Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Transportation? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Transportation?         Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been curious on something lately: If a centuries-old sword needs to be transported from one place to another, how is it done? How would it be packaged or protected against things like climate changes? If you owned a sword that was many centuries old, how would you transport it?

My first guess is that it would be wrapped in airtight material to protect it from oxygen (which I hear can be quite "corrosive" to some metals) in a container marked Fragile. Also if it were me, I would first get it appraised for insurance purposes and get a tracking number so I can monitor its every move (and be constantly praying Blush ), but only if I couldn't go with it or take it myself. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I purchase a "new" antique, it generally comes in a normal box. I usually send mine out in a wooden box packed in foam and sandwiched between two planks of wood, but I am paranoid and I find that theft is not a problem when it is sealed with MANY screws. Corrosion is the least of my concerns, I have never had a problem with it. My main concern is being broken in the middle. I must say though, I have never had a problem. Insurance is a must!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Theft?! Oh, horror! Eek! Wow, you've got a point there. Sealing it up with screws sure would sure seem to work. For something of extreme value (and irreplaceable) like an antique sword, perhaps I would contact the local FBI or U.S. Customs branch before I send it anywhere. If it doesn't arrive at its intended destination within, say, 24 hours (give or take) of when it was supposed to get there, I'd first contact the carrier -- then the gov! I'm only speculating since I'll likely not ever be in such a situation (I hope not to be!). Like I said: I'd want to travel with it or take it myself. -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a great question... I guess the same thing would apply to any collection of antiquities... For example I wonder how they got stuff like the original "german branch sword" from the Royal Armouries to the Frazier Museum in Kentucky...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have any antique swords, nor have I ever attempted to transport one. However, if I needed to transport an antique sword, I would probably consider using a gun case. I don't have such a case, but I am picturing something with a hard outer casing, like hard-sided luggage, with a sealed seam and a lock. Interior lined with some sort of foam to protect the sword. As for corrosion, I would slather up the sword with Renaissance Wax. And then insure the heck out of it.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I wonder how they got stuff like the original "german branch sword" from the Royal Armouries to the Frazier Museum in Kentucky...

As it happens, the Royal Armouries site has the Senior Conservator's description of getting the RA stuff to the Frazier. Fascinating stuff:

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=182

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Transportation?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic