Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This evenings program at the local library.................. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: This evenings program at the local library..................         Reply with quote

As some of you know I was asked to give a program on medieval arms and armor at the local library. The subject of this summers activities is the middle ages, so I was asked to give a program on the military side of medieval life. Here are a few photos of the evenings activities. I apologize for the bad quality of the photos.

We had a pretty good turn out, honestly it was better than I expected.

That little fellow in the front row in the glasses and red t-shirt really got into it. Every time I asked a question his hand was the first one up.

That's my youngest son Sean standing behind me acting as my squire. Squire Mini-Me isn't so mini anymore! Overall things went very well and the adults seemed as interested as the kids. One of the biggest challenges during a program like this is making sure you convey the information without talking over the head of the children. Some of the adults had very good questions that helped move the program along.

One little guy arrived late and was very disappointed that he missed the program. As it turned out he was the luckiest one of the whole bunch, because he got a one man show and was able to handle a lot of things first-hand that the other kids didn't. He left happy. Big Grin This evening really reminded me how much I miss doing this kind of thing.

And yes, I was sweating like a pig in all of that wool and steel. The Kelly family has also been drafted into the libraries one-day Renaissnce Faire next month. That's going to be outside in August. Eek!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Tue 14 Jun, 2005 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very glad to see that it went well, Patrick! I know that turnout and crowd participation are issues that we just don't know about until they are (or aren't) there. In this case, most of the faces seem intent on actually watching and learning.

I would very much have liked to have been there for this event, hanging out in the back. I, too, really miss doing this type of thing. I'm WAY overdue for a bout of "educate and amaze the kiddies".

The kit has definitely turned out quite nice - hadn't seen the spear before, but it's a solid companion to your helm. Big-time kudos to your seamstress! Way to go, Team Kelly!

Oh, and best of luck surviving the Kansas heat in all that mess!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick...

That's the best way I know to keep history alive for another generation. And even those kiddos that don't become historians are encouraged by a man who brings his hobby into a kids world.

Keep up the good work!

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick "you loook marvelous" (thats probably a little dated as far as references go) . Isn't it great when you see the light come on in the little folks eyes and you know that what you've said will stick with them for a LONG time to come.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Aaron,
As you know my wife busted her butt all day long getting the clothing part of my kit finish. It's all still a work in progress but I think she did a great job. Just imagine what the spear and helmet look like when they have a shield to go with them. Wink

Kirk,
Yes, it's great seeing the interest in the kids faces. The young ones have a tendency to draw everyone else in too.

Allen,
Though not in these particular photos, your shield was there and was put to good use! These days I'm looking a bit too "mahvelous", if you know what I mean. Big Grin

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All that stuff looks great: Cool to have a dad who still knows that an active fantasy life is O.K. ( I guess, unless the kid is the one who thinks like a " DULL NORMAL " )

A good kite shield and a horse would complete the whole thing.

Don't you wish there was a way to rachet down your methabolism so that you could feel as cool as you look. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

First of all, congratulations for your teaching program ! I have the deepest respect for people like you who are ready to share their knowledge and passion with the others, and especially children. Teaching something is a really difficult art, notably in this "Playstation-era", so I'm very pleased you did find an interested audience.

Like Kirk said : Keep up the good work !

David
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's fantastic Patrick, and the kit looks great!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done, Patrick. My wife does similar demonstrations for American colonial life, having worked at a couple of colonial plantation reenactment sites in a previous life. She finds it very rewarding, and I'm sure that you did, as well. Did you and mini-you make any special efforts (other than your kit, of course) to be "in character"? Were there any issues with showing the large pointy on such public property?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
All that stuff looks great: Cool to have a dad who still knows that an active fantasy life is O.K. ( I guess, unless the kid is the one who thinks like a " DULL NORMAL " )

A good kite shield and a horse would complete the whole thing.

Don't you wish there was a way to rachet down your methabolism so that you could feel as cool as you look. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Thanks Jean,

The two older kids are the ones who thought dad's hobby was boring. Fortunately the youngest one gets into it too.

The shield is in the works but I don't think I could get a horse in the library.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Well done, Patrick. My wife does similar demonstrations for American colonial life, having worked at a couple of colonial plantation reenactment sites in a previous life. She finds it very rewarding, and I'm sure that you did, as well. Did you and mini-you make any special efforts (other than your kit, of course) to be "in character"? Were there any issues with showing the large pointy on such public property?

No "in character" type of stuff in this venue. I did put my armour on out of sight while my wife introduced me. I then walked into the room and got a pretty good reaction that way. Mini-Me is going to have his own clothing ready for the Faire in august and he'll act as my squire.

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job and great kit there Patrick. Doing these types of presentations/demo is another wonderful aspect of this hobby.
The chance to pass on our knowledge to others (especially the kids) is a blessing. My wife (who's a period seamstress) and myself have done several of these for my son's school to both children and adults.

Thanks for sharing this.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Were there any issues with showing the large pointy on such public property?

Sorry Steve, I forgot to answer this one.

There didn't seem to be much of a concern about it. This isn't like bringing weapons onto school grounds, as we've discussed before. This is the kind of venue that I'd prefer to do this kind of thing in. When you take the kids outside the school atmosphere they tend to loosen up a bit and have more fun.

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick,
That's awesome! And your kit looks great.

I actually just did a demo at a school two weeks ago along these lines. The sixth grade class was having a medieval day, and they had many different people talk about certain medieval trades. For instance, right before I was on, there was a falconer, which was really neat. I was there to talk about 15th century swordsmanship, and showed up in some armour with some swords. I passed around the blunt ones (which I forgot to oil off afterwards, and are covered in rusty finger prints. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Whoops.) and got volunteers up to demonstrate a few things with wasters. Talked about reasons for certain sword types and all. Overall it was a lot of fun. Honestly, I really wish there were more things like this when I was a kid.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Great Job Patrick         Reply with quote

As a teacher I have to say thanks to you Patrick for sharing your knowledge with people. I think that with kids, things like this, outside of shcool, would probably work better. The reason I think that, is you have only kids there who want to be there. I too wish there were more of this going on, especially in the summers. So once again thanks for sharing and expanding our future hobby base. If only one of the kids in your audience picks up the hobby, then you have esured at least one more generation will continue with what has become our passion.

Joel
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: We really need to talk....         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
As a teacher I have to say thanks to you Patrick for sharing your knowledge with people. I think that with kids, things like this, outside of shcool, would probably work better. The reason I think that, is you have only kids there who want to be there. I too wish there were more of this going on, especially in the summers. So once again thanks for sharing and expanding our future hobby base. If only one of the kids in your audience picks up the hobby, then you have esured at least one more generation will continue with what has become our passion.

Joel

Idea

As geographically close as we are, Joel, and as connected as you are, we could pull something like this together if you have any ideas... I'm serious as a heart attack.

If you are interested, let's discuss this offline. You know how to find me... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
...I actually just did a demo at a school two weeks ago along these lines...I was there to talk about 15th century swordsmanship, and showed up in some armour with some swords. I passed around the blunt ones....

Bill, it looks like you brought sharps as well as blunts to school. What, if any, weapons policy issues did you have to deal with?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Job Patrick         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:

Joel

Agreed Joel.

I still remember the curator at the Nelson Art Gallery in Kansas City who saw a young kid staring wide-eyed at 6 or 8 medieval viking swords behind a large pane of glass. I also remember how far my mouth dropped open when he said "We'll be cleaning those swords next week, would you like to help us?". I didn't know the man and he didn't need to take the time but he did, and that small act changed my life.

It's nice to pass it on.

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Job Patrick         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I still remember the curator at the Nelson Art Gallery in Kansas City who saw a young kid staring wide-eyed at 6 or 8 medieval viking swords behind a large pane of glass. I also remember how far my mouth dropped open when he said "We'll be cleaning those swords next week, would you like to help us?". I didn't know the man and he didn't need to take the time but he did, and that small act changed my life.

I had a similar experience in London at 14 years old. I was in awe then, and longed to be on the other side of that glass. I didn't get my chance to do that until I was in college. A very good friend of mine worked in the Smithsonian Natural History museum going through the vaults and cataloging all the artifacts. I spent countless hours handling some truly amazing pieces. Weapons, armour, pottery, bones, jewelry.... The experience and education was indescribable. I've been trying to find ways to recreate and share elements of history ever since.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Job Patrick         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I had a similar experience in London at 14 years old. I was in awe then, and longed to be on the other side of that glass. I didn't get my chance to do that until I was in college. A very good friend of mine worked in the Smithsonian Natural History museum going through the vaults and cataloging all the artifacts. I spent countless hours handling some truly amazing pieces. Weapons, armour, pottery, bones, jewelry.... The experience and education was indescribable. I've been trying to find ways to recreate and share elements of history ever since.

I inherited my love of antiques from my mother. When I was a child she and I would spend many an afternoon searching through antique shops, as she had done with her mother. She used to say, "If only these things could talk and tell us their story." I don't have a lot of good memories from my childhood but that's one of them.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This evenings program at the local library..................
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: