Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Ever think about working at Albion? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Lloyd Clark

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will Joust for Store Credit Big Grin !

My degrees are in journalism, political science, and medieval history - not very condusive to your line of work Sad

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: store credit!         Reply with quote

STORE CREDIT?!! Heck, I'd PAY for store credit! Oh,... wait... WTF?!

Big Grin
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Deancona wrote:
Hi Howy,
Have you considered hiring a higher number of less experienced apprentices and training them the way you want them trained? The reason I say this is from some experience myself. Twenty five years ago I was an apprentice machinist. Got paid next to nothing for 18+ months, but by the end of month 6 there was no difference between my skills and the journeymen. Plus the people you train at Albion don't have any "baggage" on how to do something; and as Albion expands to bigger and better things you guys have a larger team already in place and ready for the next round of apprentice hiring... Ray

Hey Ray!

At some point, that will probably be the plan... but currently, we have so few trained craftspeople and so many orders that sheer time is our problem -- training involves losing at least one skilled person for every hour of training given to a new person, and with a staff as small as we have now, that would cut our current production in half. At this juncture, we need folks who can hit the ground running... Not to say that their won't be a lot of training still, but it will be on the fly and on the job...

Longer term, we will need to start dedicating someone to training new folks but at the moment we don't have anyone to spare.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah!

But alas I live in Sweden!

But I´ve got an idea working in my mind. My good friend Joachim Nilsson and I has talked alot about it and he has mensioned it to Peter J who I intend to talk to first, and he may talk to you folks about it. (No, I will not spill the Idea here and have sombody beat me to it... hehe)

Martin, with a evil grin and dollarsigns in his eyes...

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Thomas Bengston

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know if you could use me Howie,

Although my schooling is in art, I worked 13 years as a machinist, 5 of which as a tool and die maker for Black Diamond Climbing Equipment using Surfcam and IDeas to run toolpaths and edit programs on vertical milling machines using fanuc controllers.
Did fixturing, prototyping, programing and all those wonderful things working in 4130 spring steel, A2, A6, S7 tooling steels used to form 7075 T6 aluminum..........

Have done a lot of work on Bridgeport vertical hand mills (don't like lathes).

Interested in 3D modeling in Solidworks.....ain't got there yet....

Recieved the once coveted MCSE from Microsoft and worked as a network administrator for another five years.
Very computer literate. Carve wood as a hobby....

Born and raised in Wisconsin and started climbing in the Devils Lake area in the late 70's, didn't leave until 1991.
Hold on to my sword and beer as if it were the last one (a Wisconsin thing, you wouldn't understand).
Went to a few parties held by the New Glarus based Apparitions Motorcycle club.....and still bitch about the Packers....
.......Can make a world class batch of bratwurst that could start a business of it's own......heh heh....

...............did I mention "bitch about the Packers"............?

....jag älskar mina svärd...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Bengston wrote:
I don't know if you could use me Howie,

Although my schooling is in art, I worked 13 years as a machinist, 5 of which as a tool and die maker for Black Diamond Climbing Equipment using Surfcam and IDeas to run toolpaths and edit programs on vertical milling machines using fanuc controllers.
Did fixturing, prototyping, programing and all those wonderful things working in 4130 spring steel, A2, A6, S7 tooling steels used to form 7075 T6 aluminum..........

Have done a lot of work on Bridgeport vertical hand mills (don't like lathes).

Interested in 3D modeling in Solidworks.....ain't got there yet....

Recieved the once coveted MCSE from Microsoft and worked as a network administrator for another five years.
Very computer literate. Carve wood as a hobby....

Born and raised in Wisconsin and started climbing in the Devils Lake area in the late 70's, didn't leave until 1991.
Hold on to my sword and beer as if it were the last one (a Wisconsin thing, you wouldn't understand).
Went to a few parties held by the New Glarus based Apparitions Motorcycle club.....and still bitch about the Packers....
.......Can make a world class batch of bratwurst that could start a business of it's own......heh heh....

...............did I mention "bitch about the Packers"............?

Hey Tom!

If you are in any way serious, give Mike a call and chat...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Tony Shillingford

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could you use anyone from an Automotive background? Working at Aston Martin design centre right now, but I'd drop that in a blink to work on swords!!! Laughing Out Loud
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony Shillingford wrote:
Could you use anyone from an Automotive background? Working at Aston Martin design centre right now, but I'd drop that in a blink to work on swords!!! Laughing Out Loud

Oooo! Aston Martin. I was a car nut long, long before I was a sword nut. Are you at Newport Pagnell? I think it would be pretty cool to work there! Can't afford the cars though. I suppose I could sell my house. My daughter (who lives in York) is a particular Aston Martin nut.
Tony Shillingford

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm currently based at Gaydon, the new Aston Martin design facility. Its quite something to work there I have to admit! however, I'd trade my CAD terminal for a hammer and anvil any day of the week!! Big Grin
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony Shillingford wrote:
I'm currently based at Gaydon, the new Aston Martin design facility. Its quite something to work there I have to admit! however, I'd trade my CAD terminal for a hammer and anvil any day of the week!! Big Grin

As much as I enjoy swords, my hammer and anvil capabilities could never advance far beyond destructive testing. So, I think that the folks at Albion would much rather that I look elsewhere. A CAD terminal at Aston Marton could be fun, especially if they give a good employee discount on the merchandise! It would be a long commute from Orlando, though.
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes! I'm going to sign up at Albion!

Oh, Wait, I don't know ANYTHING about working with metal. DAMN. There goes that dream.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to work for albion, but my focus would be CNC since i'm an operator on alot of 5 axis verticals like in the albion shop...but i'm not willing to move to that part of the US, would be amazing to work with the dedicated team at albion though. Cool
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, if you guys decide that you ever need a crusty old country lawyer on your staff, look me up!!
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to work at Albion! I'm not sure how to best market myself for the job: I worked in the mental health field for 13+ years; I've been a healthcare statistician / researcher for the past nine years; and a part-time university professor for the last 13 years.

I suppose this qualifies me to analyze your data and present the results to varying audiences. As for the mental health part, well... Mike works there, right? Wink

Best wishes in finding someone!
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
I'd love to work for albion, but my focus would be CNC since i'm an operator on alot of 5 axis verticals like in the albion shop...but i'm not willing to move to that part of the US, would be amazing to work with the dedicated team at albion though. Cool

Gee, Robert, do you think that Wisconsin might not feel quite like the Gold Coast?
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Gee, Robert, do you think that Wisconsin might not feel quite like the Gold Coast?

hahaha nah, i like the cold (and have a distaste for the gold coast)...but where i'm moving to in the US is limited to where my GF (hopefully future wife) can work Wink i'll prolly end up getting my own CNC anyhoo and tinker with something in the sword realm. Big Grin

Applying to try and work with Albion was an idea i had toyed with before 15 months ago (my lifes been focused around metal and mechanical work)...but alot of things can change in that much time.

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Ever think about working at Albion?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: