Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A at Bonhams Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: A&A at Bonhams         Reply with quote

Checkout some of the interesting items just sold in the Arms & Armour sale at Bonhams, Knightsbridge !

Bonhams A&A

Several interesting swords, a nice Scottish dirk, and an original pair of 'Murdoch' pistols caught my eye !

Always fun to see the folks with big money spend away :-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lot No: 204

A Scottish Brass-Mounted Dirk
Mid-18th Century
With broad single-edged blade double-edged towards the point and fullered along the back-edge on each side, swelling rootwood hilt cut with characteristic Celtic interlace and studs, and plain brass mounts including circular flat pommel-cap with later button pierced with small holes, in original leather scabbard tooled with pairs of crossed lines along the outside, and with linear engraved brass locket and chape
34.5 cm. blade

Estimate: £1,000 to 1,500
Sold for £2,600 plus Premium and tax

Attachment: 100.44 KB
dirk bonham collage.JPG

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lot No: 413

A Pair Of Scottish 25-Bore All-Metal Flintlock Belt Pistols
By John Murdoch Of Doune, Late 18th Century
With foliate scroll engraved four-stage barrels faceted at the flared muzzles and fluted at the breeches, signed foliate engraved flat bevelled locks (one retaining screw incomplete), stocks retaining traces of blueing and engraved with characteristic foliated scrollwork and line ornament enclosing designs of foliage beneath the locks, 'ram's horn' butts en suite and inlaid with silver interlace along the spines, each with guilloche ornament along the underside and oval silver escutcheons on both sides engraved with owner's crest and initials respectively, engraved silver button triggers (one slightly damaged) and prickers, engraved diagonally fluted belt hooks each with pierced and engraved finial, original steel ramrods with turned and pierced tips, and in fine condition (2)
18.5 cm. barrels

Estimate: £6,000 to 8,000
Sold for £12,000 plus Premium and tax
Footnote:
For a very similar pair of pistols sold in these Rooms see Antique Arms and Armour, 24 July 2003, lot 328

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was a nice one, Mac. Was there this afternoon. Didn't see the pistol but saw the dirk in the previewing. Why so expensive ? I know nothing about dirks but was surprised at the price. I haven't seen many dirks with cut-back false edges like that (i.e. so cut back), looked almost Bowie-like to me. Is that a common style ?

Some good deals in the small-sword dept and some nice rapiers (but the rapiers weren't bargains). A small-sword with a flamberge blade too !!! Never seen anything like it.

Daniel
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wish they'd had a picture of this one ..... Mac

Lot No: 220

A Basket-Hilted Broadsword In The Style Of John 2 Simpson Of Glasgow
In The Style Of The First Half Of The 18th Century
With tapering double-edged blade struck with a king's head mark on both sides in front of the forte, the forte with three fullers over each side, the central one stamped 'In Solingen', steel basket hilt composed of fluted bars involving fretted panels engraved with lines and pierced with circles and triangles, scrolled wrist-guard with spurious 'IS' over 'G', fluted conical pommel, and spirally grooved fishskin-covered grip bound with twisted brass wire
87.8 cm. blade

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, Mac... I'm becoming increasingly interested in antique pieces... this helps keep me informed and prepared for what I might have to look forward to financially.

Both the dirk and the pistols are interesting pieces - like Daniel, though, I would have thought the dirk would have gone for less and actually the pistols more.

Looking at the dirk, and at the fabulous work by Vince and Grace, it kind of blurs the ages, doesn't it?

Daniel, was this auction the one you were looking at the couple of pieces from?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
It was a nice one, Mac. Was there this afternoon. Didn't see the pistol but saw the dirk in the previewing. Why so expensive ? I know nothing about dirks but was surprised at the price. I haven't seen many dirks with cut-back false edges like that (i.e. so cut back), looked almost Bowie-like to me. Is that a common style ?

Some good deals in the small-sword dept and some nice rapiers (but the rapiers weren't bargains). A small-sword with a flamberge blade too !!! Never seen anything like it.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

I'm jealous ...... must have been a fun afternoon !

Yes, the dirks price was up there ..... but really not so far fetched !
Anything decent of that period seems to start around 3k US and move up quickly, so it doesn't surprise me at all !

Aye, that blade does have a bit of a bowie look to it .... I've seen others that are similar (2:5 in Culloden The Swords & the Sorrows comes to mind, and a few in James Formans collection !) , but probably not quite as common as your typical wedge shaped ones !

Was this the auction that had those pieces you were interested in ?
Also, do they allow any picture taking at these big auctions ? ..... or is that strickly a no no ?

Thanks, Daniel ! Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought this English half-basket was kinda interesting ...... don't suppose you got a look at this one, Daniel ?

Lot No: 223

An Unusual English Half-Basket Hilted Broadsword
Early 17th Century
With tapering double-edged blade with central fuller over most of its length on each side, hilt of bars of flattened ovoidal section comprising knuckle-guard and two side-bars linked to each other by two S-shaped bars, the knuckle-guard secured through the front of the beaked cap-like pommel, the side-bars screwed to one side, rear quillon, inner thumb-ring, and wooden grip (wormed, rust patinated and pitted overall)
68.5 cm. blade

Estimate: £1,200 to 1,500

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was a fun afternoon. Didn't see lot 220. Was it withdrawn ? Because saw and handled 217 composite broadsword which was sweet and 220 should have been right next to it . 215 small sword was a beauty but a little too ornate for my style. I made a bid on 222 the Wallace Collection style duelling rapier (proto epee) but wasn't prepared to go above 2K for it though I regret it a bit now. Beautiful balance. 223 was interesting but in bad shape.

Yes the two pieces I was looking at were for this auction but were withdrawn due to pre-auction sales. People take a punt on what it will get at auction and take the risk of whether to pre-sell or not. They were good pieces but unfortunately people with more coin than me bought them pre-auction. I was at least vindicated in my judgement of their quality because the two guys who did the final buying practically cut each other's throats over the price-war.

I've never taken photos actually. I don't know if it's banned or not to tell the truth. There's a lot of sneaky mobile phone snapping regardless. Actually I'll find out becasue even if I don't but at the time I can take photos and post them on the site. Good point, Mac.

daniel
Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I did see the 223 one, Mac. Wasn't happy about those screws at the top of the hilt. The rest of it looked rough to me but not unconvincing and the blade was better than the rest of it. If the date is genuine I wonder whether it was remounted or patched togther in the civil war period maybe. It looked like a sword that had been repaired or remounted cheaply and with functionality in mind. It reminded me in a funny way of Japanese swords from the Satsuma rebellion in the 19th century where you see a real variety of remounted and refurnitured swords put together quickly to provide weapons at short notice to fight. Could be completely wrong but it had the sense of a sword repaired or put together to provide a sturdy weapon in the hand on a limited budget and at short notice, so I thought civil war. But broadswords aren't my usual thing so could be way out. Could be an early cavalry sword pre civil war provided for or bought by a non-wealthy officer or trooper maybe ? No idea. Nearest thing I've seen hilt-wise was a scandinavian cavalry sword circa 1690.

I see what you mean about the dirk price. You see such a plethra of late 19th century Scottish stuff but get back to 18th century pieces and I guess they become hugely rarer hence the price for good examples.

Did you see the 7-barrel flintlock pistol !! Was that really practical ??

I'll see about photos for the next ones and if OK I'll take a digital camera and take a whole bunch of close up snaps.

Daniel

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A at Bonhams
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic