Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval low boots from Revival Clothing. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Medieval low boots from Revival Clothing.         Reply with quote

I recently ordered a pair of these boots from Revival Clothing, and they arrived last week while I was away in Atlanta. Footwear has always been one of the hardest elements to recreate in medieval clothing. In years past it was typical to see people at events who had spent much time and effort on their clothing only to ruin the effect with a pair of contemporary mocasin boots. Consequently, it's nice to see items like this in production. According to the attached tag these boots are made in Pakistan.

I ordered a pair in dark brown and the color is very attractive and even. The leather is of a good weight and should be reasonably durable for the intended use.

The hard leather soles are nailed into place and should be able to be replaced by a local cobbler when the need arrizes. The soles are very smooth intially and I found myself sliding around on the carpet quite a bit. Once the soles are scuffed a bit from use the Dorthy Hamill affect should diminish.

Not a bad purchase all in all.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The thing that always freaks me out about ordering footwear is size: you never know whether they run big or small, and most places like this sell only whole sizes. So, what size do normally wear, and what size are your new boots? How do they fit? Happy
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
The thing that always freaks me out about ordering footwear is size: you never know whether they run big or small, and most places like this sell only whole sizes. So, what size do normally wear, and what size are your new boots? How do they fit? Happy

I normally wear a size 9 1/2 and ordered a size 10. These fit fairly well on my bare feet. With a pair of wool socks or hosen they should fit fine. I had e-mailed Revival Clothing and asked if they recommended a size larger or smaller. I never heard from them so I guessed and went a size larger.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott H. : Well, I bought size 10 from Revival Clothing and they fit well with a little extra space due to their being " pointy " shoes. I usually get size 10 or 9 1/2 for regular shoes. ( If this helps )

They are low booth like, althought they are described as shoes as far as I can see.

Very comfortable and I fixed the slippery nature of the soles by going down to my cement basement and dragging my feet for a few minutes. They should be easy to repair by a traditional shoe cobbler and if worn only for special event outdoors and indoors they should last a long time. If you go jogging for 10k every day " NOT so much " Razz

I actually find these very comfortable an use them at home like slippers. If they wear out I will get them repaired or just buy another pair. Might be tempted by their high booth but will have to check if they are sized for 17" calves and 24" thighs near the knee. ( Not chicken legs Big Grin )

A BIT OFF THIS TOPIC:
Oh, I'm getting Liners made up for a few helms by Allan Senefelder: I think he made a couple for you recently ?
The only thing is that I will have to install them myself, either contact cement or contact cement & rivets if I learn how to do a decent job of riveting and peening. ( Might used 5 minute epoxy instead, not sure yet if this would be a good idea ? Glue a small section to anchor positioning then glue the rest: Not something you want glued at the wrong place ! )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good for you, Patrick! I've worn some of these, and they're great. They also make a good pair of boots that I've looked at, though not worn around. I think Jean Thibodeau bought a pair of those boots, and has been pretty happy with them.

Cheers,

Gordon

Edit: Well, looks like Jean did, after all!

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott H. : A BIT OFF THIS TOPIC:
Oh, I'm getting Liners made up for a few helms by Allan Senefelder: I think he made a couple for you recently ?
The only thing is that I will have to install them myself, either contact cement or contact cement & rivets if I learn how to do a decent job of riveting and peening. ( Might used 5 minute epoxy instead, not sure yet if this would be a good idea ? Glue a small section to anchor positioning then glue the rest: Not something you want glued at the wrong place ! )

Looks like I'll be going for a size 11, as I usually wear a 10.5. Thanks to all for the info. As far as helmet liners, that was Scott H., not me (G. Scott H.), though I was involved in the thread regarding Mr. Senefelder's helmet liners a while back. D'oh! I knew the similarity between Scott H. and G. Scott H. would eventually cause some confusion. Laughing Out Loud Jean, I assume you intend to line some of those helms you bought at the Moat Sale? Good luck, and let me know how they turn out, since I am going to use one of Mr. S's liners in an MRL sugarloaf. Happy

Oh, and as to the boots, are the soles really stiff, or do they have a fair amount of "give" to them?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OOOOOOPS: As if I didn't have enough trouble keeping people strait in my mind as I have a very lousy memory for names Surprised Eek! Laughing Out Loud

I would say the soles are more on the give side than stiff, something like 3/8 " thick. Would never have described them as stiff if you had not mentioned it. COMFY come to mind when I wear them. ( More comfortable than modern shoes, no breaking in or blisters involved ! )

The rest of the shoes are supple but not too thin leather.

One of my Helms is a sugar loaf. Don't know yet how long before I get the liners yet. ( Still I figure some sort of learning curve involved installing the liners properly: I assume I will E-mail or phone Allan for advice. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I would say the soles are more on the give side than stiff, something like 3/8 " thick. Would never have described them as stiff if you had not mentioned it. COMFY come to mind when I wear them. ( More comfortable than modern shoes, no breaking in or blisters involved ! )

The rest of the shoes are supple but not too thin leather.

I agree with this assesment.

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, man has time been slipping... I need to get on the stick and order a pair of these as well as the tall boots.

I appreciate the continued discussion of these boots. It'll make me a lot more comfortable "taking the plunge".My past cobbling experiences were obnoxioius, and marginally successful.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval low boots from Revival Clothing.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic