Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you organize/document your collection? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: How do you organize/document your collection?         Reply with quote

This topic came up on another forum, and I thought it would be interesting to the members here.

How do you organize/document your collection, if at all? I suspect this might be more germaine for those who collect antiques. However, given what I've read on this site, quite often replicas and reproductions (even if not based on a particular, individual, sword) require equal detail in documentation.

Historically, I've used a simple set of measurements, a brief description including any provenance provided by the seller (even if of dubious reliability), and some photographs, usually on a plain background.

Andrew Question

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I meant to post this in the OT forum. Would a mod please move it?

A

-Richard Milhous Nixon
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't have enough of a collection right now to bother organizing it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Frankly, I created my Web site to catalog and document my collection. It gave me a reason to measure and photograph everything; and provided an outlet to share it. The Web site evolved into myArmoury.com, and there's certainly room here for others to share the same.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think research about and documentation of our replicas is a requirement for a "serious" collection. Moreover, I'm learning that even a very small or even nonexistant collection benefits from thought about organization. There are so many replicas I'd like to own that I've been haphazard in acquiring them. I mean, I'll get a 14th century falchion because I've heard good things about it and it's a bargain. I'd even go far out of my way to learn about falchions, but until recently wouldn't give much thought about how the acquisition relates to the other items in my collection or the other items I'm interested in. It's challenging to give more thought to organization, but I'm finding it more rewarding because it focuses my collecting interests and encourages me to think more about the history of arms and armor. Now I'll see something and think "that's a nice replica, and a bargain, but it doesn't logically fit with what I'm trying to do with my collection". I'm getting more selective. I noticed that Bjorn said he's hoping to have one good example of every major weapon type. That's a very clear personal goal, even if that collection will be one of several discrete collections he owns. I'm settling into a pattern of collecting 17th and 18th c. infantry swords. That's also a very clear personal goal. As soon as I was able to articulate that goal for myself, I found that my interest in some replicas dissipated very quickly even as I became much more interested in periods and weapons I hadn't really considered before (specifically, 18th c. military hangers and Confederate foot officers/field officers swords). I think my goal is open to the occaisional special piece, but the bulk of the collection remains organized around a single clear principle. Even if I should want to replace my basket hilt, I'll have to consider a replica that would in some way support the collection as a whole rather than be a stand-alone piece. My falchion, which I'm very fond of, fits the theme of the collection (plain or regular-issue infantry weapons) if not the core chronological criteria (17th/18th c.) Ditto for the confederate sword if I end up getting one. On the other hand, I've now ruled out a model 1796 light cav. saber, confederate cav. saber, etc. It remains to be seen if I can sustain this collecting discipline in spite of the growing number of nice replicas available for all periods, but the challenge is constructive and educational.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you organize/document your collection?         Reply with quote

Organization wise, I bought a Rubber Maid garden tool rack (the rack you can stand up about 40 differnt tools by their handles) and put my swords in it. That is about as organized as I have gotten.

Documenting them, well that is a good idea, if for insurance reasons only.

Jim
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Documentation: All specs are present on manufacturers websites if ever needed.
Organisation: I can just about count to four in four languages.
I think maybe I don't take this collection thing seriously enough. I have to be responsible/accountable/detailed at work. This sword stuff I do for fun.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Documentation: All specs are present on manufacturers websites if ever needed.
Organisation: I can just about count to four in four languages.
I think maybe I don't take this collection thing seriously enough. I have to be responsible/accountable/detailed at work. This sword stuff I do for fun.

Sounds like you are taking it serious enough to me! Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do some research into weapons and armour that helps me determine what I want next in my lowly collection, and then when that's done, and the money saved and spent, then I don't care to put forth any more effort. I mean I have a lot of paperwork as a social worker already. I don't want to think very hard about weapons-organizing hurts having weapons doesn't! I used up all of that in college and graduate school.
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan and Patrick's collections being noteable exceptions, it seems from the responses that most replica collectors don't really feel the need to painstakingly document and catalog their collections. Is it really more a function of collection size?

Does anyone collect antiques?

-Richard Milhous Nixon
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Winston wrote:
Nathan and Patrick's collections being noteable exceptions, it seems from the responses that most replica collectors don't really feel the need to painstakingly document and catalog their collections. Is it really more a function of collection size?

Does anyone collect antiques?

From its outset one of the principal functions of myArmoury was to serve as a place for collectors to display their collections. This hasn't panned out like we had hoped it would. Many people have talked the talk, but few have walked the walk. We do have standards for collections that are displayed, but these aren't that stringent so almost anyone should be able to do it. About once every couple of years I take photos of my entire weapons collection for theft and insurance purposes. Any serial numbers are cataloged and the photos are stored at my office.

I would love to collect antiques. My problem is that since my main intrests are with viking and medieval swords I simply can't afford to collect the "real thing". I have had numerous antiques in years passed. Mostly 18th-19th century miltary swords, as well as a few middle eastern pieces. Since these aren't my real intrests they've eventually been sold to finance other things. Consequently, I just don't bother with buying antiques anymore.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Adam White

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

From its outset one of the principal functions of myArmoury was to serve as a place for collectors to display their collections. This hasn't panned out like we had hoped it would. Many people have talked the talk, but few have walked the walk. We do have standards for collections that are displayed, but these aren't that stringent so almost anyone should be able to do it.

Can you post a link to point people in the right direction for this?

"Ignorantque datos, ne quisquam serviat, enses"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Adam White"]
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Can you post a link to point people in the right direction for this?

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean, point people in the right direction as to what we are looking for in contributors?? If so, Check out this link.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you organize/document your collection?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic