Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Ren. Fest. clothes         Reply with quote

Hello all,

OK some people go historically accurate and some don't......but it's all in good fun. So the question is: What's your costume? Posted is a pic of mom ,the girlfriend ,and me. Niether of theirs are accurate and mines kinda sorta 1300's'ish. Missing the right hoes and shoes and the fabric is just all wrong but knowing whats right and affording are 2 different things( besides I bought the outfit before I started reading articles on here Wink Happy ) But I'd love to see what every one else is wearing out and about these days. Happy

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not too shabby for a nice day at the faire, Eric!

Here's a pic of my buddy John and me (I'm on the left) in some of that non-historic stuff at the Louisiana Ren Fest, 2004. It was fun... still made a bunch of pics, and wore some lipstick home. Wink

And one of just me...

I'm working on 3 highly historical ones at the moment... 11th C Viking, 13th C Templar, 16th C Knight. The Templar is furthest along... once finished, I'll post some pics of that one, too.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last time in uniform..............................

I may be wearing some of this to the Texas Ren. Faire later this year. I'll probably leave the armor at home!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick,
I'm in the process of thinking up a funny caption to go with your picture! Razz Laughing Out Loud

You guys all look great! I don't have just one costume. Most of the time, Mother Nature decides for me on what I'm gonna wear to the faire. I'm certainly not going in my full Musketeer ensemble if it's sunny and 85 degrees. Eek!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

I used to live in Houston and would go to the TX Ren Fest every year. I've been in NYC now for 8 years and the Faire up here blows!! I make sure and take my vacation every year so I can make the last week of the one in TX.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
Patrick,

I used to live in Houston and would go to the TX Ren Fest every year. I've been in NYC now for 8 years and the Faire up here blows!! I make sure and take my vacation every year so I can make the last week of the one in TX.

A friend of ours has a plane and he's offerd to fly us down there during the faire, along with his girlfriend. So we may be able to make a weekend of it.

Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ren. Fest. clothes         Reply with quote

Eric Nower wrote:
Missing the right hoes Happy

*snip* Oh boy... Razz

Johan Schubert Moen
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As cast members of the Va. Ren-faire, portraying Sir William FitzWilliam - Lord Deputy of Ireland and Lady Anne( Sidney) FitzWilliam.

Bill

Attachment: 63.94 KB
LordLadyFitzWilliam.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here´s me (on the left) with good friend Johan (yes, he is huge) at an event at Haute Koeningsburg with Companie of Saynte George a few years ago.
...and even today my armour is still not complete Blush
Great fun though!

Attachment: 73.07 KB
Johan&me.jpg

Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My costume? Hm, most of it is on a way back to Poland (14th century pourpoint and hose) for refitting. Worried

So unfortunately I'm still walking around in my old kit. This is a photo from medieval tournament in Belgrade, Serbia that happened last month.

And a link to the gallery with more of the photos from Belgrade.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mvucekovic/album?.dir=/130a

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some nice costumes in here!!

Sadly the only pictures ever taken of me in costume were by my ex-girlfriend, and those weren't very good pictures anyway.

The costume is very outdated, and put together before I knew anything about historical medieval clothing, so I'll be starting a new soon.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some great stuff out there! Peter, your armour, and that of your friend, is fabulous!

I couldn't dig up a suitable dismounted pic (since I don't ride at Faire, needless to say), so this old one will have to do. I think it's about 20 years old! Big Grin

"Das Fahndrich von Nurmburg"

Cheers,

Gordon

Attachment: 36.54 KB
gordlnksknctweb.jpg

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that I need more good pictures of myself in armour.
Hopefully, I'll get a couple of nice ones when I go to the Kungelv medevial festival next week...

Until that time, one of my favourite pictures (mostly because its so absurd), from the Vinter training weekend this february... Granted, its not a faire, but a fighting event...
http://www.vestre-aker.gs.oslo.no/friknektene...C_0281.htm
I'm number three from the right; green surcoat, looking incredibly silly with a Improvised Anti-Reflection Device™ (aka a hood) over my helmet...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GOTTA get a digital camera if I can stop buying toys for a little while. Razz Laughing Out Loud
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://curtisg.smugmug.com/gallery/625234/1/26548584/Large

This is what I presently wear to faire... Wink

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
OK some people go historically accurate and some don't......but it's all in good fun.

Hi Eric,
I tend to have a less indulgent attitude when it comes to historic accuracy at historic-themed events. When people disregard accuracy past a certain point they simply promote ignorance, and this is a slippery slope that encourages other indiscriminate behaviors. Renaissance Faires are a perfect if unfortunate case in point; people who in one breath will say how they love history and the romance of bygone ages will in the next say with full conviction the most absurdly untrue things about historical events, people, and places.

I've always been against this because outside observers will tend to associate these behaviors with sword ownership and practice, and develop a bad impression of us as a community. I think it's incumbent upon us to be openly critical of lax authenticity -- and bad costuming, being the most immediately visible aspect of this, should be our most immediate target.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've done all kinds of re-enactment in the past. I don't do any of it now.

But when I did, I had enough clothing choices to portray high renaissance nobility, German landsknecht soldier, English soldier, border reiver, Scotish Highlander, musketeer, 13th, 14th, and 15th century man at arms, 16th century knight, 15th century archer... and more.

Since you about Renaissance, however, here are a cuople photos of me as a ren noble that I already have on the 'net:

I'm on the right in both of these:

For more detailed photos and information regarding the amazing costume in the left-hand photo, please visit the site of my costumer, Lynn McMasters: 1590's Man's Elizabethan Court Costume

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
Quote:
OK some people go historically accurate and some don't......but it's all in good fun.

Hi Eric,
I tend to have a less indulgent attitude when it comes to historic accuracy at historic-themed events. When people disregard accuracy past a certain point they simply promote ignorance, and this is a slippery slope that encourages other indiscriminate behaviors. Renaissance Faires are a perfect if unfortunate case in point; people who in one breath will say how they love history and the romance of bygone ages will in the next say with full conviction the most absurdly untrue things about historical events, people, and places.

I've always been against this because outside observers will tend to associate these behaviors with sword ownership and practice, and develop a bad impression of us as a community. I think it's incumbent upon us to be openly critical of lax authenticity -- and bad costuming, being the most immediately visible aspect of this, should be our most immediate target.

While I agree with you I've never seen a Renaissance Faire here in the US that that has anything approaching historical accuracy on the whole. So in and of itself the whole concept of the American Ren Faire is ahistorical.

And it is good fun. We're not curing cancer after all.

Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be fine with that, except that the Faires and many of their "Rennie" patrons market themselves as historical, host school days where they "educate" kids, etc. The Renfaire is becoming an institution of historic ignorance. If they were truthful about what they are, as one now-defunct local fair was in calling itself a "Fantasy Faire," I wouldn't be so ruffled about it. People want to have it both ways, and they don't have the right to.

Mind you, even the costumes I have are not exacting in their accuracy, but they are true to the aesthetics of their origin and do get it right by and large. That's all I really ask for -- a little respect for the cultures you presume to represent when you dress up. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I happen to agree with you, Ruel. I would say, for me, the key is knowing one's level of historical accuracy and communicating it well to others.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes
Page 1 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: