Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > INVICTUS: Migration period ring sword from ArmArt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: INVICTUS: Migration period ring sword from ArmArt         Reply with quote

Recently ArmArt posted a custom sword they created. It's said to be based on a Central European ring sword like those found in Switzerland, the Czech Republic, and Great Britain.

Click photo for additional photos and details from the makers

It has a pattern-welded blade that looks, to my untrained eye for this period, quite authentic. The hilt has some detailed brass inlays and is blued.

I was hoping to start a discussion about these types of weapons, as I know very little about them or the era to which they belong.

General info from the makers:
Dating : Late Roman Empire - Migration era,

Stats from the makers:
Total length : 87 cm
Blade length : 69.5 cm
Blade width at guard : 46 mm
Blade thickness at guard : 6 mm
Grip length : 10 cm
Balance point : 11 cm
Weight : 1.16 kg

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it is certainly pretty. 6 mm thick at the guard? Must have quite a bit of distal taper. I always thought of swords of this period as fairly thin throughout (without any evidence). Interesting.

Gordon
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get Hugh Fuller involved in this discussion, he's the guy that owns that Roman riding sword from Patrick Barta and seems to be very knowledgeable about early period stuff.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was my impression that swords of this type reflected a Sarmatian influence and were spread throughout Europe by Sarmatians in the service of Rome (hence the ring pommel finds in Britain). The Romans briefly adopted this sort of pommel for general use themselves, but this faded after the second century. I have also been told that the ring form may have served a purpose in Mithraic ritual, in addition to providing a practical method of carrying the sword in lieu of a scabbard.
I do not believe that there is any connection between these "ring swords" and the vestigial rings found on some later germanic hilts, but I would be interested if anyone else has any insight into the matter.
I'm fascinated by the migration period, but I've very little knowledge on the matter compared with some of the folk who frequent myArmoury. I hope some of them will chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken about any of this, or at least provide some more information for us.
Patrick Bárta has a gorgeous ring-pommel sword on his site, which I suspect is the inspiration behind the ArmArt model - their recent additions, attractive as they are, do appear heavily influenced by Bárta's work.
Click the image to be taken to Bárta's site... be sure to check out his pages on pattern welding.

-Christopher Liebtag Miller
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.L. Miller wrote:
It was my impression that swords of this type reflected a Sarmatian influence and were spread throughout Europe by Sarmatians in the service of Rome (hence the ring pommel finds in Britain)...

-Christopher Liebtag Miller

Hi Christopher...

I also remember the ring pommel swords as being Sarmatian...

It is one of the few true pierced pommel swords. From a design point of view, the pierced pommels swords are probably rare because it defeats the purpose of the pommel by taking out most of its mass. This would push the center of gravity toward the point and make the sword feel sluggish.

Here is a picture of an original ring pommel sword auctioned by Czerny's...

Attachment: 18.79 KB
RomanRingSwCzy.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Sřren Niedziella

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

I was just browsing through "Waffensammlung Dreger" when I saw this ring sword and remember this thread. I have included a scan of the text (If any german speaking forumites can help translate?) descriptioin as well.

Sřren

Attachment: 106.49 KB
img003_003.jpg

Attachment: 23.3 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > INVICTUS: Migration period ring sword from ArmArt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic