Ditto with the crypt in St. Paul's cathedral (no pics). Salisbury Cathedral had several effigies and did allow pics, but I didn't have time to get anything besides the one above.

Drat. That must have been sort of frustrating for you. Thanks for getting the pictures you did get.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Drat. That must have been sort of frustrating for you. Thanks for getting the pictures you did get.

It was a little frustrating, but understandable. Most of those sites are still active places of worship. When you factor that in with wanting to preserve centuries-old art and wanting to show proper reverence for the deceased, I can see why they would disallow picture taking.

Notre Dame, in Paris, does allow pics. We were there during an afternoon Mass. I was surprised and dismayed by the number of people taking flash pictures of the church and the priests during Mass. I only took a few pics, sans flash, and tried to remain unobtrusive. People were trying to worship after all.

The Tower of London also allows pics, but I wanted to experience the place without having to worry about getting a bunch of shots. Plus, this was a trip for my wife and me (celebrating her graduation from school and the start of her new career and my recent 30th birthday), and out of respect for her, I wanted to not get bogged down in arms-and-armour-geekiness too much. It was our trip after all, not my trip. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

It was a little frustrating, but understandable. Most of those sites are still active places of worship. When you factor that in with wanting to preserve centuries-old art and wanting to show proper reverence for the deceased, I can see why they would disallow picture taking.

Notre Dame, in Paris, does allow pics. We were there during an afternoon Mass. I was surprised and dismayed by the number of people taking flash pictures of the church and the priests during Mass. I only took a few pics, sans flash, and tried to remain unobtrusive. People were trying to worship after all.

The Tower of London also allows pics, but I wanted to experience the place without having to worry about getting a bunch of shots. Plus, this was a trip for my wife and me (celebrating her graduation from school and the start of her new career and my recent 30th birthday), and out of respect for her, I wanted to not get bogged down in arms-and-armour-geekiness too much. It was our trip after all, not my trip. Happy

Good points and good for you!

Eric Nower

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on the trip Chad,

I went over there a couple of years back, and it was a real treat! Really nice photo's too, I wanted to see the Tower of London, but we ran out of time when I was there.

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Chad,

Thanks for the Cromwell Mortuary pic! Big Grin Was just looking through some photos of Warwick Castle from my last trip over there. Hard to believe it's been 6 yrs since our last visit. My wife is desparately wanting to go back, some time next year, to visit all her relatives around Cambridge & Newmarket. Out of all the trips over, we have never made it to London to site see, but I'd love to go next time.

Glad you folks enjoyed yourselves.

Cheers,
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
...Westminster, which doesn't allow pics, has a ton of effigies...It's actually jam-packed with effigies....

I would call it "cluttered" Laughing Out Loud
Randolph Howard

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
There was some important cricket match going on. I have no idea how that sport works. Apparently you can score more than your opponent and still lose or something. Also, the matches take days. Strange...

Some important match?? That was the Ashes, Chad! We invented cricket you see, but like most sports we invent we started to suck at it. Eventually, in 1882, the Aussies beat us at our own game and everyone was so upset that they burnt the stumps (for you yanks, the vertical sticks you are supposed to hit when bowling and protect while batting) and gave the ashes to the Aussies in a little urn. Since then, once a year, England and Australia have played a test series (made up of 5 test matches of four days each) to decide who gets the ashes. This year, England won for the first time since 1982, AND our team is getting better while the Aussie team is getting old. English cricket lives! I would explain the rules, but it would take a while, and wouldn't technically be anything to do with swords. Just think of chess on a pitch, with bats, a ball and lots of white outfits. Oh and gentlemanly behaviour- very different from the football hooligans.

Sorry about the exchange rate, but it's great for me when buying an albion. Happy

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."
-Thucydides.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think we last won the ashes in 1987 actually. I wasn't really a cricket fan until about 3 weeks ago. Big Grin

Chad, did you manage to get to the Temple church (i can't remember the exact name), you know, the one with all the effigies of 12th-13th century knights?
Randolph Howard

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
I think we last won the ashes in 1987 actually. I wasn't really a cricket fan until about 3 weeks ago. Big Grin

Chad, did you manage to get to the Temple church (i can't remember the exact name), you know, the one with all the effigies of 12th-13th century knights?

Damn- you're right. I was thinking of the last ever 'great' ashes series that some pundits were talking about. Hooray for the new fans- bravo sir! Big Grin

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."
-Thucydides.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:

No, I didn't get to that one. We only got to Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's. Maybe next time. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from our recent trip to London
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic