Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cancelled Brecia order... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Cancelled Brecia order...         Reply with quote

Darn those Albion folks! As you some of you guys are probably aware I had a Brecia on order since the Blade Show, in fact I'd already paid the balance of the payment. However I made the mistake of looking at Albion's site again... and again... and again... It was a hard decision but I finally decided to move my money from the Brecia pot to the Knecht pot. Of course that means it will be that much harder waiting for the Knecht to show up in the steel as it were but... of course I guess there's also the distinct possibility that Albion will introduce something else that I will decide I just absolutely can't live without...

Anyone else been known to bump money around to place to place like this? Wouldn't it be easier if we could just buy them all? Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knecht you say? Wise choise. Wink I have a Knecht on order. Razz
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you've just changed your order from a sword that's at least in production to a sword that doesn't even exist, except in concept form, with a release date that's anyone's best guess. If you're impatient I don't think that's a way to solve the problem.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the rough prototype blade for the Knecht do exist. T'is just a matter of time. Big Grin
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Well, you've just changed your order from a sword that's at least in production to a sword that doesn't even exist, except in concept form, with a release date that's anyone's best guess. If you're impatient I don't think that's a way to solve the problem.

No, that wasn't it at all. It was more along the lines of trying to allocate scarce resources to what I liked the most. The problem comes from trying to figure out what I like the most. Happy I don't typically have that sort of problem, I'm usually pretty decisive but Albion sometimes makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

It's a testament to their vision really...

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cancelled Brecia order...         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Of course that means it will be that much harder waiting for the Knecht to show up in the steel as it were but... of course I guess there's also the distinct possibility that Albion will introduce something else that I will decide I just absolutely can't live without...

Anyone else been known to bump money around to place to place like this? Wouldn't it be easier if we could just buy them all? Happy

I'm in a bit of a different spot. I'm extremely fortunate in that I am looking at acquiring a piece a month, give or take. Even with this, yes, I've done a bit of the shuffling of funds. It's even worse when you have a credit balance as opposed to a deficit... makes impulses almost impossible to resist. I was trying to focus solely on paying out the Svante, but then came the Hersir. Refocus, and then the Berserkr literally dropped into my life... Soon, the new XVa's will enter production. Temptation...

I'm trying to forget about the Munich. Once it gets closer, I'll remember I have one on order, and will begin to look to gather funds for it. I couldn't personally live with having a piece paid in full, but no real guess as to when it might be around. I'd go nuts... I'd have it "paid in full" after every new "Oh my GOD!!!" that came around.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aww, Russ .... you should have bumped your money on up to a Chieftan!
That way the pressure builds on them babies !

"Drive thru the park, Bitterman .... you know how I luv the park " ! ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:

Big Grin Shut up you aren't helping at all... Big Grin

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:

Big Grin Shut up you aren't helping at all... Big Grin

I'm sorry, Russ, I had all these potential claymore customers squaking in my ears and asking my opinion on Albions design ! ......
What did you say now ?

;-) Mac

Attachment: 18.48 KB
Chieftain.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Super powers... weakening...
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

All is lost: Double mortgage the house, borrow money from loan sharks, sell a kidney, rob a convenience store, pan for gold at the closest stream, buy lottery ticket, go to Los Vegas with all your savings : If any of this sounds good your'e in trouble Razz

But seriously, changing your mind is o.k. if it's o.k. with the supplier and they can easily make " YOUR " sword someone
elses ! ( How's that for psychological warfare Evil Razz Laughing Out Loud )

Sorry! I'm just being mean Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
But seriously, changing your mind is o.k. if it's o.k. with the supplier and they can easily make " YOUR " sword someone elses ! ( How's that for psychological warfare Evil Razz Laughing Out Loud )

This works to a point... once a piece is in production, or materials purchased, or if there's planning or loads of administrative burden, it really gets hard to be accomodating.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

If you keep doing it over and over again with the same supplier it might become obnoxious. But with a regular repeat customer an occasional change of mind might not upset the supplier ? And as you mentioned if no extra costs are caused and the order can be passed along to the next client in the cue no great harm is done.

If it's a custom order that might be hard for the maker to find a new buyer for and work has already been started or money spent then NO changing of mind allowed Sad :loll:

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
If you keep doing it over and over again with the same supplier it might become obnoxious. But with a regular repeat customer an occasional change of mind might not upset the supplier ? And as you mentioned if no extra costs are caused and the order can be passed along to the next client in the cue no great harm is done.

Yup, I agree. And more often than not, this isn't an issue of great concern. We all change our minds - I'm definitely one for that. For the customized production market or for catalog items, it's really pretty simple - there's usually a queue or there will be an interest for these. You must accept, though, that you may totally change your place in the queue though... for example, I did change an order for a SL bastard sword to a Vinland a couple of days after placing the order. Mike was more than helpful to make this happen. Parts had not come back from the foundry yet, and I was something like 12 back in the queue for the SL - estimate was something like 2-3 months. The Vinland, on the other hand, had parts in, and a blade was either finished or soon to be. I had it in hand in less than 2 weeks. This could have been the other way around - I may have stuck myself at the end of the line again, and had a longer wait. Something we need to accept ahead of time... Where an issue comes up is the 4th or 5th change on an order, or if it happens every time you place an order, or if there's a bunch of grief because the wait just got a little (or a lot) longer.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
If it's a custom order that might be hard for the maker to find a new buyer for and work has already been started or money spent then NO changing of mind allowed.

As a general rule, I won't put you in the queue until I have an agreed-upon deposit, and won't start work until I have a non-refundable 50% down. This covers materials, and will hold me until I can find another buyer. Nothing ships until paid. Things come up, and I do have an open mind... I can be flexible and sympathetic, but once a bridge is burned, it's pretty hard to build another one. I will listen to thoughts and requests along the way, and will modify if I can, but once a threshold is crossed, it's crossed. For example, dye color is easy to change while it's in the bottle. Once leather's dyed, it's done.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

100% agreement here: i will add that after a point of no return it becomes a question of honouring one's commitments and being happy getting the original order. The new idea, if worth it, should just become the next project or purchase Big Grin

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Just so you all don't think I'm turning into the obnoxious customer type (yes I'm totally obnoxious in various other ways) I asked Mike right up front if the Brecia was already built. If he would have said yes, I'd have not said another word about it. However he said it wasn't built, and it took him all of 30 seconds to change the category for my current funds so I figure it was probably okay. After all I've been on the receiving end of this sort of thing too... Happy
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cancelled Brecia order...         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I'm in a bit of a different spot. I'm extremely fortunate in that I am looking at acquiring a piece a month, give or take.

Aaron,

I'm looking at one sword purchase a year, if that. I want a job like yours! Is there any chance they'd be interested in hiring a Social Psychologist / part-time University Professor? Wink

David

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

Oh, just noticed the smilly face in your messege ! Surprised Just wanted to assure you, or others who might think so, that the " obnoxious " client comment was part of general discussion and not aimed at what you described as an occasional thing.

To me " obnoxious " is when not being able to make up your mind or changing it constantly becomes a sickness needing therapy. Razz

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No shame in changing your order to something you like better, even if you have to wait longer for it. For instance, I recently had a Poitiers on order since February and changed it to a Fiore about a month ago. Neither sword is in production yet, but I just fell for the sketch of the Fiore. As they say, a "picture is worth a thousand words."
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know how Russ feels. I am tempted to buy a different sword every time I look at Albion's site. When the NextGens first hit I wanted a Gotland. Later the Regent struck my fancy. I'm telling myself to hold out for the Kingmaker, but seeing the Berserkr in the steel is making that difficult. I usually only save up enough money on the side to afford one sword a year, and sometimes that money goes to other toys like a new computer so these decisions are hard for me.
"The truth shall make ye fret."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cancelled Brecia order...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: