Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movies you`d like to see made. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Movies you`d like to see made.         Reply with quote

Hello.With the winding up of, The lord of the Rings, trilogy and the release of,The Kingdom of HeavenAnd the upcomeing of Beowulf.I was interested to hear what other, sword-ish,movies you`d like seen made.If they could find the right cast, I`d like to see Fritz Lieber`s,Grey Mouser and Fafhrd,Made.Or Edgar Rice Burroughs,John Cater of Mars.How could you go wrong with, big breasted, red skined ,martian women.Any thoughts?Thanks
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see a Wars of the Roses epic...but not by Ridley Scott! Eek!
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: The Winter KIng         Reply with quote

No doubt about, I would love to see Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles brought to life. Of course, that is assuming it was done well and with a great cast. Happy It would be great to "meet" Derfel Cadarn on the big screen. Wink
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see a good film about Vercingetorix, leader of the Gauls who took on the Romans in 52B.C.
Constant and true.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see a film that shows the events leading up to the Norman Conquest. Show how the exiled Duke of Northumberland seeks refuge and help from Swedish king Harald and the Battle of Stamford Bridge. While all this is going on, our lead character (William of Normandy -- played by Liam Neeson Big Grin ) sails across the channel. The battle at Hastings would be the climax. Whatta ya think?

Let's see. How about a movie about the Black Prince? Show the victory he shared with his father (Edward III) at Crecy and his own at Poitiers. Who could play the Black Prince??

Oh, how about this: a TV series of the Canturbury Tales. Each of the Tales would comprise one episode. I don't remember off the top of my head how many of the tales Chaucer finished (or how many survive today), but I think everyone's favorite would be the Miller's Tale Laughing Out Loud .

Anyone else? Good topic. Exclamation

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I'd like to see a film that shows the events leading up to the Norman Conquest. Show how the exiled Duke of Northumberland seeks refuge and help from Swedish king Harald and the Battle of Stamford Bridge. While all this is going on, our lead character (William of Normandy -- played by Liam Neeson Big Grin ) sails across the channel. The battle at Hastings would be the climax. Whatta ya think?

Let's see. How about a movie about the Black Prince? Show the victory he shared with his father (Edward III) at Crecy and his own at Poitiers. Who could play the Black Prince??

Oh, how about this: a TV series of the Canturbury Tales. Each of the Tales would comprise one episode. I don't remember off the top of my head how many of the tales Chaucer finished (or how many survive today), but I think everyone's favorite would be the Miller's Tale Laughing Out Loud .

Anyone else? Good topic. Exclamation

I'll second that.

I'd also like to see something on Attila and the Huns taking on the Romans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’m probably in the minority here, but I’d actually like Hollywood to stop making movies about things that I love until they learn to do it without presenting us with violated and gutted husks of what were once beautiful and sacred stories. Obviously, an epic poem or sweeping historical narrative isn’t going to translate perfectly onto the silver screen, but the degree of disrespect that film makers of today show for their subject matter amounts to nothing less than a blasphemous mockery of our historical and literary traditions. Sure, there are several great stories I'd love to see in the theatre, but I've already given Hollywood too much money to piss me off. I can be pissed off on my own for free. And I can use the money I save to buy books!

The tragic thing is that visually, many of these movies are stunning. It would have required minimal effort on the part of film producers to go that extra tiny step and stay at least partially true to the story, or at least to the spirit of the story. But, no. I guess that’s just too much to ask. Troy was the last straw for me. If that's really the best they can do, Hollywood can break off of California and slide into the sea for all I care.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’d actually like Hollywood to stop making movies about things that I love until they learn to do it without presenting us with violated and gutted husks of what were once beautiful and sacred stories. ....

Well - Hollywood no - but maybe somewhere else - Peter Jackson showed that Hollywood is not necessarily the end all of movies. I'm hoping that the commericial success of LOTR allows some more exploration of historic and fantasy movies that may have been shut down in the past..

So many topics - a War of the Rose epic would be nice...

Gordon
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something with me in the lead role earning obscene cash and cavorting with swimsuit models!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults stars in...

Lifeguard Swordsman

Rescuing beautiful beach bunnies by day...
Fighting crime with cold steel by night...

COMING SOON!

Eek! Razz

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see George R. R. Martin's shorter novels made into movies. "Skin Trade" and "Fevre Dream" are two of the scariest things I have ever read and would translate beautifully into film. For Skin Trade you have the dark, drizzling noir metropolis, and for Fevre Dream you have the rich, surreal backdrop of the 19th century Mississippi river trade. "The Hedge Knight" would be good too, but it may be a little too close to the plot of "A Knight's Tale".
Nate C.

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Joe Fults stars in...

Lifeguard Swordsman

Eek! Razz

I see your Eek! Razz and raise you a WTF?! ..... Big Grin

All joking aside I'd love to see a remake of Scaramouche that is true to the book [swordplay, murder, swordplay, intrigue, swordplay, startling revelations, etc. Razz ]. A "three musketeers" that's closer to the book and has decent acting/sound. And of course, a live action movie of T.H. White's "sword in the stone" [it's the only part of OAFK that's worth the effort IMHO {Mave = icky}].

That's about all I can think of. I don't read much fantasy stuff being more of a mystery reader myself.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
David Lannon

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Movie Ideas         Reply with quote

How about Gemmel's Legend or Deathwalker

David Eddings Belgariad

George RR Martin's Fire & Ice would be great....but it would be a cast of thousands (half of whom die off) That is if the series is actually finished in my lifetime!!!!!

Cheers

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see something based upon the George Macdonald Fraser book "The Steele Bonnets", on life on the Scots-English Borders in the 16th Century. Basically you take something like "Serpico", "The Godfather" or "The Soprano's", rename the the characters to "Riding Names" like Graham, Scott, Elliot, Armstrong etc., give them swords, spears, wheellocks and horses instead of shotguns, auto-pistols and automobiles, and use torches rather than gasoline for your arson jobs. And no cops to interfere with the fun, but international conflict as a side-effect and cause.

Come to think of it, "Tombstone" could be remade into "Carlisle" or something like that. Hmmm...

Patrick Stewart (hard as nails) as "Little Jock" Elliot? Ewan McGregor (earnest young gentleman) as Robert Carey? Harrison Ford (lovable rogue) as Kinmont Willie Armstrong? Alec Baldwin as someone who gets hanged? Big Grin

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ANYTHING

As long as it doesn’t destroy history… i.e. ...make it simplistically stupid, accurately portrays real combat, and the characters aren’t distorted by modern mindsets, ideals, and sensibilities. I don’t care from what period it comes from! I just would like to see something do history justice. Yes, some creative liberties will be taken (in this, the best film ever) but not at the cost of cheapening history and the people who lived it! I would like to think this caliber of film could be made, someday, but I know it won't ever happen as long as Hollywood gives us Hollywood. Cry

Perhaps if made as an indie film, and financed by a billionaire.....Nah, I just ask for to much!
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool
Any of the David Gemmel Drenai books would be great,
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One based on Michael Moorcock's "Elric" saga would be cool, (if done correctly). It's the series of books that grabbed my interest in swords, some 20 yrs ago.

Bill

Attachment: 49.36 KB
elric.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
I'd love to see a good film about Vercingetorix, leader of the Gauls who took on the Romans in 52B.C.

Let me fulfill this dream Jay, but i don't know if it's a good movie... maybe...

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000069...73-1922554

I havened seen it yet, but i will order it and see it some day...
Folkert

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Sigurd Joralfar Crusader movie...
12th century norwegians go crusading, with longships and big effin' axes...

Crouching Knight, Hidden Huscarl;
The Knight-Foo movie Big Grin

The Mac'trix:
Novus wakes up one day, and finds out that the world he thought was real is really a Illuminated codex.
or
The Big Macejowski:
The Carl is a slacy serf. His best friend thinks he is stil in the crusades. All the Carl wants is to win the cabage throwing games at the next faire, but one day a couple of Vilains show up at his cottage and pee on his cape...

Egil Skallagrimson saga
directed by Quentin Tarantino....

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:

This comment reminds me - there was a movie or mini-series recently about Julius Caesar. I was on a business trip, and only saw a couple of scenes. The one scene that I recall was the surrender of Vercingetorix. Actors that I recall were Jeremy Sisto in the role of J.C. Christopher Walken also, I think, had a part. Anybody else remember this film? And is it worth renting?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movies you`d like to see made.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: