Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Has anyone done any silver work? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Has anyone done any silver work?         Reply with quote

I'm very seriously considering doing some work in Sterling Silver for fittings and buckles for a few of my scabbards... in particular, the Regent, Squire, and Brescia. I think it would give a really nice appearance.

Question is, does it act and form like carbon steel of similar dimension?

I know there are some significant safety issues with it, and have those covered... not a problem there.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know much about silver-working, but I think sterling silver is pretty soft. I'd think you'd have to be careful with how weight and load-bearing is distributed. Art Elwell, who makes pretty darn nice scabbards, uses german silver (AKA nickel silver) with sterling trim for fittings. German silver is stiffer than sterling.

I know there are silver-mounted scabbards historically, I just don't know if they're silver-plated or solid silver. I think there are some of each, so it's plausible if done properly.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
German silver is stiffer than sterling.

I know there are silver-mounted scabbards historically, I just don't know if they're silver-plated or solid silver. I think there are some of each, so it's plausible if done properly.

Thanks for your input, Chad! German silver is a nice metal, and I have been considering that as well. It has zero actual silver content, interestingly enough - it's an alloy of copper, zinc, and nickel. It's probably a little less expensive, too... which is attractive. I'm not trying to find a cheap alternative, rather a plausible and practical one.

It's intrinsic integrity is one of my primary concerns with using sterling for an integral load-bearing fitting or finding and it may not be the best of options. Still, though, pewter wasn't uncommon (for other applications), and it is really soft. I was primarily thinking of chapesand lockets, which would not bear any load, but it will take a bit of abuse through use.

All this said, I think I will look into the German Silver as a nice alternative as well. None of this may even pan out, but it's got me thinking pretty hard.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Andy Bryant

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Silver Fittings         Reply with quote

I have been looking into this myself. I have been casting fittings and buckles from brass and bronze. Its not too difficult with the proper equipment. Are you planning to cast your buckles and fittings or had you something else in mind? If you plan on casting, there are a couple of directions, sand casting and investment. Sand is a lot cheaper and probably a lot more period, investment can be done by the hobbest, but your gonna need some specialized equipment. I can point you too some pretty good websites if your looking to sand cast. If you plan on investment your better off heading too the library.
Thank You
Andy Bryant
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy!

I had actually thought on sand casting. Investment casting is more than I really want to get into personally, though I could carve waxes and have a jeweler do the casting for me... but I'd have to want something REALLY bad to go through the trouble. For the types of things I am looking for, dealing with the sand isn't a problem, and any rough finish is easily polished.

I have done some bronze casting and pewter casting in the past, though it has been a long time ago. If you have good reference sites or books you would recommend, please do let me know!

By the way... german silver sheet is about 1/10 the cost of sterling... a lot more palateable... may be useful for a portion of what I want to do, but I still like sterling for some fittings and findings.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Aaron, give me a ring if you still have my number.....
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.ganoksin.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin

Looks like I'll be going forward with the sterling.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Has anyone done any silver work?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic