Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the Louisiana Round Table Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Pics from the Louisiana Round Table         Reply with quote

Well we made the trip out to Aaron's today and had a wonderful time. He is a gracious host and the group was not over large, but they were interesting and exciting. These are preliminary pics amd I have more to follow. I want to personally thank Albion for providing a fine selection of swords for all to see and use. I did not cut today as I have been having some flareups of my bulging disks. With Aaron's personal collection there was a HUGE number of Albion swords present. I also brought a few from my personal collection and Aaron became the fist person ever to cut with the Kevin Cashen Anduril sword I have been having for 3 years now LOL So here are a few to get everyone started. Enjoy.

Joel

Attachment: 66.26 KB
Aaronsrack.jpg
Aarons' personal Albion collection.

Attachment: 70.01 KB
albiontable.jpg
The Albion table.

Attachment: 58.44 KB
aaronsafetyinstr.jpg
Aaron gives rules and safety instrusctions fro those who had not cut before.

Attachment: 83.35 KB
aaroninspectsadnuril.jpg
Aaron inspects the Kevin Cashen Andirul before making the fist cut with it.

Attachment: 99.25 KB
aaronandurilcut.jpg
Aaron makes the first cut with Anduril! Notice the name on the bottle..ironic isn't it?!

Attachment: 53.21 KB
pommeldetail2.jpg
Got all you Vikings salivating?
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: OK more pics         Reply with quote

I have a few more pics of the cutting session. There were some there who had never cut before. These guys were part of a WMA group (with the exception of one) and though they have been sparring quite a bit, they realized the value of cutting. There is no substitute for getting your edge aligned and making a good cut. A variety of swords were used, though everyone seemed to pick out their favorite before the day was over. For those of you who haven't done cutting practice with a sharp, you will find that it's difficult to be consistent at first. There were some valuable lessons learned by all on this hot Louisiana day. Let me say also that not every sword was used. There was just not enough time and energy to go through every single one, though anyone was free to choose any sword they wanted. I think the cutting surprise of the group was the Brescia Spadona. Though one would think this Type XVIa was primarily a thrusting sword, it cut like the devil. I must admit I had not the opportunity to handle most of the swords present before the roundtable so there were some surprises for me too.

The Laird: I would never have ordered this sword because the hilt type just doen't turn me on. However, that all changed dramatically the second I picked it up. What a feel I got from this sword! For me this was the day's biggest surprise.

The Ritter: I think this may be Albion's most overlooked sword. It looks way better in the real than it does in photos. It had beautiful balance and it's mass distribution just screams "CUT SOMETHING!" And cut it does. The poor pool noodles needed only a flick of the wrist to sever them.

The Soligen : What a beautifully complicated sword. I say that because looking at it you tend to say "It's a simple design." However, there is so much more going on there. The flare of the blade towards the cross; the large pommel that is perfectly counterbalalnced by the subtle distal taper of the blade. If I had to choose one single-handed sword I think this oen would be it. Visually, it looks smaller than the photos make it out to be, but when you pick it up it feels like twice the sword; and I don't mean weight here. That's why I call this sword complicated, because of it's juxtaposed qualities.

Any Viking Sword: IT became painfully obvious to me today that the small handles on the viking swords would require much training for my large mits. Try as I might, I just could not get the feel of how the proper grip should be used. Oh I must exclude the Gaddhjalt. It had a proper grip for us Europeans Big Grin

Those are my initial impressions of the swords and the day. I am sure we will add to them as the thread goes along. UNtil then...more pics.

Joel

P.S. I didn;t put anyone's name down except Aaron because his is the only one I am sure of LOL

Attachment: 95.34 KB
DSCN3649sm.jpg
Sometimes the cuts went well!

Attachment: 92.8 KB
DSCN3667sm.jpg
Sometimes not so well.

Attachment: 111.28 KB
DSCN3672sm.jpg
The Ritter in action!

Attachment: 93.8 KB
DSCN3665sm.jpg
The Laird making a sweet cut.

Attachment: 90.05 KB
DSCN3677sm.jpg
Everyone, including Aaron, found the A&A English 2-hander a lot of sword to handle!

Last edited by Joel Whitmore on Sun 31 Jul, 2005 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics! Thanks Joel! It's times like this that the Northeast can seem a bit lonely...

-Christopher Liebtag Miller
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Joel, for a lot of things here. First, for making the trek - it was great to meet you - been looking forward to that for a good while now! I also appreciate your kind words, and am really glad you had a good time. It was definitely a pleasure to host this good bunch of folks! Anduril is a sweet piece, and it was an honor to run it through it's paces, if but briefly. Oh, and HUGE thanks for the pics. First rate, man!

Now, get that back right... we'll have to do this again sometime soon, and I hated to see you sidelined!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Group Photo         Reply with quote

OK witheh help of PhotoShop I was able to put everyone in one pic. Don't look two closely or you'll see two people holding the same sword ;-) Aaron will have to put names in as I am still not sure.

Joel
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel;

Your'e not the only one who has trouble with names: If I don't repeat it 10 times in my head when I'm first introduced it goes in one ear and out the other " POUF ....... GONE ", and that is just for one person, introduce me to a group at the same time and I'm not even hearing the second name Eek! Laughing Out Loud

It's not as bad on the forum where I see the same names over and over again, but at times it's difficult to remember exactly with whom it was I was having a specific discussion with some weeks earlier. Blush Laughing Out Loud

Aaron;

As I have an A & A English double hander any handling impressions about it would be appreciated: Low ceiling postage stamp sized backyard overgrown with shrubbery ! ( There's a Monthy Python joke about shrubbery I vaguely remember !? )

So I can sort of handle it slowly but a good swing mean decapitated lamps or grooves in the ceiling Razz Laughing Out Loud

Any attempts at one handed cuts ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: A&A English Two Hander and cutting         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Joel;

Aaron;

As I have an A & A English double hander any handling impressions about it would be appreciated: Low ceiling postage stamp sized backyard overgrown with shrubbery ! ( There's a Monthy Python joke about shrubbery I vaguely remember !? )

So I can sort of handle it slowly but a good swing mean decapitated lamps or grooves in the ceiling Razz Laughing Out Loud

Any attempts at one handed cuts ?

Jean I'll chime in here. The A&A is actually mine and I have cut with it. What I have found is in order to make the clean,precise cuts on the bottles and noodles, you have to be very precise during the swing. This is not an easy thing to do with a blade of this size. If you watch someone closely in the swing, you will notice that once the sword begins going forwards, any downward displacement of the tip to correct the swing will result in the blade flexing. All swords do this to some degree, but with the big ones like this, the flex is more pronounced. So pronouonced in fact that it can throw off your blade alignment. In this regard I think 2-handers are more unforgiving against these kinds of targets. However, one could argue that big swords like these were not meant for precise cuts such as those demonstrated in our cutting tests. Indeed you can see the edge geometry is different from the Albion single-handed swords and hand-and-a-half swords. I really believe that had Aaron had more practice, he would have mastered cutting these targets nearly as cleanly as the other swords did. Just my impressions. Love to hear what Aaron felt.

Joel

Last edited by Joel Whitmore on Sun 31 Jul, 2005 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll echo what Joel said regarding the A&A 2-hander - I find his assessment right on. It's quite different than anything else I have ever handled - a first-time experience for me. Given some time and experience, I think I could have become accustomed to the different dynamics of such a large piece. It's not used in the same manner as the other pieces. As such, it was very awkward for me to deal with - the momentum is pretty amazing. I didn't even consider attempting one-handed use - there's no way I could have managed it at speed. As with any piece, putting it through it's paces in a nice open space is the best way to understand it's handling characteristics. I think it's even greater with this one. Slow, light movements won't do...
-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed there's a Berserkr in your personal collection now Aaron. Nice Viking move, that. Big Grin
Is that permanent?
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Group Photo         Reply with quote

I have reached my max up load limit for pics. I can't upload the group photo.

JOel
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Group Photo         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
I have reached my max up load limit for pics. I can't upload the group photo.

If you don't mind, Joel... email the pics to me and I'll house them.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
I noticed there's a Berserkr in your personal collection now Aaron. Nice Viking move, that. Big Grin
Is that permanent?

Good eye, Anton!

Yeah, it's permanent.

Svante's next, I think. Cool

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics guys!

Joel, i love that you point out the Ritter.

I bought this sword back when it came out for my grandfather, That threads around here somewhere....... but i was really impressed with it as well. Its a true Gem.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the group photo Joel kindly took and sent. Thanks, brother!

Jeanry, Margie, Joel, Wade, Aaron, Skip, Chris, John.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are some great pics! Looks like you guys had a good time. Joel, you're absolutely right about the Ritter. I saw one at Chad's a few months ago and was awe-struck! It cut just as good -- in some cases better -- than some of the others.
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Yeah, it's permanent.

Nice & congrats. Think I want one too. Hersir is great too, but I don't want to spend that much on a Viking sword(okay I actually DO, but ermm.... I don't. Whatever. Hehe).
I'm getting really fed up with the growing list of must-have swords and armor and I think I'll dedicate all the money I make with one or two future projects to solving that problem, and skip stupid luxuries like vacations etc. Mad
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Those are some great pics! Looks like you guys had a good time. Joel, you're absolutely right about the Ritter. I saw one at Chad's a few months ago and was awe-struck! It cut just as good -- in some cases better -- than some of the others.

Thanks! We really did. That Ritter is a true sleeper. I'm glad to see it getting it's just desserts here - a bit of recognition I think it needs.

The guy cutting with the Ritter in the pics is my room mate John. He has constant access to my whole collection, and handles and cuts with increasing interest and frequency. While I will often grab my Brescia, he'll invariably grab the Ritter. Lately, I have been grabbing it as well if I want a 1-hander to play with.

Another really surprising cutter was the Constable. For such a poker, that thing cuts like a demon! That's headed to Chad's here for next weekend. No wonder you guys brag on the Merc so much! Same Type, first time I got to play seriously with one of these three.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron, now I understand why you said there are so many books on your 'eventually'' list ; because your financial plan is clearly to build up an arsenal large enough to equip a small medieval war! Your house is going to look like the Royal Armouries soon. Next project should be a new sword rack because your current one looks full of tenants.

Daniel
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
Aaron, now I understand why you said there are so many books on your 'eventually'' list ; because your financial plan is clearly to build up an arsenal large enough to equip a small medieval war! Your house is going to look like the Royal Armouries soon.

I laughed a bit when I first read this, then it hit me what you really said. Then it got absolutely hillarious. Not a small army, a whole bloody war!

You may not be far from the truth, though, my friend! If I stay the course with my current plan, I will have a fair representation of European edged weapons from the seax through the rapier. My itch for Dark Ages pieces just got scratched very nicely with the addition of the Hersir and the Berserkr. I'm satisfied with that (for now) and will probably be slingshotting to the other end of the spectrum. The Svante is getting my attention unless something else just can't be ignored, and then it may well be time for a rapier. We'll have to see, though... Ultimately, it looks like about 50 swords, with some additional fill-in pieces such as polearms, maces, a longbow crossbow, etc. Oh, and armour... let's not leave that out. So yeah... when I take over the world... Razz

Daniel Parry wrote:
Next project should be a new sword rack because your current one looks full of tenants.

This is a severe issue. I have one vacancy, actually - the Gaddhjalt on the very bottom isn't mine (yet). I already have the Svante and Munich on order, though... also some "lesser" pieces currently slumming in the closet. Though I am not certain the closet pieces will ever make it back on display, I still am a bit short on space. The issue with this "highrise" display is that it takes up a full 4 feet of wall space. I may have to go with a "condo" arrangement - a vertical rack where I can put probably twice that many pieces in the same space. It's not as visually interesting, though... sad that the pieces couldn't be fully appreciated. Ultimately, though, the plan is for a full room in the house to be dedicated to it, and they can be put in a more museum-like display - still accessible, but more aesthetically pleasing. It won't happen in this house, though...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Think I want one too. Hersir is great too, but I don't want to spend that much on a Viking sword(okay I actually DO, but ermm.... I don't. Whatever. Hehe).
I'm getting really fed up with the growing list of must-have swords and armor and I think I'll dedicate all the money I make with one or two future projects to solving that problem, and skip stupid luxuries like vacations etc. Mad

The Hersir and the Berserkr are like North and South on a magnet. Both very strong pieces, but exact opposites. The Hersir is quiet, subdued. It's beauty lies in smooth, simple nature. Looking closely, though, it's extremely complex. The Berserkr, on the other hand, is angular, loud, and just downright brutish. They are very, very different pieces. Both are beautiful, both deadly. I'm quite fortunate to have both. I have a feeling that Gaddhjalt will be on the short list... hate to have to send it back. (it was part of the RT kit - nothing wrong with it!)

The issue of the wants does pretty much suck. I did some "Windows shopping" (that's drooling over pieces via the internet on a non-mac Wink ) and came up with easily some $75k worth of pieces I'd love to have. It's wholely unreasonable... at least in the foreseeable future.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the Louisiana Round Table
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: