Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Displaying Your Sword Collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Displaying Your Sword Collection         Reply with quote

Don't know if this had come up here before, but I was somewhat curious as to this now that I have a fair number of nice pieces for "public" display. Now, I'm not just engaging in idle curiosity and have drawn up for myself a couple of ground rules.

1. Security. Needs to be away from children, drunks, idiots, etc. So open display is out.

2. Visibility. Currently my collection mostly sits in my Liberty safe which is firelined. Great for security. Lousy for public display.

3. Permanence. A bit of an off shoot from security. It should be big and heavy enough that a burglar can't sneak it out while I'm sleeping...should he get past my 130 pound surly-one-eyed-maneating devil dog. My current plan is that the display apparatus will house the collection when I'm "home." If i'm to be gone for an extended period time i.e. more than overnight, there is enough room in my safe for storage.

I've looked at the wood/glass "gun cabinets" which look okay, but not ideal. The so-called security of the lock w/ skeleton key is flimsy at best. Tempered glass can shatter. Would prefer plexiglass. Wood in a fire...well that's a bit of a concern, too.

The latest Browning catalog shows something intriguing. It is a wall mountable display case made w/ steel and plexiglass w/ what looks to be sturdy lock and key arrangement. Attractively lacquered finish. Problems: 1) Cost about $1000; and 2) only big enough to house 2 O/U shotguns as shown in the catalog. Got a good sized collection of Evans pieces. Need something bigger. For the cost, I would've thought it might be bigger.

Now my dream display case would be a merging of the above two items. A large double door display case in the fashion of a wood/glass gun cabinet, but made w/ steel and plexiglass w/ a good lock. Initial search on the 'net netted (yep, meant to do that Happy ) zero.

I would like some inputs/suggestions. If one ready made is not in existence, then perhaps a craftsman or an entity who can build me one?

Thanks.
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Display is hard as your finding out, balance between ease of use and security as well as cost.

Two ideas, may or may not help: Sword Room., install a real door, not the hollow interior ones, dead bolt it. Secure, can be closed when the party comes or kids are around and lets you run wild with display. Not a lot of help in a fire however.

Second: Insure them as colectabls and don't worry abought loss, just display them with the flemsy locks.

I do a little of both, sword/gun/Dad's room. Locable for when guests or unknown kiddys are around, oppen 99% of the time, all insured. If some one breaks in or the hose burns down there are other more importaint things to worry abought.

Probly ot really helpful, but maby some thoughts.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I display 6 of my swords on one wall of my office. Clients seem to enjoy talking about them. The hangers were purchased from "By the Sword", and are the simple brass type. My prefered style of sword usually has matching scabbards, and the blades are often rather pedestrian, so they hang sheathed. I'll take one down and unsheath it when asked but, as they are antiques, I don't usually allow anyone to handle them. My office is locked every night, and our suite is alarmed.

At home, with 2 and 4 year old children, I really don't display much. One or two small size weapons on the upper shelves of a bookshelf in my study, and one hanging on the wall, outside the reach of small hands.

The rest reside in a firesafe lateral file cabinet.

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen some display cases made specifically for swords at Ren Faires from time to time but they have all been wood. In most cases just put together by cabinet or furniture makers.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've desired to do the same thing Stephen. I've long wanted some kind of glass fronted display case.

After having looked at what was available in terms of gun cabinets, I've decided that I'll have to have one custom made. I've seen several antique cabinets that would have worked, but I would have to do some alterations. Not something I'm eager to do on an antique. Since either option is expensive it's way back on the back burner.

I currently display my swords in the back living room of my house. I'm not terribly concerned about showing them off, but I like to have them out where I can enjoy them. Since I have mostly upper end stuff I also store them in the gun safe while away on any extended trips. On one particular occasion we were leaving in the afternoon as soon as I got off of work. I left for work before anyone was awake, and I took all of the swords down and put them in the safe before leaving. About two hours into the shift my wife called me. She was in a panic because all of the swords were gone when she woke up Laughing Out Loud

I don't really worry about child safety. The only child we have left in the house is our ten year old son. He doesn't bother with my swords, he has his own Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is something I've been thinking about for the last few months. I think I'll be getting the same local company who
made my liquor cabinet to make a display case for me. However, I'll probably be waiting until spring/summer before
doing so. The liquor cabinet wasn't cheap, and I have a few swords to pay for between now and then.
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have many of the same concerns with the small kids in the house. I recently moved over Thanksgiving and our new house has a "Sword Room" / Library. I am having several display cases (museum Style) built to house my nicer piece (no Vince Evans ones yet) and I will have the rest displayed open but mounted horizontally to keep them out of the reach of little hands. The whole room is off limits to the kids and the door is lockable. For financial security I do have an additional rider on my home owners specifically covering my swords. Currently most of my collection is at work hanging on the wall of my office, much to the dismay of my HR / Risk Manager who is sure OSHA would have something to say about them. Any way as soon as the display cases are done I will take them back home. I guess my biggest fear is family and friends messing with them when I am not there more than them being out right stolen.
Gary
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Search for Display Case         Reply with quote

Thanks for some of the ideas, guys.

I've also looked at "trophy cases" marketed to schools. Problem w/ those are flimsy aluminum construction and the ever ubiquitous glass. Moved onto business supply houses for in-store display cabinets, you know, the kind they have at Hallmark stores for "prescious Moments" figurines. Same thing.

The food display case idea intrigues me as they appear to be rather heavy duty.

What I have in mind, ultimately is almost a museum display kind of a set up. The sword hanging in its place, along with a little photographic and written information including the maker, in progress photos if any, and photo and/or description of the original weapon that inspired it. I have space in my living room/dining area about 48 inches wide, so space is adequate for something like that, as long as I keep my purchasing under control.

Patrick: Loved the story about your security precautions leading to your wife panicking when she woke up. Glad to you that your family is as vigilant about your swords as you are.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: These look promising         Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was trolling on Browning North America website and found these new products.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/safe...e_id=39638

The wall display case I already knew about and had previously rejected as too small, the the 2 new items appear to fit my criteria (as I laid out in the initial post of this thread) the best. A bit pricey, I know, but hey I know I gots to pay for quality.

What do you all think?
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: These look promising         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Hey all,

I was trolling on Browning North America website and found these new products.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/safe...e_id=39638

The wall display case I already knew about and had previously rejected as too small, the the 2 new items appear to fit my criteria (as I laid out in the initial post of this thread) the best. A bit pricey, I know, but hey I know I gots to pay for quality.

What do you all think?

Very nice but very expensive. Would the cases have to be altered to accommodate swords? I can't tell from the pics if a sword could fit in the spacers face on.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like it could work, but the cost of the case would be more than most of my swords!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: These look promising         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:

Very nice but very expensive. Would the cases have to be altered to accommodate swords? I can't tell from the pics if a sword could fit in the spacers face on.

Not sure if any alteration would be necessary. I am hoping that my local gunshops may have a store display model so that I can see for myself.

Yeah, the cost kinda bothers me, too, but the Octagon model seems to fit my criteria to a tee.

I'll post updates if and when I obtain more info.
Adam White

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck finding one of those on display. Gun stores rarely keep that kind of stuff in stock.

It sorta looks a lot like a nicer version of what Wal-mart uses in their gun section - have you ever looked at it - maybe the company that supplies Wal-mart does private sales?

"Ignorantque datos, ne quisquam serviat, enses"
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never had too much of a problem with people handling my swords. For the most part they are extrememly respective, and apon seeing my collection usually stare a lot more than they handle (with my permission and supervision). I guess it really depends on who is coming over. I did have an acquaintance who once asked, "Hey, is this sword sharp?" and ran his finger across the edge. I didn't even have a chance to stop him. However, after some exchange of words, I told him, "Would you do the same to a steak knife and ask if it were sharp? Or point a gun to your head and ask if it were loaded?" He admitted it was a stupid thing to do.

Just know your guests.. And be careful of the crazies.

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Just know your guests.. And be careful of the crazies. "

Or be like me and don't have any friends, then you don't have to worry about having people over Razz

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
"Just know your guests.. And be careful of the crazies. "

Or be like me and don't have any friends, then you don't have to worry about having people over Razz

Sounds like my method Razz

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Displaying Your Sword Collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic