Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My dream sword is here :) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Post

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: My dream sword is here :)         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

first off, I'm sorry I didn't participate in the recent months. There were so many factors that kept me from visiting _any_ forum, including my very own one (luckily, I have reliable moderators). So under these circumstances, I hope you forgive me for not showing up. Happy

However, now I just have GOT to show you something. Let me remind you that I'm in the sword business myself. I love European swords in general, but never found one that was _exactly_ as I would have it.
Late last year, we decided that we want to develop our own line of swords, and luckily we have found a group of very decent German craftsmen. So after months of creating designs, making prototypes, and improving them, the final product is finished. We've had excellent feedback in our forum community, so now I'd like to hear if the esteemed collectors and enthusiasts in this community have a thing or two to say about it. Happy

So, without further ado, I present you.... the Northern Hunter:

Glows blue when Orcs are near:

Razz [not a photoshop trick, it just came out of the camera like this]

Technical features:
Forged blade, using 67SiCr5 steel, tempered to 55 HRC.
Overall length: 45"
Blade length 33,5"
Hilt length 11" (handle and pommel)
Overall weight: 1200g / 2 lb 10 oz
COG: 4"
COP: 22,5"

All stats apply for the cutter version. We're also doing a HES version with bated edges, and a reinforced version for Stage combat (2,5mm edge, weighing 1600g with a more defensive balance). The Stage version already survived a "trial by fire" of heavy stage sparring with the most minimal impact marks (as little as can be expected).

Description:
I designed this sword to be my personal dream sword, and this it is. Now I can't take my eyes off it.
The fuller of this Type XII(a) blade starts out very wide and tapers paralell to the edges at 9mm to each side, over about 2/3rds of the blade. The COP is pretty much 2/3 from the base, 1/3 from the tip. The blade features a 50% distal taper, but don't ask me if it's linear, convex, or some other form. Wink
The cross is a plain style 6, as seen on several Type XII swords of the 13th/14th centuries (though then often engraved).
The pommel design is my own, but inspired by / related to the Oakeshott V-I pommel type.
I attached great importance to authentic construction, though of course the blade is forged with a power hammer. The full tang is hot-peened to the pommel. The fit is very tight and free of any rattling.
As a little gimmick, there is a little spacer between the pommel and the peen, so if the need arises to disassemble the sword, you can re-assemble it without having to shorten the hilt; just take a smaller spacer. Wink

Currently it's still a unique piece (along with its Stage Combat brother), but we already received a bunch of orders. Heck, even if nobody ordered it, it would have paid off for me just because I have it now. Big Grin The first batch will be completed in 2-3 months. Of course it's only a very small scale production.

The sword feels very lively in the hand, and can easily be wielded single-handedly. I'm planning to do some test cutting tomorrow. We'll also try to take some decent pictures out of doors, but that depends on the weather. Happy

Skeppsmannens härsmakt räddes ej väta:
blodulvar vadade väst över Panta:
fram över flodens glimmande vatten
buro de lindesköldar i land.
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! Eek! Wow! That has to be one of the most beautiful swords I've ever seen! I think you've created my dream sword too Razz. The pommel and guard are actually my favorite style. It looks very clean, elegent, and fast. How does it perform?

Fantastic work!
-Michæl F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Dream Sword         Reply with quote

So, who is selling these? Have you or they got a website?W.
tweetchris
Chris Post

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Eek! Eek! Eek! Wow! That has to be one of the most beautiful swords I've ever seen! I think you've created my dream sword too Razz. The pommel and guard are actually my favorite style. It looks very clean, elegent, and fast.

Thanks for the approval. Happy If you like it as much, maybe that makes us "Brothers in Arms" Wink

Quote:
How does it perform?

As I said, cutting tests will follow, and I'll also evaluate the handling elaborately then (when I can go outside in the countryside). Up to now I can already say it is very fast and lively in basic manoeuvres.
However, I'm quite respectful towards the sharpness of the edges, so for the real artistic tricks I'd rather wait till I have a bated fencing version here. Wink

Quote:
So, who is selling these? Have you or they got a website?W.

We are, and we do. Happy
http://www.nordavind.net/

The page for this Northern Hunter sword is not up yet, and all the discussion takes place in our forum, but if you're interested, you can email or PM me anytime.

We are making an introductory price for the first couple of months; we'll have to raise it later because production cost in Germany is really not funny - but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The initial special prices are already set, but before I post them here, I'd like to get your opinion: how much would you all expect it to cost, or how much would you think to be fair?
(I'm of course hoping you'll name higher figures than what we intend to charge. We will also offer a matching scabbard separately, but this isn't finished yet.)

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While we encourage makers and vendors to announce and advertise their items on our site, we ask that it be limited to those people who are eligible and have joined the "Industry Professionals" usergroup. This has the added benefit of keeping this type of commerce-related discussion to a specific forum, our "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum, and allows our members to selectively ignore these messages should they wish to do so.

Joining this group has some requirements, one of which is a first-hand knowledge of the products of the makers by the myArmoury.com team, some of our trusted members, or by the peers already in the Industry Pro group. This allows us to keep a handle on the items being marketed on our site, specifically in terms of item quality.

One of the fastest ways to get your items known in our community is to offer one or more as a loaner for our Hands-on Reviews. You can contact me directly should you wish to pursue this route.

Because you are not part of this group, this topic is inappropriate in terms of the marketing information. You're welcome to discuss your dream sword here, but please avoid any more sales or marketing info until you're able to join the Industry Pro group.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Post

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand your point, so I'll add no further sales information here. You guys know how to get hold of me. Wink

However, I'd be happy to continue talking about this sword as I named the topic: my dream sword.
I'll have to put that into perspective, anyway: this is my dream sword in its category, i.e. hand-and-half swords. I also have a decided weakness for Viking and earlier swords. But that just as an aside.

So now as for this sword: you may have noted that it is a bit shorter than other typical hand-and-half swords. I have to admit that, quite selfishly, I set the measurements to my personal preference. For example, I want to whirl a sword around without having to worry about ploughing the ground. I'm not exactly short at 6'2", but this is a problem I've had with typical 35"-36" blades.

I'd be happy to hear any more input.
Greetings
Chris

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't see your baby on the pages. Don't see anything else very new, oringinal, and interesting for that matter. Pleanty of Last Legend, Imperial, Hanwei/Chen/CAS, and most of the typical print that accompies them. If you want any feedback, I'd recommend focussing more on you new stuff. As it stands you don't have a differentiator with the other lines. They all sell on price which can be a hard thing to build a thriving business around.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 25 Jun, 2005 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Post

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well as I wrote before, the pages for the new sword aren't done yet, the introduction took place in our forum.
(link in German language: http://www.nordavind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1232 )
We've been an LL distributor for over two years (before they started making katanas) and that business goes very well. I daresay we're one of the leading sword retailers in Germany.
But concerning Last Legend, that company focuses on Katanas as you know. I do like Katanas, but my heart truly lies with Euro swords. As for Imperial, they do fair stuff in the lower price range, but I don't think I have to elaborate why a $200 sword is not a $600 sword.
Which is why we decided to take matters into our own hands.

@Nathan: I hope Nathan you don't mind me writing all that business stuff, but I feel I should respond to a post directed at me.

Since we have a lot of work to do and several new projects (read: swords) in the planning stage, it will take a few days, but our "house wine" pages will go up soon. Happy
EDIT: but you are right, we _will_ focus on our own lines in the months to come. Thanks for your support.

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Post wrote:
Well as I wrote before, the pages for the new sword aren't done yet, the introduction took place in our forum.
(link in German language: http://www.nordavind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1232 )
We've been an LL distributor for over two years (before they started making katanas) and that business goes very well. I daresay we're one of the leading sword retailers in Germany.
But concerning Last Legend, that company focuses on Katanas as you know. I do like Katanas, but my heart truly lies with Euro swords. As for Imperial, they do fair stuff in the lower price range, but I don't think I have to elaborate why a $200 sword is not a $600 sword.
Which is why we decided to take matters into our own hands.

@Nathan: I hope Nathan you don't mind me writing all that business stuff, but I feel I should respond to a post directed at me.

Since we have a lot of work to do and several new projects (read: swords) in the planning stage, it will take a few days, but our "house wine" pages will go up soon. Happy
EDIT: but you are right, we _will_ focus on our own lines in the months to come. Thanks for your support.

Chris,

The easiest, and most proper way to respond is by PM. You're stretching the boundries we've set. Please stop.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chris Post

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry. Will use PM in the future. Thank you for your patience.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My dream sword is here :)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic