Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hello again, and a travelling/museum question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Hello again, and a travelling/museum question         Reply with quote

Hi guys, it's been a while! Glad to see all is still well. Wink

My wife and I are taking a trip to Munich (Oktoberfest! a life long dream!) I have seen the post regarding the swords (albion's soon to be Munich) in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum.

I was hoping some of you more travelled individuals can suggest some museums, historical sites, or Off-the-beaten path places in the rest of our itinerary!

We're going to be in:
Munich & around bavaria,
Salzburg
Budapest, Eger and the Danube Bend region, Hungary
Bratislava, Slovakia? (maybe)
Brno, Czech Republic
Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
Prague
Sedlec, Czech Republic (to see the church made of the bones of plague victims Eek! )
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Munich the previously mentioned Bayerisches Nationalmuseum is a must-see. The Bavarian Army Museum (Heeresgeschichtliches Museum) in Ingolstadt is worth a side trip, with lots of sword and armor related stuff, the 16th and 17th centuries being well represented. If you can make it as far north at Nuremburg the Germanisches Nationalmuseum has a nice arms and armor collection, too.

I was too cheap to pay for the tour of the Festung Hohensalzburg in Salzburg (it's the big castle on the hill above town), so I'm not sure what kinds of sword stuff you'll see there. It's a nice hike up to the castle, with nice views of the city.

On a different note in Salzburg eat at the restaurant Herzl at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch in the Altstadt. It shares the kitchen with the ritzy Goldener Hirsch restaurant, but is much less expensive and more rustic while offering some of the same or similar food.

Happy
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Celten offcourse         Reply with quote

If you like things Celtic...

"Near" to Zalsburg (Hallein) is this museum.

http://www.keltenmuseum.at/htdocs/

And a little furter away Is HALLSTATT, craddle of the Celtic Civilisation...
There's a little Museum (can't find it's url) that shows a small part off the finds they found there including Ancient swords, dagger, axes and so on...

Folkert

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hallstatt is stunningly beautiful, but don't go for the museum, which is tiny and deeply disappointing. If you want a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the west from Salzburg, get over to Graz and visit the regional armoury there. It's astonishing.

I didn't find anything of interest, in terms of arms & armour in Krumlov (I wasn't looking, though). Anyway, it's one of the most beautiful cities in Central Europe. You can look down on it from the castle and imagine that it hasn't changed in 300 years. Buy pottery and amber jewelry (though perhaps prices have increased in recent years?). Papa's Living Restaurant is excellent, by the way (assuming it wasn't washed away by the flood).

Prague has a great many things of interest for a&a enthusiasts. Unfortunately, the military museum on the castle hill was closed for renovation when I was there, but there's a small historical museum up there as well, and it has some arms, most notably some stuff from the Hussites. Also up on the castle hill you should pay the small fee to get into the Golden Lane (do I remember the name correctly?). At the top of that lane is a replica arms & armour manufacturer. The hallway leading to the shop is lined with very nice plate armour. The goods for sale in the shop are, I'd say, slightly below the quality of MRL. There were some unique pieces there, but in general they seemed too heavy and crude to justify the prices (which probably reflect the shop's location at the heart of the local tourist trade). It's worth a look though. Surprisingly, the Natural History Museum has a great many ancient pieces--both arms and armour--and at least one exceptional repro Celtic or Germanic sword. The Best Armour company is in Prague somewhere, and they have outstanding armour.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys! (especially the restaraunt!)

In Cesky Krumlov, we will be staying in a bed and breakfast in a 13th century tower...that should be a really cool experience!
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How could I forget Graz? Eek! It's not exactly close to Salzburg - it's a three hour drive or so - but if you're going to be in that part of the world it would be a crime not to fit it into your schedule. Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hello again, and a travelling/museum question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic