Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Elric/Michael Moorcock Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Elric/Michael Moorcock Question         Reply with quote

Hi,

I read the Elric Saga when I was a teenager. I am now re-reading them. I purchased an Omnibus called "Elric of Melinbone"

Anyway, I thought it contain all the saga's books under one cover, but I got half way through it and realized that some of the titles do not look familiar to me. Does anyone know the original order in which one is to read these books.

I looked on Moorcock sites, but I am even more confused now.

Signed,

Confused By Moorcock

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From http://www.multiverse.org/content-3.html

Elric novels

The Elric Saga

Elric of Melniboné (The Dreaming City)
The Fortress of the Pearl
The Sailor on the Seas of Fate [contains a considerably revised version of The Jade Man's Eyes as the final "book"]
The Weird of the White Wolf [linked narrative collection]
The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
The Revenge of the Rose
The Bane of the Black Sword [linked narrative collection]
Stormbringer

Other

Elric at the End of Time [published as collection of short stories, only some of which have a connection to the Elric Saga, and also as just the novella, illustrated by Rodney Matthews]
The Singing Citadel [linked narrative collection, only some have a connection to the Elric Saga]
The Stealer of Souls (The Stealer of Souls and Other Stories) [linked narrative collection]
The Jade Man's Eyes [chapbook]
Elric: The Return to Melniboné [short graphic novel, drawn by Philippe Druillet with text by Michael Moorcock]

I get the impression that there is no real "original order". Fits nicely into the 'multiverse' concept, which isn't exactly linear in nature either, IIRC. So it's okay to be confused. ;-)
I hope this helps.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Elric saga was the spark to the flame of my sword interest some 20 yrs ago. This is very interesting in that the original series that I read ,did not contain The Fortress of the Pearl or the Revenge of the Rose titles. Cool info. thanks, I may have to drag out my old copies and give a re-read as well.

Bill

(my SFI avatar)

Attachment: 49.36 KB
elric.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could just be me, but I've always thought the song 'Black Blade' by Blue Oyster Cult was inspired by the Elric books.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Elric novels

The Elric Saga

Elric of Melniboné (The Dreaming City)
The Fortress of the Pearl
The Sailor on the Seas of Fate [contains a considerably revised version of The Jade Man's Eyes as the final "book"]
The Weird of the White Wolf [linked narrative collection]
The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
The Revenge of the Rose
The Bane of the Black Sword [linked narrative collection]
Stormbringer

Hey thanks Anton, that is very helpful. I realize that the title change and the absence of the narrative collections in this Omnibus are what were throwing me off. Thanks again.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: I think         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:
It could just be me, but I've always thought the song 'Black Blade' by Blue Oyster Cult was inspired by the Elric books.

If I'm not mistaken, that Moorcock worked with BOC on a project. So, that is probably it.

Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello.I also read these books ,way-back-when.If I remember right,Elric was part of Micheal Moorcocks" Eternal Champion "series.There where several other heroes in this group,the only names that comes to mind though are Elric of Melnibone,and Count brass.There was one book, though, that had a Frazetta cover ,of a barbarian in a chariot, drawn by polar bears.I cant recall, the character`s name, but I do remember liking the story. Just my two penny`s.
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a crossover between Elric and the Count Brass series, but it's been so long since I read the Count brass series that I don't remember the details.

Eric, I had a look at the liner notes of the CD with the song on it (Cultosaurus Erectus from 1980 if you're interested) Wink and there's no mention of Mr. Moorcock. However, the liner notes are very limited so I'm going to keep looking.
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorites (of the "Eternal Champion" books) were the "Corum" series

Corum: The Coming of Chaos (The Swords Trilogy) (The Swords of Corum) (Corum)
The Knight of the Swords
The Queen of the Swords
The King of the Swords

The Prince with the Silver Hand (The Chronicles of Corum)
The Bull and the Spear
The Oak and the Ram
The Sword and the Stallion

Gordon
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello.If i remember right all the" Eternal Champion "characters had swords that were detrimental to thier health,cursed,and not at all nice.But then none of Micheal MoorCocks characters were,nice guy`s, eather.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
My favorites (of the "Eternal Champion" books) were the "Corum" series

Corum: The Coming of Chaos (The Swords Trilogy) (The Swords of Corum) (Corum)
The Knight of the Swords
The Queen of the Swords
The King of the Swords

The Prince with the Silver Hand (The Chronicles of Corum)
The Bull and the Spear
The Oak and the Ram
The Sword and the Stallion

Gordon

I'm with Gordon. Corum was by far my favorite of the Eternal Champion incarnations.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of the Eternal Champion books, Elric and Corum were by far my faves, but I still enjoyed the Erekose and the Hawkmoon series. Mostly dark and depressing with no happy ending...very Irish. Maybe that's why I liked it! Wink

Moorcock hadn't written the Fortress of the Pearl or The Revenge of the Rose when I read through the original 6 books of the series. I still haven't read The Revenge of the Rose.

I particularly liked how there were crossover stories in each of the series when the Champions met from the individual perspectives.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello.I also read these books ,way-back-when.If I remember right,Elric was part of Micheal Moorcocks" Eternal Champion "series.There where several other heroes in this group,the only names that comes to mind though are Elric of Melnibone,and Count brass.There was one book, though, that had a Frazetta cover ,of a barbarian in a chariot, drawn by polar bears.I cant recall, the character`s name, but I do remember liking the story. Just my two penny`s.

Urlik Skarsol

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: I think         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Andy Bain wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that Moorcock worked with BOC on a project. So, that is probably it.

BOC did a number of songs based on books by Moorcock. 'Black Blade' was one, as was 'Veteran of the Psychic Wars'. I'd cruise through my BOC CD collection to create a list, but it's all packed for my move to Wisconsin.

Cheers!

-- Carl Croushore
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: My favorite         Reply with quote

was The Eternal Champion, where the character who is all of these folks (Elric, Count Brass, Dorian Hawkmoon, etc.) named Erekose, is called from a mundane incarnation to settle a war between "humans" and an elder race... I don't think that the sword had a name in that one, just referred to as "the poison sword"... the sequel was "The Silver Warriors" (which is the one with the Frazetta cover of the polar bear chariot)...

I read it when I was young (between 8 and 10 as I recall)...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:

Hey thanks Anton

Thank YOU for bringing this up. I'm going to re-read those books as well, and I bet this post has many others do the same. Thanks again Eric. Happy
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is probably a silly question and has already been done but, has there ever been a fantasy sword made exactly like Elric's Strombringer with the claymore quillons, black blade and red runes?

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
This is probably a silly question and has already been done but, has there ever been a fantasy sword made exactly like Elric's Strombringer with the claymore quillons, black blade and red runes?

Bill

Raven Armoury does a Stormbringer, but to my knowledge, there is neither an exact copy of Whelan's version or Robert Gould's version of the sword.

I talked to Michael Moorcock about doing one a year or so ago -- he was interested in having the Gould version done. Under our Frazetta contract, we are doing the one from the cover of "Silver Warriors" (the blade is designed, but we are working on the hilt right now.)

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I think         Reply with quote

Carl Croushore wrote:
Eric McHugh wrote:
Andy Bain wrote:

BOC did a number of songs based on books by Moorcock. 'Black Blade' was one, as was 'Veteran of the Psychic Wars'. I'd cruise through my BOC CD collection to create a list, but it's all packed for my move to Wisconsin.

Cheers!

Moorcock himself wrote the lyrics to at least "Black Blade" and "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"; "The Great Sun Jester", too, IIRC.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I think         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Carl Croushore wrote:
Eric McHugh wrote:
Andy Bain wrote:

Cheers!

Moorcock himself wrote the lyrics to at least "Black Blade" and "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"; "The Great Sun Jester", too, IIRC.

I didn't know that Veteran of the Psychic Wars was written by Moorcock, or Black Blade for that matter. And I had never associated Veteran... with the Moorcock books. It's cool learning about stuff like this.

And The Great Sun Jester is my favourite song off of the Mirrors CD. Am I safe in assuming it ties in with the Eternal Champion theme as well?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Elric/Michael Moorcock Question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic