Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Blade thickness Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Blade thickness         Reply with quote

I just got back from a business trip to Worcester MA. While there, I realized I was staying about 4 miles from the Higgens Armory and made a visit. There are two figures of knights in mock foot combat on the third floor. I studied the hand and a half swords very carefully, without touching, for a good 15 minutes. The actual swords were definately no more than 3/16" thick anywhere, and generally thinner than my Albion Crecy Grete (1st generation.) The profile of the swords and the simple hilt designs are very consistent with the Albion Crecy.

This is consistent with my memories from viewing actual swords in roughly a dozen surviving castles along the Rhine river (about 10 years ago I made a pretty complete circuit from Koblenz to the South as well as a few castles near Luxembourg where I worked for about 4 months.) Although I have not carefully catalogued and measured swords, I would say that hand and a half longswords of German influence where typically not significantly wider than 1.5" at the hilt, generally were slightly under 3 lbs mass, and had profiles very similar to the Albion Crecy. All actual surviving examples that I remember seeing were lenticular cross section and fullers were not particularly deep or significant in width.

Jared Smith
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Higgins Armoury photo's

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: hilt length         Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I also studied hilt length of all of the swords in the Higgens Armory.

Only two swords obviously exceeded the 6-1/2" length hilt length of Albion's Crecy Grete. One was described as a Bearer's Sword (roughly 7' long massive blade on the temporary Shakespearean Exibit on the 2nd floor), described as a non functional sword to be carried along side a king during parade) and another had roughly a 10" long grip on the combat floor. Otherwise, most "hand and a half" swords appeared to have a roughly 5" long grip.

Jared Smith
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Remind me, were the swords in the hands of the mannequins actually orignal pieces or reproductions. As I recall most of the swords on the walls were not antiques.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Remind me, were the swords in the hands of the mannequins actually orignal pieces or reproductions. As I recall most of the swords on the walls were not antiques.

Most swords are antique. there were total of 2-3 European swords on the walls. All were antiques. The ones that the mannequins are holding is another story. I cannot vouch for them.

Jared,
I have spent some time looking at these swords as well, and I do not think that it is fair to compare them to the FG Cresy. One of them (picture bellow) is almost a classic Type XIX. the other one was more like Type XVIII if memory serves me right. Both of these swords hit me as XVth or later swords ( or replicas of such).
Quote:
I would say that hand and a half longswords of German influence where typically not significantly wider than 1.5" at the hilt, generally were slightly under 3 lbs mass, and had profiles very similar to the Albion Crecy. All actual surviving examples that I remember seeing were lenticular cross section and fullers were not particularly deep or significant in width.

This is a generalization that may not hold depending on the time period of interest. I am willing to speculate that before the end of 14th century there would have been many hand and a half swords in germany that were wider than 1.5" at the hilt and also heavier than 3lb. Looking at Records XIIIa5-6, XIIIa.14 look good for such candidates. These are found in Austria or Bohemia, but not necessarily made or used there. Past the end of the 14th c. (and even before that) many swords would have had a mid-rib or a hexagonal cross section (Types XV, XVII, XVII, XVIII and the respective a's). I think these were just as popular in Germany.

Alexi

Attachment: 59.08 KB
DSCF1731.JPG

Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: hilt length         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I forgot to mention that I also studied hilt length of all of the swords in the Higgens Armory.

Only two swords obviously exceeded the 6-1/2" length hilt length of Albion's Crecy Grete. One was described as a Bearer's Sword (roughly 7' long massive blade on the temporary Shakespearean Exibit on the 2nd floor), described as a non functional sword to be carried along side a king during parade) and another had roughly a 10" long grip on the combat floor. Otherwise, most "hand and a half" swords appeared to have a roughly 5" long grip.

Jared Smith

I think you'll find that many of the antiques started at the base in the neighborhood of 3/16 inch. I can think of several that are 4.5 to 5mm thick at the base. But quite a few single handers started as thick as 9mm {not that far under 3/8 inch}, and quite a few longswords start that thick.

Not all later swords either {as far as the thick ones go}, Xa.1 {Records} starts at 9mm thick and distal tapers like heck........while another famous Xa { the Saint Maurice sword of Turin} started at less than 5mm thick at the base {both swords mass roughtly 2lbs 12oz}.........

There's a tremendous variety of geometries, even amongst the same types.........

swords are fun
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: OVergeneralization         Reply with quote

I may have over generalized here. I was somewhat dissapointed by the fact that most of the Higgens collection really emphasizes about 1550 to 1700 time period, and the artistry to which armor making had been elevated at that point. I did enjoy seeing the weights of most complete suits stated at 40 to 60 lbs, with one jousting suit listed at close to 90 lbs. I am more interested in the 1000 to 1350 time frame. I do have to admit that the iron leaf blade dated 1300 to 800 B.C. and the very nicely shaped Corinthian helmet dated around 600 B.C. were fantastic to see in such great condition on the 4th floor balcony.

There is one display of a mounted French crusader wearing chain mail, great helm, leather gloves/boots (appropriate to the time frame that I am interested in), and it holds a sword very similar to the Crecy (thin in cross section as I have suggested may have been more common based on sheer numbers of antique examples) but with a shorter 5" grip. I really only saw a few European swords dated in the 1400's. Obviously the class of armor on display is more appropriate to the highest nobility, rather than the mercenary or more common foot soldier. I had expected that foot soldiers would use single handed sword and shield, while this nobility class would have had more hand and a half type swords for one on one dueling. I was under the impression that texts and illustrations studied by ARMA (I have not read them myself) seem to imply that one on one dueling was a common method of settling legal disputes and grievances, and was often done with a hand and half long sword, unarmored.

Perhaps my concept of medieval combat is inaccurate. I have always assumed it would have begun on horse with lance, or on foot with mace/axe/hammer... After wasting shields and initial weapons, I would assume that the swords would have been a final weapon, and that long reach and two handed use would have been typical during final phases of battle. Anyone have any insight here?
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared,

You're in the ballpark in very general terms in regards to medieval combat, but I would argue against the concept of "wasting shields and initial weapons". Some weapons are used and then discarded, example being a lance after one has made the last possible pass, broken it, or been forcibly removed from the horse. Some weapons may be used (but to clarify, not wasted), example perhaps being an axe driven hard into a wooden shield and left there - the additional mass and unbalancing nature of the thing throwing the shield all but out of the fight.

Specifically, then, my point being to suggest putting the sword and shield in with the "primary weapons" (mace/axe/hammer as suggested) because sword and shield techniques (and by extension, perhaps, shield and [insert other single-handed weapon]) appear to be the bread-and-butter of infantry combat throughout your focus time period. Might I suggest I.33 as an outline to understanding the techniques.

Lastly, might I suggest my humble interpretation in a "common sense" fashion of the closing of a medieval battle. Whatever I have handy, be that sword, dagger, mace, hammer, whatever happens to be lying on the ground next to me, my shield alone, somebody else's equipment, all the way down to my gauntlets and fairly easily removed kettle hat is my weapon of choice. I figure that assuming one survives the initial push and confusion, when it comes to "round peg, square hole" time in combat, I'll make due with whatever "peg" I can get my hands on.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

Most swords are antique. there were total of 2-3 European swords on the walls. All were antiques. The ones that the mannequins are holding is another story. I cannot vouch for them.

Really? I recall the tour guide saying that but it seems like that when I actually started reading about them they mostly said "reproduction." I could be wrong I only went once and it was well over a year ago. I do remember being disappointed by the dearth of swords on display although there were some fascinating pieces of armor.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:

Really? I recall the tour guide saying that but it seems like that when I actually started reading about them they mostly said "reproduction." I could be wrong I only went once and it was well over a year ago. I do remember being disappointed by the dearth of swords on display although there were some fascinating pieces of armor.

Some of the rapiers and renaissance stuff are repros, and so are some of the armour pieces. When I visited there were only 2 European medieval swords on display: the Type XIV that MRL used to reproduce, and a Type XIX on the second floor. Now in addition to these they display few bearing swords which are also antiques. That again says nothing about the swords of the mannequins.

In general you are right though, some of the displays are repros.

Alexi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Blade thickness
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic