Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Scottish dirks Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
Does vince have a website he sells from? i did a search and couldnt find anything...I'd really love a Vince Evans piece in my collection eventually!!! Cool

Robert, do you know that we have a links page?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.arscives.com/vevans/default.htm

Cant help you on the sales portion,i'm still hoping an available section might be added as and when, Cool
Big Grin Nathan beat me to it,with a better post,
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my armour class dirk, it shows that its not custom...like say a Vince Evans piece, but none the less a nice sharp blade. I'll do better pictures on the weekend when i have light, and make a review up.

Attachment: 24.87 KB
acdirk.JPG

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice!
If that was my durk, I would probably be boasting to everyone... hehe
How much approx did you have to give for it? I am thinking about getting an AC durk myself, but I need to know how much I'll have to save up...

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
How much approx did you have to give for it? I am thinking about getting an AC durk myself, but I need to know how much I'll have to save up...

Henrik, Armour Class lists basic pricing on their website (200 pounds). Since the grips are basically custom-made, I'd contact them for exact pricing.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
http://www.arscives.com/vevans/default.htm

Cant help you on the sales portion,i'm still hoping an available section might be added as and when, Cool
Big Grin Nathan beat me to it,with a better post,

Hi Lee

Although that is Vince's "professional" (official) site (which gives the world a good idea of who & what he does) he tends to use his PictureTrail site for quick updates, news, and to list anything he wishes to sell, as the other site requires someone with alot more computer skills to change things !
So be sure and check http://www.picturetrail.com/vevans, as that is where the updates tend to happen !

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,
Thanks for the info on the update page,i had the available section on as a favourite from when you posted vince's details but never think to check the other sections Blush
Shared a couple of emails too,vince's work reflects how he comes across,a real quality chap, Cool
i was mainly checking in on his site and here for updates, Big Grin and asked to be left on his notification list if a specific type takes his fancy to make anytime in the future,
Beginning to think i might have to ask you to go on your list too as you update and maybe let an odd one slip out, Wink Laughing Out Loud
Cheers.

Cool pics Ben, Cool

Congrats Robert that looks a nice addition to a collection,i'l look forward to your thoughts, Big Grin
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

heres a better picture folks...I will be doing a full review and Nathan has shown me the guide lines for such so it can go into the myArmoury review section. I'm going to have to get it done in the next 3 days though because i leave for the US then. Happy

I do recommend however those wanting a production dirk that armour class's dirk is quite well made with a good heat treat.

*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Robert, it looks like a good sturdy dirk.

You've made me consider getting one too, as a nice companion piece for when my Armourclass Cup And Ring Baskethilt gets here. Happy

Is the sheath an option, or standard??
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a sheath with mine Big Grin

Attachment: 76.13 KB
dirk4.jpg

*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some more:

Horn-hilted dirk by Tod's Stuff

Dirk by Vince Evans

Dirk by Tinker

Another dirk by Tinker

Anyone else who wants to add theirs to the thread, feel free. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two Scottish dirks made by Vince Evans that I once owned and had to sell due to the fiscal realities that hit us all from time to time. I do miss these pieces quite a bit and often look back at the photos.

Vince Evans Scottish Dirk
Inspired by an original located at Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow, Scotland

Vince Evans early Scottish Dirk
Loosely inspired by a piece in the reserve collection of the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh

And below are two additional Vince Evans dirks I've photographed recently.

Attachment: 56.41 KB
ve_dirks.jpg
Two Scottish dirks made by Vince Evans

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The top dirk, in the bottom photo, looks almost exactly like the dirk in Vince's photo CD. However, it has two pins retaining the reinforcing strip on the haunce and the dirk on the CD, I believe, only has one pin with the strip extending under the binding on the bottom of the hilt.

The guy certainly builds beautiful dirks.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's mine.
I got this a long while ago, when I didn't know much about 'autenticity' or 'research' and instead left it up to a custom knife maker. I spent quite a large sum on it to, and whilst happy for a time, more recently I've become disatisfied with it, and think in future I'll sell it on and get another one based more accurately on surviving pieces.
Though I do think I need a targe now! Big Grin

Attachment: 137.92 KB
Pic_0808_056.jpg
Bask in my poor photography skills!

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
The top dirk, in the bottom photo, looks almost exactly like the dirk in Vince's photo CD. However, it has two pins retaining the reinforcing strip on the haunce and the dirk on the CD, I believe, only has one pin with the strip extending under the binding on the bottom of the hilt..

If you look closely at the mid part of the grip, it appears to be one continuous section of knot-work. The dirk in the photo CD is done with two separate bands if knot-work like the dirk at the bottom of the photo (which appears to be more common based on the originals I have seen). The grip on the dirk above also tapers quite a bit from the base to the pommel.

I wonder if the two dirks above are based on particular originals. The bottom dirk in particular is so a-typical of the dirks Vince makes, it would lead me to believe he was copying an original piece for that one.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus

Last edited by Chris Goerner on Sun 08 Aug, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
If you look closely at the mid part of the grip, it appears to be one continuous section of knot-work. The dirk in the photo CD is done with two separate bands if knot-work like the dirk at the bottom of the photo (which appears to be more common based on the originals I have seen). The grip on the dirl above also tapers quite a bit from the base to the pommel.

I wonder if the two dirks above are based on particular originals. The bottom dirk in particular is so a-typical of the dirks Vince makes, it would lead me to believe he was copying an original piece for that one.

Chris

Right you are Chris. I see that very clearly now.

I believe that Vince does base some of his work on originals but, quite frankly, what he does seems to be far more ornate and better made than the originals. The Armour Class dirks pictured in this thread look more like some of the antiques I have seen. Yes, I agree that the bottom dirk is probably more like an original and may have been copied from one.

I just love his dirks, plan and simple. What a great craftsman he is and also so generous to make his techniques available to the rest of us. Of course the CD says that his wife does the carving. Is that some or all of the carving? Somewhere, perhaps on his web site, I once saw a photo of her burning in the lines on the interlace.

I still have a few questions from looking at the CD and will probably send him a PM. I doubt we should use the forum for that, unless the adminstrators bless it.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
I still have a few questions from looking at the CD and will probably send him a PM. I doubt we should use the forum for that, unless the adminstrators bless it.

Lin,

If you try your hand at carving a dirk grip, please be sure to post photos and give us your impressions of the process.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
If you look closely at the mid part of the grip, it appears to be one continuous section of knot-work. The dirk in the photo CD is done with two separate bands if knot-work like the dirk at the bottom of the photo (which appears to be more common based on the originals I have seen). The grip on the dirl above also tapers quite a bit from the base to the pommel.

There is a lot of variety to be found in antique dirks.

Attached are examples of other dirks made by Vince Evans. Note that the first one has a similar pattern of knot-work on the haunches as the dirk in my photograph that you're discussing. And these photos show variety in the mid-section, too, with variations that seem to be, as you say, two separate bands or some that are single-bands. Neat stuff.

Attachment: 99.44 KB
VE dirk hh.jpg
Scottish Dirk by Vince Evans

Attachment: 90.54 KB
ve dirk ch.jpg

Attachment: 98.37 KB
veDirkHilt.jpg

Attachment: 51.62 KB
VE dirk.JPG

Attachment: 112.67 KB
VE dirk 2.JPG

Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
There is a lot of variety to be found in antique dirks.

How true! Especially when you compare dirks from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

I should have been more clear with my comment about the double bands of knotwork being "common". I meant that comment to only apply to the early 18th century dirks I have seen, as the two examples in the referenced photo would be representative of that period. It would certainly not be true for 17th, late 18th or 19th century dirks I have seen.

While I am at it, I should also add that I have seen examples of early 18th century dirks carved with a single continuous section of knotwork just as is shown in the example of the top dirk. So, while I have not seen as many examples of that carving pattern, they are certainly out there... along with many other variations.

I am very impressed with the great variety of grips Vince and Grace have produced over the years. Great to see all these photos of their work!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus

Last edited by Chris Goerner on Sun 08 Aug, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the two VE dirks in my care -- one mounted in german silver, the other in antiqued brass.

Attachment: 115.81 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 117.16 KB
[ Download ]

Sic Semper Tyranus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Scottish dirks
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: