Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)         Reply with quote

I just handled the SWEET Albion blades at the Blade show...

They went and made my Del Tins heavy!

My Del Tins used to be light, like a feather, but somehow, the minute I picked up an Albion, the Del Tins gained weight!

How did that happen?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania

Last edited by George Hill on Sat 04 Jun, 2005 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin Welcome to the world of better balance, i guess you hold it little more then around a minute,
long time enough for your brain to get data about something better it likes,
that happend to me to when i get my SL Viking Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion made my Del Tin heavy!         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

You just had to rub it in for those of us NOT at the show, didn't ya?! Mad Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Patrik, good link to the SL Viking. Beautiful! Happy
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, As long as I'm rubbing it in, I can't leave out meeting Micheal Tinker Peirce, Vince Evens, and getting a look at their work. Gorgous.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Oh, As long as I'm rubbing it in, I can't leave out meeting Micheal Tinker Peirce, Vince Evens, and getting a look at their work. Gorgous.

But did you get pictures?

AND

Most importantly, what did you get to handle?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
George Hill wrote:

But did you get pictures?

AND

Most importantly, what did you get to handle?

I get the feeling come next week we're gonna be treated to more pictures than we can handle. Eek! Cool Happy
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No pictures from me.

I got to handle several tinker blades, but I can't say which ones. They felt very good. He had a varient on a scottish dirk I liked well, but was too pricey. Not one of his though, someone else at his booth. He has several swords, but as I said, I can't ID them, since his web presence sucks. He told me he's working to improve it, and we can expect a new web page from him in the near future.

For Albion, I handled the Crecy, The Spadona, the Svante, the Solingen, the squire, the knight, the squireline-great sword, the prince, the.... I think the The Constable... not sure on that one.

Also the Sovereign, which really isn't my style so much as that GORGOUS Next Gen Squire, but I would say that it's prettier in person then on the web site, and feels GREAT in the hand.

Also both Conan swords, which look great but feel like a sack of bricks.

Oh, I handled a few other Albions, but I can't ID them. One was a Viking that felt point heavy TO ME, but then, I don't handle many Viking blades, and I just plain prefer the feeling of the pointy ones, like the Squire.

Cold Steel's Small Sword was very nice. A little short compared to what I'm used to, and not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but like a FEATHER. Their halberd head was there. IT's not very pretty, but looks like it could take a great deal of abuse, provided the shaft was well attached. They were giving away demo dvds. The cold steel basket hilt felt clunky, their 1916? cutlass was damn heavy. Accurete? I can't say. Just heavy, ESPECIALLY after Albion.

CAS Ibeira has a set of main gauches coming out soon, but isn't in the catalog yet due to a lack of inventory. I handled one, and it's nice. they suggest a price around a hunderd give or take, which isn't really bad considering the current market prices.

Of course, there was a good number of Japanese blades at the show, but who cares about that? Wink

[/i]

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

My Del Tins used to be light, like a feather, but somehow, the minute I picked up an Albion, the Del Tins gained weight!

How did that happen?

How did it happen? This one is really easy.

Albion didn't affect the Del Tin in any way, as the thread title suggests. Perhaps a better title would be "Neat, I learned about blade properties when I handled a properly executed sword".

The Del Tin is still exactly the Del Tin it has always been, just the same as Fuelvo intended it to be.... a nice piece (aesthetically as well as affordability) that appears like a period piece, but they aren't profiled and tapered like one. Albion, on the other hand, does properly address these particulars like mass distribution, harmonics, profile, taper... Oh, and they do this on each piece put out, and they are all very different from one another.

Since the thread title calls Albion by name, I'll pick on a couple of their pieces. Take the Svante. Rigid, hollow ground, diamond cross section, hand and a half, brutal thrust, outstanding point control. The point of rotation of this piece is literally very close to the tip, and the mass distribution pulls the CoG close to the cross. Exceedingly nimble sword. That's how it is intended, as thats how the original was. Now, take the Gotland. Point of rotation is down the blade a ways, and the CoG is further out. This, in comparison to the Svante, makes it feel point-heavy. This combination helps it perform it's intended purpose quite well - cutting. Will the Svante cut? I'm sure. Will the Gotland thrust? Yeah, but not with the liveliness of the Svante. But in each case, those were secondary uses as they were intended. These properties define how a sword handles. Only by hands-on with a piece will you be able to test (and thereby confirm or refute) your expectations of what these things do, what they are good at, and what they aren't as good at. I handled every piece at the Albion booth. Some met my expectations. Some surprised me. (The Svante kicks butt, let me tell you. Like the Crecy, too... neat piece)

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
George Hill wrote:

How did that happen?

How did it happen? This one is really easy.

Albion didn't affect the Del Tin in any way, as the thread title suggests. Perhaps a better title would be "Neat, I learned about blade properties when I handled a properly executed sword".

The Del Tin is still exactly the Del Tin it has always been, just the same as Fuelvo intended it to be.... a nice piece (aesthetically as well as affordability) that appears like a period piece, but they aren't profiled and tapered like one. Albion, on the other hand, does properly address these particulars like mass distribution, harmonics, profile, taper... Oh, and they do this on each piece put out, and they are all very different from one another.

Oh no! I've figured it out.

Albion, (The sneaky fellows!) KNEW I would try their blades, and wanted my Del Tins to feel heavy......soo.......

They have been sneaking into my house 'ninja style' for months, and have been somehow 'adding material' to my Del Tin Blades. They KNEW I'd handle their blades, and they wanted my del tins to feel heavy... so they have been adding material to my Del Tins for WEEKS ON END! Sneaky fellows aren't they?

This MUST be the case.
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud No George, not Ninjas, they have hire Patrick K Irish boyos shadows for that sort of work,
then Mike let you handle a high polish aluminium sword, thats how they do it Laughing Out Loud Big Grin Wink

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, that must be the reason why my waist has been growing too.

Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Oh no! I've figured it out.

Albion, (The sneaky fellows!) KNEW I would try their blades, and wanted my Del Tins to feel heavy......soo.......

They have been sneaking into my house 'ninja style' for months, and have been somehow 'adding material' to my Del Tin Blades. They KNEW I'd handle their blades, and they wanted my del tins to feel heavy... so they have been adding material to my Del Tins for WEEKS ON END! Sneaky fellows aren't they?

This MUST be the case.
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

WTF?!

I stand corrected. I now clearly realize the thread should actually have been named "I missed an opportunity to learn a whole lot about the handling, design, and performance of period weapons."

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I stand corrected. I now clearly realize the thread should actually have been named "I missed an opportunity to learn a whole lot about the handling, design, and performance of period weapons."

On a serious note, it really makes you wonder how much of that lightness was the extra material removed to make the blade sharp. If I took a grinder, and sharpened my Del Tins to the point of the Albion blades....

They still might not have the super balance, but how much lighter would they feel in the hand?

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
On a serious note, it really makes you wonder how much of that lightness was the extra material removed to make the blade sharp. If I took a grinder, and sharpened my Del Tins to the point of the Albion blades....

They still might not have the super balance, but how much lighter would they feel in the hand?

Who knows. Possibly a touch lighter... the removal of material past the original CoG would bring the CoG towards the cross, maybe making the blade feel slightly livelier. This in no way guarantees ANY improvement in the performance of the blade. No consideration of mass distribution, node placement, profile and taper... Different edge geometries and degree of sharpness were also an issue. Since these things weren't thoroughly considered in the first place, no telling if they could ever be placed.

They're just a wee bit more complex than just a steel bar that's had an edge randomly thrown on. There are already a lot of threads, features, and reviews that go into this subject here on this site.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I need to look them up. What would be good search terms?
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
mass distribution, node placement, profile and taper

hey George...try any of these...also take a look in the features section of this site...lots of great info! Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion made my Del Tin heavy! (blade show report)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic