Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My norman clothes.............. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: My norman clothes..............         Reply with quote

Here's one of the projects my wife and I have been working on.

It's all wool of course, which is very comfy in the 100+ temps we've been having lately Eek!

We're doing another program at the library tomorrow, fortunately the forecast is for a frigid 82 degrees!

(...and yes, I now realize I forgot to take my watch off!)

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You look awesome, my man !

Great job Mr. & Mrs. Kelly , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
George Hill

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My norman clothes..............         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

It's all wool of course, which is very comfy in the 100+ temps we've been having lately Eek!

That's the trouble with living in the south and trying to reenact a group that lived in a cold climate. I understand the Normans were in Italy for a while, I wonder what they wore.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very smart attire, Patrick. Other than the temps it actually looks extremely comfortable. What knife is that? Also, are those hose secured with points? (no need to show pictures Wink )
Constant and true.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good Patrick, is it 2legs or pants?
make a small sun watch for next time Big Grin

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I knew someone would ask about the legs. Big Grin

Those are an old pair of hose that I drug out of storage. Over the years I've worn them with everything from this norman kit to my old german landsknecht clothing. They're probably the oldest article of period clothing I have left, and I think they were the first things my wife ever made for me. Eventually they'll be replaced by proper braes and chausses. While we went with wool for this outift I think the next tunic will be made from linen, it's much more climate friendly for our area.

Jay,

The knife is my pattern welded seax by Vince evans: http://www.myArmoury.com/pat_dagg_ve_seax.html?3

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Looking rather sharp (no pun intended), well done to you & your wife.
Also good luck on your presentation tomorrow. Those type's of things are great fun and
another benefit of this hobby, that is, to share with others the things we hold near & dear.

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very nice outfit, Patrick. May all your neighbors of Saxon descent beware! Big Grin
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

Looks like a prosperous Norman: Now you need the ultimate accessory, your own stone tower keep on its' motte surrounded by a small village of rent paying serfs to pay for your horse, armour and custom swords.

George;

Yes the Normans in Italy invented sunglasses and sunscreen and used mopeds instead of horses, and probably preferred linen to wool !

Back from the twilight zone Razz Seriously: Really nice job, Patrick congratulations to your wife Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
Now you need the ultimate accessory, your own stone tower keep

Haven't I ever shared a photo of my house?

(The tower from The Warlord, one of my personal faves.)

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, you look the epitome of elegance. Every bit, the 11th(?) century man-about-town.
So, Kelly must be a Norman name, right?? Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve;

Don't know about Patrick but my ancestors who moved to Québec around 1700 came from Normandy and Brittany so I may have a few Vikings way back in the family tree and a few Celts also.

My beard on my chin and moustache used to be reddish while the rest of my hair and beard was light to medium brown: Now the beard is mostly white while the hairs on my head, that haven't quit, are mostly still their original colour.

Way, off topic, and ALL ABOUT ME: Sorry, just wonder if the red came from the Viking or Celt ancestors Razz Laughing Out Loud

P.S. Don't drink 9% alc / Vol. micro brewry beer still up at 7:00 a.m. and type ( Trois Pistoles beer from Unibrou, Ale on lees extra strong, Chambly Québec. ) ( Oh, and I'm not playing with anything sharp or loaded, except me at the moment. )

Sorry Patrick if very off topic, the beer is THAT GOOD, no idea if any of you guys can find it locally. Oh, end of off-topic digression. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: My norman clothes..............         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Here's one of the projects my wife and I have been working on.

We're doing another program at the library tomorrow, fortunately the forecast is for a frigid 82 degrees!

(...and yes, I now realize I forgot to take my watch off!)

looks good but a few things.

the trim might be a lil too early.
belt a tad too wide
hose should be single color and split chausis not hosen. cant tell from pics Wink
are there any gores in your tunic? for norman u usually have 4 gores or a split in the front and back.

you should sign on with the conroi fitzosbourne norman LH group. its small but theres tons of good stuff there. you look good and i think you'd fit right in

heres a pic of a friend of mine and me at hastings (maryland) last year (i'm on the horse)

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My norman clothes..............         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
the trim might be a lil too early.

It is really. I had intended to use it on a viking tunic for another interpretation I'm working on. That project is on hold, but I needed something to jazz this up a bit. Here's a close up of it, and yes I know the construction isn't accurate. It may not be accurate but it does look sharp in person!

I'm going to try to find some accurate tablet weaving for the next one.

Quote:
belt a tad too wide

Debatable(like a lot of things from these earlier periods) as the buckle and keeper are based on a surviving artifact.

Quote:
hose should be single color and split chausis not hosen. cant tell from pics Wink

Reference me earlier post...............
"Those are an old pair of hose that I drug out of storage. Over the years I've worn them with everything from this norman kit to my old german landsknecht clothing. They're probably the oldest article of period clothing I have left, and I think they were the first things my wife ever made for me. Eventually they'll be replaced by proper braes and chausses."

Quote:
are there any gores in your tunic? for norman u usually have 4 gores or a split in the front and back.

Yes, it's gored. I don't particularly like the split tunic, nor do I find a lot of evidence for it. This one was based primarily off of the Bayeaux Tapestry in terms of design. It's also been machine stiched. Eek! This one was a bit of a dry run for my wife and I since we haven't done any LH work for about 15 years. The next one is going be a bit more anal in the fine details of trim, stitching, etc.

Quote:
you should sign on with the conroi fitzosbourne norman LH group. its small but theres tons of good stuff there. you look good and i think you'd fit right in

Thanks! I did a google search and found nothing. Do they have a website?

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sat 13 Aug, 2005 8:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fitzosbern/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again Chuck!
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

how close are you to this event? http://www.vikingsna.org/tfbo/ the guys are great. might be worth your trip!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
how close are you to this event? http://www.vikingsna.org/tfbo/ the guys are great. might be worth your trip!

That's a bit of a trip for me, all the way across Kansas and into Missouri. Thatnks for the link just the same, it looks like an interesting group!

Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kit (especially the sword). Happy

A few things I've learned about Norman - period dress: The first thing to remember is what the ideal of the times was, and dress to accentuate that look, rather than modern fashion sense. The Norman "Manly look" for the century is small torso, big hips. The keys to this are the cut of the tunic and... your underwear.

For the tunic, you need a tight upper body fit and the gored lower "skirt". There should also be small triangular gores under the armpit (which might help prevent some of the bunching that seems to be occuring around your arms). Now for the special part to looking the period - the Braes; There are a few iconographic representrations of men in their braes, (usually laboring). Braies should be linen and baggy, tapering towards the ankle. They may also have a slit at the inner ankle. To really get the right look, braes should have a feature almost no-one does in their kit - a roll. Essentially, an extra foot or so of material at the top of the braes, above the waistline. This material is rolled back down when dressing and forms a donut around the waist. It is this roll gives you the manly look of the period.

Chausses should be up the the upper thigh, with a pointed top which is tied by a lace (point) to the braes) probably to the drawstring). They should be of bias-cut wool twill (for elasticity) and should be footed. (there are different paterns for feet).

At the calf, you have wool wingas (windings) wrapped around and probably secured by a small set of hooks.

Tunic necks should generally be keyhole cut or (less frequently) an offset keyhole, possibly also secured by a small hook.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Jeff!

Yes, there are gores under the arm pit, they're just not big enough! This tunic was the first piece of period clothing that my wife and I have made in almost 15 years. The gores were much too small on the first assembly and the circulation was being cut off to my biceps! After enlarging the gores we got it to this point and decided to leave it as is. This was definitely a learning experience and we took a lot of notes for the next attempt!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My norman clothes..............
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: