Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Wanted ideas for new items............ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Wanted ideas for new items............         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

If I might crave your indulgence for a moment.............

I am trying to add new items to my website and I just wondered what items you would like to see available , both with the collector and the living - history user in mind ?

Obviously, my main personal interest is armour , but I enjoy making items for re enactment and living-history users as well with both camp equipment and person items of all periods. If you have any ideas I would love to hear of them.
Many thanks, your feed back would be most appreciated.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally would like to see more web sites that provide some guidance regarding applicability of armour being offered by time frame and type of combatant. This would help us "non-experts" of modest means purchase a harness a piece at a time. My own interest is in "transitional armour" (1250 - 1350 AD) that others have described as combinations of mail, leather, and plate in strategic locations (such as helm.)

Also, I have no intention to emulate a full "mounted knight", since the equestrian committment is more than I am willing to undertake. I am not sure if there really was such a thing as a "knightly man at arms" who specialized in foot combat, but would be interested in collecting a munition grade kit that represents what a skilled and respected "man at arms", expecting to fight a particular battle primarily on foot, would have worn (half harness...possibly some leather?)

I hope the above helps, or at least generates some other input and useful ideas. I am sure there are others out there who do not plan to buy horse armour and simulate Renaissance era jousting, but would still like to collect and train in some elements of historical foot combat work.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
M. McGuirk

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello. At the moment, I am 15 years old, but I have more than most knowledge of several arms and armour. I would say that seeing the Anglo-Saxon style armour would be cool to see. If you made these kinds of things, especially the leather/mail style Saxon, I would be more than happy to buy some from your site when I have the money.

At the moment, I only have an two oriental katanas. But I am now much more interested in the British Isles invasion of the turn of the 1000s ce by the vikings and saxons. Any info anyone can send me, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank You

Sua Sponte
"Of Their Own Accord"

M. McGuirk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like someone to make REASONABLY priced ( I realize this is relative) Awl / Byknife sets.
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: BC         Reply with quote

For me the answer would be simple...

Go BC... especialy Celtic because Roman stuff (and Creek stuff now a days because of the Alexander and Troy movies) allready do exist in manny different price ranges...

Then try to stick to the actual archeological proved stuff, and avoid antenna and Anthropomorphic like hilts and leafshaped blades.
Then accompany these (La Tene) swords with Iron scabbards because they do belong to each other...
Then find a way off staying under the 500 euro for the price of such a sword and scabbard combination...

Then make some nice Celtic all purpose nifes (100/200 euro's) maybe some Celtic style schield bosses.

And some different styles of Celtic helmets for somewhere around 300 (euro's)
There is not much on the market that is wearable and realy looking Celtic.

O, eh and make it all nice and schinny not "yust dug up" or primmifly (barbaric) finnished like...

Then promoot your stuff at severall Europien show's, internet site's and such... And your in bussiness...
And i'll be the first to buy your stuff Wink ...

Well is that simple or what...? Worried Big Grin Cool Wink

just my little opinion..... Big Grin

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
I'd like someone to make REASONABLY priced ( I realize this is relative) Awl / Byknife sets.

Heh...you might be in luck. Russ and I talked about just that yesterday. Though we did not get into the price subject, that I leave to him! Byknives, from the womens knife that is on the webpage now, to smallish seaxes and medieval eating knives would be good.

And Russ....hairpins. Hairpins man.

Johan Schubert Moen
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

Thankyou for the ideas, please keep 'em coming ! Happy

Amongst the items that will be added to the site shortly are Roman items , some Celtic items and some English civil war armour.

Quote:

As Johan said we were discussing this very thing only last night ! So watch this space.......... Happy But generally , tools etc. might well be of interest , as well as being fun to make. I'll possibly work on that one......

Folkert, Celtic helmets are on the list you will be pleased to hear Happy As for making them historically accurate , I try wherever possible, budgetary restraints allowing !

M.McGuirk, I shy away from both mail and leather armour unfortunately. There are others that can make them both better and cheaper than I could, but there are a couple of Phrygian helmets that will be on the website very shortly !

Jared, Thanks for the input. It would be very difficult to list all the possible combinations of armour of course, but I would like to think that anybody with any doubts or questions would have their questions answered by simply contacting the merchant. I think that most of the people that I have dealt with have gone away with a lot more information than they expected....mind you they were probably just lucky in asking about something I actually knew something about ! Laughing Out Loud

Yes Johan, hairpins............every race track should have them ! Worried I am actually already working on it !! Cool You will have it on Thursday !

Thanyou for the suggestions gentlemen, many thanks for your time and trouble, it is very much appreciated.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about some iron needles Russ, both for textile and leatherwork? Granted, I do not know how they are made, and the work involved may not be worth it...but still, a suggestion.

Some nice iron beltrings would possibly also be of interest to people.

Johan Schubert Moen
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Johan,

Needles, well it is funny that you should mention them, because I used to make them for Nusse and her students for the classes, possibly Mona and Hilde have some of them? I made them in iron , hardened copper and hardened brass. Hmmmmm, I had completely forgotten about them, thanks for reminding me. Happy
BTW. I will try and find that iron age buckle out for you tomorrow . I think that it is the one pictured on the website, but I am not absolutely certain about that.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
But generally , tools etc. might well be of interest , as well as being fun to make. I'll possibly work on that one......

... but there are a couple of Phrygian helmets that will be on the website very shortly !

Mundane pieces are always kind of neat - yes, the military aspect of life is interesting, but so is the civilian aspect, and oft neglected. I personally am looking at constructing a tripod for a campfire... a few S-hooks, possibly some rudimentary camp tools too... Not many options out there for the consumer.

I'd like to see those Phrygian helms...

Also, somewhat related, somewhat not... I've seen somewhere an example of that iron age belt but can't recall, and didn't really clearly see how it worked anyway. Anyone have a diagram of how that belt actually works? Is it just a leather girdle that overlaps, a keyhole cut in the top flap, with a loop from the bottom protruding through that the "buckle" slides through to hold it in place?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
... but there are a couple of Phrygian helmets that will be on the website very shortly !

That's one of my favorite designs!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron,

That is pretty much it. There are two slits running across the belt width, say about 1/2"- 3/4" wide and perhaps about 1/2" apart, that the prong of the buckle goes through.The prong has a small turn back to it that locates in a hole in the bottom layer of the belt.

Here is the one that Johan is having.......... I think ! Happy

http://www.living-history.no/wahre/ibb1.JPG

Another perhaps simpler method that I have seen done, is to simply tie the buckle to the end of the belt with a leather thong. It can look quite nice if done neatly.

Incidently, there is a viking tripod going onto the website together with a grill and cauldron , with all the hooks and the chain too. I have been quite industrious recently Happy It is as you say the simpler everyday things that are so interesting. I love making these kind of items

The phrygian helms, well one was a custom piece with a rather tall crown and a nasal, and the other is the more usual, shallower version which I still have to finish, but it should be on the site shortly.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
That is pretty much it. There are two slits running across the belt width, say about 1/2"- 3/4" wide and perhaps about 1/2" apart, that the prong of the buckle goes through.The prong has a small turn back to it that locates in a hole in the bottom layer of the belt.

Yeah, that's the part I forgot - knew there was a detail I was forgetting about - the turn back hook. All in all, a very neat, simple piece... rather like it, actually. One of these days, we may just have to chat about one of those buckles...

Russ Thomas wrote:
Incidently, there is a viking tripod going onto the website together with a grill and cauldron , with all the hooks and the chain too. I have been quite industrious recently Happy It is as you say the simpler everyday things that are so interesting. I love making these kind of items.

Looking forward to seeing it. It's been my experience that the civillian camp (or even a military camp that is well presented) is as much fun and as much a learning experience as the combat reenactments. Putting this into play really adds a neat and completely different spin in the lives of our (very) distant relatives.

Russ Thomas wrote:
The phrygian helms, well one was a custom piece with a rather tall crown and a nasal, and the other is the more usual, shallower version which I still have to finish, but it should be on the site shortly.

Should be very interesting. 2-piece bowl, or raised from a single piece? Even if just from an admirer's point of view, these should be a treat to see.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah... now I see the light! Idea

Here's that pic... and your explanation filled in all the gaps nicely. I just wasn't quite seeing it - or, rather, thought I was missing something.

Buckle slips through the top one only, then gets pinned into the other side of the belt to hold it fast.

Thanks, man!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It's been my experience that the civillian camp (or even a military camp that is well presented) is as much fun and as much a learning experience as the combat reenactments. Putting this into play really adds a neat and completely different spin in the lives of our (very) distant relatives.

Quite ! It is usually around the camp that people sit doing small hand crafts etc, as well as the warriors cleaning and repairing their weapons and kit. This is pretty much the living-history bit as far as I am concerned, the ordinary everyday things that had to be done for life to go on. It is really interesting with all the subtle differences as you go through the ages, how techniques and tools changed over the years.

The phrygian helms are both of 2 piece welded construction......but, I do have a replica of the Olmutz helmet that I am raising from a single piece ! It is about three quarters finished now.......Possibly if I ask Johan nicely, he might be kind enough to post a picture or two of it for us ? ..............................................Ok Johan, if asking nicely doesn't work what about bribery........hairpins ! Laughing Out Loud The Olmutz replica is raised out of a single piece of 1/8" (3mm), plate and weighs 6lbs at the moment.

Regards as ever,

Russ

Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually Aaron, I am almost certain that the belt and buckle that you show there is in fact one that I made a couple of years ago ? Happy

Regards as ever,

Russ

I checked, and it is indeed one of mine, as sold by the Jelling Dragon ! Now there is a coincidence.......... Wink

Last edited by Russ Thomas on Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
Quite ! It is usually around the camp that people sit doing small hand crafts etc, as well as the warriors cleaning and repairing their weapons and kit. This is pretty much the living-history bit as far as I am concerned, the ordinary everyday things that had to be done for life to go on. It is really interesting with all the subtle differences as you go through the ages, how techniques and tools changed over the years.

Exactly. Beating on each other has it's merits... but it was sitting in front of a Gokstad tent, on a period chest, eating some really wild squid/fish/vegetable mixture that had been cooked inside a hollowed out onion in the fire's coals, drinking mead (my contribution) that I first saw card weaving, some silver work, another guy was working on mending a pair of shoes, and someone was painstakingly working on a bit of riveted maille. I made a moderately successful attempt at learning a bit of Swedish and Dutch (modern, but still cultural). We discussed one of the sagas, though which, I can't recall... may have been one some of the guys were making up to tell tales of our adventures. I'd have given up half of my battle time for an equal amount of time in camp... which would translate to quite a few hours. I miss this type of activity quite a lot... It helped me do two things - first, it helped me understand and crawl into my persona a lot better - second, it gave me a better understanding of myself, and an appreciation for what we do have today.

Russ Thomas wrote:
The phrygian helms are both of 2 piece welded construction......but, I do have a replica of the Olmutz helmet that I am raising from a single piece ! It is about three quarters finished now.......The Olmutz replica is raised out of a single piece of 1/8" (3mm), plate and weighs 6lbs at the moment.

Sounds pretty good, Russ! Given the opportunity, I don't know which I would rather have... the low Phrygian, or the Olmutz. Both should be pretty sweet!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, some piccies for you(at different stages in the process, I just picked two that show the helm from different angles. Just tell me if you need more) Wink. I can't withstand hairpins...

Johan Schubert Moen

Attachment: 120.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 113.79 KB
[ Download ]
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankyou for that Johan, you get a cookie...................and a Hairpin !! Laughing Out Loud

The two pictures were taken a short while ago and the helmet has progressed quite a bit since then, it now looks like a helmet, it is considerably deeper and more pointy. The first of the two pictures is of course actually the later stage ,there beings some three or four hours hammering between these stages and the two pictures being taken. I think so far I have spent about twenty eight hours hammering this piece, though to be honest, much of the initial raising was done cold, which takes much longer.

Regards as ever,

Russ

PS. Thanks again Johan Happy

Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Quite ! It is usually around the camp that people sit doing small hand crafts etc, as well as the warriors cleaning and repairing their weapons and kit. This is pretty much the living-history bit as far as I am concerned, the ordinary everyday things that had to be done for life to go on.

I was sitting around a metal brasier, on a log, dressed like a 10th century Dane, looking up at the stars. I was discussing the days big battle with a fellow named Ragnar, and eating stew out of a plastic bowl with a plastic spoon. That's when I knew I wanted the awl and byknife, and a good wooden bowl. Come to find many makers are charging $100+ for a byknife. I hope you go forward with the project. Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Wanted ideas for new items............
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: