Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Most expensive replica in your collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

What is the price range of your most expensive non-antique sword?
$100 - $250
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
$250 - $500
18%
 18%  [ 14 ]
$500 - $750
25%
 25%  [ 20 ]
$1000 - $1250
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
$1250 - $1500
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
$1500 - $2000
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
$2000 and above
18%
 18%  [ 14 ]
$750 - $1000
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 77

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Most expensive replica in your collection         Reply with quote

What price range does your most expensive non-antique sword fall into?

Are you happy with the piece?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most expensive piece cost $1000.00. I'm extremely happy with it and feel that it was a bargain at that price.

In a little over a month I will be purchasing a sword for $3000.00. This will be, to date, the most I will have spent on a sword. Hopefully, I will also consider it money well spent.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm extremely happy with my high-priced pieces and also feel they were well worth the price paid.

While it's true that a $1500 isn't necessarily twice the sword of a $750 sword, it's also true that it's a matter of diminishing returns. Like any item, be it audio equipment, furniture, or swords, incremental improvements of quality at the higher end often results in large increases in price... and worth every penny.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Philip Lautin Jackson

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, i am very happy with it.. (CF/Atrim Ranger) albeit, I msut admit that I can but look forward gleefully to the point in time where I am economically standing up enough to be able to buy swords in the 1000$+ range, seeing as, as far as I've seen and heard, they are woerth every penny, well, from the right smith they are..

-Philip

Tiocfaidh ar la
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Oops         Reply with quote

I just realized that I left out the $750-$1000 range. Sorry.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most expensive piece to date cost less then 700 dollars. I have been pleased with my production pieces despite that however. I do have something a trifle more expensive coming and am very much interested to see if it is worth the extra expense.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my most expensive historical blade was $450, i only have a couple historical arms and most of the rest while looking it have fantasy/modern features. i guess i'm happy with it but i'm saving for a better piece based on an actual example (a type X with brazil nut pommel and straight latter period nearly norman cross guard).

while most know me to lean to fantasy stuff in the euro sword style world i still desire a really good quality historical blade (in due time i will own a replica of the sutton hoo sword, but that is a long long way off Razz).

My 2 cents...Cool
Robert.B

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most expensive piece was $3000. Some people here know which one that is. I thought it was worth the money.

Check that, I don't think it's worth $3000. It's worth more, or at least Vince should have charged more, but that's another story. Happy
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: My most expensive....         Reply with quote

Is my ArmArt S13 rapier, left handed..

I paid $400.00 for it, but the current ArmArt price is $690.00, and of course the Museum Store isn't taking custom orders for ArmArt at this time.. My guess is that its a one of a kind now.

Oh. If the person who bought the dagger, in the same classifieds sale reads this, please contact me - I'd like to give you my contact info in case you ever want to sell the dagger - I'd like first dibs on it.

I really like the weapon, though its a little short bladed. I'm just about finished with a scabbard for it. I think it'd probably be worth the $690.00 they charge now..

otherwise, my Golden Oriole is next, and its not half the sword the ArmArt is.

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My most expensive....         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
I really like the weapon, though its a little short bladed. I'm just about finished with a scabbard for it.

Can you supply stats/measurements? Now you have me curious about it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David White

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Well this is mine.         Reply with quote

I have to add an attachment. I've owned several very nice AT's that I sold for this Sterling S hilt by Erik Stevenson
at Phoenix Metal Creations. Was it worth the money.....oh yeah.

My next big purchase, a LaTene pattern.

dave

Attachment: 11.39 KB
side01_.jpg

Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My most expensive....         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Chris Holzman wrote:
I really like the weapon, though its a little short bladed. I'm just about finished with a scabbard for it.

Can you supply stats/measurements? Now you have me curious about it.

Nathan,

I can provide *some* measurements, as well as some links to pics of the weapon.
Blade Length: 33.5" from the tip to where it becomes ricasso
Ricasso: 2"
Blade Thickness at hilt: approx 1/4"
Blade Thickness at tip: signiicantly less (considerable distal taper, but no micrometers handy)
Blade Width at hilt: approx: 3/4"
Blade Width where it tapers into the point : approx 1/2" (maybe a smidge less
quillons from tip to tip: 8"
Grip length: 3" plus 1.5" pommel total of about 4.5"
Width of the cage: about 5"

Point of Balance: about 2.5" ahead of where the ricasso ends...
Center of percussion: beats me.

Weight: somewhere between 2 and 3 lbs.. I haven't weighed it on anything sophisticated. its not as fast a blade as one might think, but it is faster than the CAS-I pappenheimer.

It is nice and sharp, and cuts rather well, believe it or not. 5" sq 1/8" thick cardboard boxes cut nicely, in the range of 4 to 5 inches of penetration, for 6 or 7 inches before it runs out of cut.. (i'm cutting them so that the blade impacts perpendicular to the corner of the box, IE, | to < giving the most resistance... tip cuts are nice, COP cuts are ok. Its a slow cutter though. definitely not balanced for it - BUT if I were to miss with a thrust, I'd not hesitate to grab a piece of face, throat, or hand, on the way to a parry or evasion, if I were close to the target to start with..

http://members.cox.net/moniteur/Rapier%20pic1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/moniteur/Rapier%20pic2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/moniteur/Rapier%20pic3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/moniteur/Rapier%20pic4.jpg
http://members.cox.net/moniteur/Rapier%20pic5.jpg

Anything else I can do for ya?

EDIT: Nathan, I weighed the weapon today - it's 2lbs 13oz.

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS

Last edited by Chris Holzman on Wed 17 Sep, 2003 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya know... its weird, the 1250-2000$ range seems under represented.. I wonder what it says about that price point.. Too cheap for custom, too expensive for production?

also, Nathan, was that the info you were wanting reference the S13?

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:
Ya know... its weird, the 1250-2000$ range seems under represented.. I wonder what it says about that price point.. Too cheap for custom, too expensive for production?

Not sure what to think of that price range (except that it is beyond my budget for the forseeable future Sad ) I would hasten to mention that there are a lot of moderately priced custom projects that come well below this amount. You can get some custom to semi custom work done for a very good price, really, with smiths like Glen Parrell, Al Massey, etc. So I doubt that the price range is too cheap for custom. I would probably find it to be stretching it into the too expensive for production stuff, in general. In rare cases I'd think the price justified, but it is really getting into custom price ranges and I'd most likely prefer, personally, to go custom if such a price is going to be paid. But, on that mileage will vary, I'm sure.

For me, the highest price I've paid is in the 675 dollar range for a Viking/saxon type sword from Glen Parrell, which I was happy to become the owner of. I'd consider greater expenditures if I could only afford them, but can't really. Right now I'm lucky if I can consider anything over 400 and that is pushing it.
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Chris Holzman wrote:

Not sure what to think of that price range (except that it is beyond my budget for the forseeable future Sad ) I would hasten to mention that there are a lot of moderately priced custom projects that come well below this amount. You can get some custom to semi custom work done for a very good price, really, with smiths like Glen Parrell, Al Massey, etc. So I doubt that the price range is too cheap for custom. I would probably find it to be stretching it into the too expensive for production stuff, in general. In rare cases I'd think the price justified, but it is really getting into custom price ranges and I'd most likely prefer, personally, to go custom if such a price is going to be paid. But, on that mileage will vary, I'm sure.

For me, the highest price I've paid is in the 675 dollar range for a Viking/saxon type sword from Glen Parrell, which I was happy to become the owner of. I'd consider greater expenditures if I could only afford them, but can't really. Right now I'm lucky if I can consider anything over 400 and that is pushing it.

Yeah, I can agree with you there... its out of my range too, but so is the 2000+ range..

its just weird to me... that it does seem like its something of a void... the bugei tachi, and a couple of their katana fall in that range... and well, i just couldn't, even if I had the money.. too many aesthetic things I dont like about them for the money, though the phoenix tachi is the most tempting of them, to me.

I wonder if some of it isn't "well.. i could buy this now... or save up another grand and get a custom whatchamacallit kabbagekutter thing from that Howard Clark dude" I know it's what I'd do, if I thought I could afford it - heck, him, or any of the other guys doing good custom work, just to avoid the production stuff. the fact that the ArmArt was a custom order, and is Lefty (whooohoo!), and that I wanted to see what all the ArmArt fuss is about (and frankly, I think it was well founded, though I paid less than retail, and didnt have to wait the year to get it) was what prompted me to go ArmArt. I also got my Golden Oriole for a song ($350.00) as well as my Hanwei scottish courtsword (in trade for saya lacquering) But otherwise, no more production stuff for me, with the exception of an Atrim of some sort and maybe someday that phoenix tachi as well...

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Holzman wrote:

Well, my own theory, and it certainly applies to me is this: Often, it seems that if a collector has gone to the $1250-$2000 range, they've often also entered the $2000+ range. In my example, I have pieces in the $1250-$2000 range (the most attractive niche to me, to be honest), but as the question was posed, "What's your most expensive non-antique sword?" So I answered $2000+

The $1250-$2000 niche is largely unexplored. It's relatively new territory now days. Some of Erik Stevenson's more complex work may very well fit within that range. Vince Evans has offerings in that range (non-pattern-welded pieces; non-basket-hilts) Albion is venturing into that range with some of their Peter Johnsson and Forge pieces. A&A sits in that range with their custom offerings. Eddie Floyd makes things in that range, etc.

For good or bad, I think we'll be seeing more and more offerings in that range in the next six-twelve months. But that's just my guess.

Quote:
also, Nathan, was that the info you were wanting reference the S13?

Yep. Thanks a lot. I didn't remember what the relative size of the piece was.

Taylor David Bolinger

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I only have one, so $167. That would be the Albrecht II sword I'm about to win in an E-bay auction from Aaron Justice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ben Ellington

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dont forget just about all the vikings from Patrick Barta, all of which fall in the 1250-2000 price range, and personally of all the swords i've seen I like his the best for some reason.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in the $1000-$1250 band, although I expect I'll exceed it someday.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though I have yet to receive it, my NG Gaddhjalt will be the most expensive at $544. It will soon be superceded by a NG Knight at $600. As a beginning collector with champagne tastes and a beer budget, Albion is filling my needs well, I think. A full custom piece would for me be in the distant future and would probably be reserved for a pattern-welded project.

Robert B. -- You might want to check out Albion's NG Gaddhjalt. It has a brazil nut pommel and straight guard, though it would be a type-XI rather than a X. Worth a look if you haven't already seen it, though.

Brian

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Most expensive replica in your collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic