Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > One of the worst things to happen to a sword lover... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: One of the worst things to happen to a sword lover...         Reply with quote

So I went out on a trail ride this weekend and bam: got a free flight lesson Eek! ... somewhere between 20mph and a ditch things get blury. Question I dislocated my right shoulder, tore a ligament, and got lots of scrapes. From knee to head, my left side is shredded, but some how my right arm is the worst of it! WTF?! And as a starving student, I don't have insurance, so I got to relocate the shoulder on site and hoof it back the 4miles to civilization with th 50lb bike over the other shoulder. Luckly that one was just bleeding. Cool Now I'm self diagnosing from prior experiance and hopeing for the best. Furthermore, summer is here, and I'm hole'd up all alone. I have this huge stockpile of cutting mediums, but now I don't have the ability to use my right arm for 3+ weeks. Sad

Poopy.

Anyone here have any sugestions on treatment? I know that its the ligament on my back/shouler plate area. No brusing just pain and cold flashes. I'm going w/ the japanese/danish 90degree angle method to help the back ligament heal properly.
I was really looking forward to a good cutting party too. I must have some 30+ bottles... Big Grin

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GEEEEEEZ: OUCH, sorry about that !

What do you mean by self medicating !??? I hope your'e not just ignoring it and hoping the problem will just go away !

I can uderstand the money, " not having any " , would be a concern ! And it may get better by itself, but you shouldn't take a chance that fixable problem NOW could become a lifetime of problems if it doesn't heal properly.

At least have it professionally evaluated. You might be able to handle your own re-ab program but just be sure you are not setting yourself up to permanent damage if not treated properly.

I hope that X-ray on your post means that you at least got it looked at.

Even with all its' flaws I am glad that we have medicare up here in Canada: We may have overlong waiting times for elective stuff, but emergencies are taken care of right away. At least the cost, up here, is not a factor deciding to get proper attention.
( Naturally we also " ENJOY " taxes that take over 50% of our gross income Sad )

Best wishes getting better, and don't make it worse trying to rush the healing process.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Cry Eek!
Get thee to a doctor. Immediately! Exclamation

Seriously Alex, give yourself lots of TLC and you'll be back to cutting in no time.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had this problem 10 years ago, and had surgury on the front tendon eventually. But There isn't much that can be done that I can't do myself. Isolate, ice, watch for numbness and swelling. ... thats what a doc would say. I had no choice but to relocate it in the field, and xrays will only confirm what the symptoms show me. Now its just take it easy and hope for the best.

I did pick up a student healthcare pamphlet today at class, so I'll be looking into coverage asap. I'd love to have it looked at professionally, but there are ~no~ funds for it,and I'm pretty sure I'm on the right path to treatment. its not like I could afford any surgury anways. Confused
Ii figured a pic was worth 1K words, thats why I linked that x-ray... it's not mine. Wink
typeing left handed blows too Razz

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This isn't the proper place to seek medical treatment. If anyone has any suggestions please send them via PM or e-mail. We don't need the vicarious liability.

I hope you mend well Alex.

Thanks.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, and, sorry, I really wasn't looking at it from that angle. Your absolutly right though.
I was sharing more or less how the inability to heft a sword was one of the first things to cross my mind; I figured it just goes to show how much something runs in your blood. Big Grin
I figured the feeling would be understood best here. Wink
But, yea, no worries, just amusement at where my priorities layed.
I can just see a doctors face, "don't worry, you'll be throwing a fast ball in no time..."
and me, "screw the baseball, how long till I can heft a broadsword?!?" Laughing Out Loud

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went through similiar feelings several years ago when I smashed my right wrist. For several months I wondered if all of these sharp pointy things were now just wall decoration. That wasn't a pleasant feeling. Good luck with the healing process. I used exercising with a sword as part of my physical rehab. My therapst liked the idea and it worked out pretty well.
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may want to look into local free clinics. I know that hospitals in our area will treat people who cannot afford to pay, but this doesn't mean that they won't charge them. There are clinics, however that will operate on a sliding scale.

If you don't have your shoulder looked at, you may end up with something far worse (and much more expensive) down the road. You only have two shoulders, so you'd be wise to take good care of them. Wink

If you apply for health insurance now, be sure to check if the policy has a pre-existing clause on it. If it does, your insurance company will look back anywhere from 6-18 months and will refuse to cover any conditions, like your shoulder for example, for another 6-18 months.

This is a good example of why it is of the utmost importance to have healthcare insurance. Even poor insurance is better than none. With the cost of healthcare today, it's very easy to get financially wiped out from a few days in the hospital.

Good luck to you -

David (who has worked for Blue Cross / Blue Shield for the past 9 1/2 years)

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hope you heal soon. And go and see a doctor !!!

This is seriously off-topic but it's amazing to see this discussion amongst you US guys about whether or not a person can afford to seek medical help for a serious injury. Here in the UK we complain about the National Health System and the delays, but the question of whether help was available at no cost would never arise. It's a given. Those working pay for those not working or young. There are gripes about providing for those who do not try to contribute to the social security system but there would never be a question of whether you could get medical treatment or surgery free. Amazing.

Nathan/Patrick - yes I know - seriously not to do with arms & armour and give due apologies for that, but also just a general social comment not in any way attracting vicarious liability. Simply was fascinated by the scenario.

Daniel
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A little ductape; some superglue and string, and you'll be good as new Wink

Seriously though, ouch! I think the most painful thing I've gone through was a mountain bike plowing over my right kneecap when I got stuck on an uphill (back in the day...), and the guy behind me mowed right over it when I stopped. It took a few weeks to walk that off. knees were not made to bend backwards! I'm just lucky it didn't break or anything; meh. You'll be cutting again soon enough. Big Grin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:

This is seriously off-topic but it's amazing to see this discussion amongst you US guys about whether or not a person can afford to seek medical help for a serious injury. Here in the UK we complain about the National Health System and the delays, but the question of whether help was available at no cost would never arise. It's a given. Those working pay for those not working or young. There are gripes about providing for those who do not try to contribute to the social security system but there would never be a question of whether you could get medical treatment or surgery free. Amazing.

Nathan/Patrick - yes I know - seriously not to do with arms & armour and give due apologies for that, but also just a general social comment not in any way attracting vicarious liability. Simply was fascinated by the scenario.

Daniel

These are the kinds of things that make me a bigger and bigger believer in nationalized health care. An unbelievably large chunk of my monthly paycheck goes to health insurance. I don't need it that often, but without it I would be bankrupted by a serious injury like the one I already mentioned. Proper medical care is becoming the provence of the rich in this country.

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...These are the kinds of things that make me a bigger and bigger believer in nationalized health care....I don't need it that often, but without it I would be bankrupted by a serious injury like the one I already mentioned. Proper medical care is becoming the provence of the rich in this country.

Amen, brother. I don't think that a nationalized system as in Canada or the UK is necessarily the right approach, but we need a system that assures that all people can get high quality, affordably priced, timely medical care.

Alex - take care of yourself, man. I took a bad fall while skiing (snow), almost 40 years ago. And even with good medical treatment for a year afterwards (no surgery, though), my shoulders still give me trouble.
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with David, you should go to a free clinic to get it taken care of right away. And they will work with you financially too. It could get seriously worse and then it would be even worse off for you financially as well as physically. I think you should also look into student medical insurance, any little helps. Go to your school's clinic and ask what options are available. I'm sure they can come up with something.
To relieve some pain temporarily you might want to go into a pool and lay around. They say water works wonders. I believe it too since my brother has spinal chord injuries from his car. He gets in the pool at home and he says he does feel pain relief (temporarily of course). He says any little bit helps BUT your best bet is to stay off any physical activity for a while.
I hope you get better real soon.

Regards,
Helen M.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: We already Have one!         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Daniel Parry wrote:

Daniel

These are the kinds of things that make me a bigger and bigger believer in nationalized health care. An unbelievably large chunk of my monthly paycheck goes to health insurance. I don't need it that often, but without it I would be bankrupted by a serious injury like the one I already mentioned. Proper medical care is becoming the provence of the rich in this country.

We already have a national health care system in the US; it's called medicaid. Unfortunately it's only for the poor/single mothers. That health insureance is BETTER than the one I pay for. I would gladly give my premiums to Medicaid to have a medical card. There isn't a single hospital in the US that will not take it. As it is not, I have to shop for dictors on my PPO and precertify medical procedures with my insurance to see if that will pay. I recently was diagonsed with 2 bulging disks. I went to a doctor's office and he suggested VAX-D, a non surgical method fo dealing with this. Now my insurance company BlueCross/Blue Sheild would have pain $45,000 or more for a surgery that has a maximum 50% success rate. But they will not pay but half of this $4,000 procedure. So I had to cough up the other half. If I offend anyone with this statement I realy don;t care, but medicine in the US is about $$ plain and simple. We have great care, but the doctors have insulated themselves from lawyers by forming corporations and may of them don;t even know what they charge for an office visit. Something needs to be fixed. Sorry for the rant, Joel.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > One of the worst things to happen to a sword lover...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic