Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei line of dirks? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Hanwei line of dirks?         Reply with quote

Ok i know chen isnt the best but i'm after something i would use, no frills, has a nice flare to it and isnt over $200...so i'm open to suggestions Wink

But what is your thoughts on the Scottish dirk in the link below? has anyone handled it and what did you think of it...I held one about 3 years ago but its been that long i cant really remember my thoughts on the quality (this was before me being on SFI). So if you were after a cheap dirt bought AS a beater basically do you think this item is an ok buy?

I really like ballock styled daggers and this one just appeals to my taste...as long as it'll keep an edge, isnt going to fall apart and is in my price range i'm open to it. Havnt been keeping up with my weapons obsession lately unforntunately but i'm slowly gonna get back (maybe grab myself a type X Atrim).

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/w034pp.jpg <---one that is titled 034-PP Happy

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's not a Hanwei product. It's made in the Phillipines.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ahh well...under the hanwei products when i done a search on that site and never concerned myself with learning there little coding system. Happy

thanks anyways...i'll look elsewhere Happy

*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
ahh well...under the hanwei products when i done a search on that site and never concerned myself with learning there little coding system. Happy

thanks anyways...i'll look elsewhere Happy

I don't know....it LOOKS pretty cool........I've not heard anything good about Chen/Hanwei's Phillipine line, but how badly could they screw up something so simple? Then again, perphaps I shouldn't ask.... Eek! Happy Anyway, here's a better shot.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled one about two years ago. Keep in mind, it is possible they've changed the design since then, I don't know.

The one I handled was a little clunky and awkward feeling. The edge geometry was pretty obtuse, so that it would take a lot of serious reshaping to get a nice good edge on it. Otherwise it was okay, I guess. I don't know the price, but if you can get it really dirt cheap, it might be worth doing some home improvements with it.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still have one. It's not too bad for the price, but don't expect total historical accuracy -- the grip is way large, much larger than an original would be. It's also a bit heavier than it should be. Balance and subjective feel on mine are "ho hum", kind of mediocre, but not unbearably bad.

You might want to save up for something better. Then again, if you can find a good deal on it, go for it as a "stand in" until you can find something better.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 24 Apr, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell has one pictured in his collection: http://www.myArmoury.com/nateb_dagg_casi_dirk.html?1

I used to own one. The grip was way too big and had a big crack in it. I got rid of it.

I'd save up a little longer and get something nicer. You can read up on dirks in our spotlight: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spot_dirks.html

It talks about custom and production makers.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks alot for all your replies Big Grin I wanna get into buying scottish blades because i've had enough with fantasy blades and i got my share or norse weapons. But didnt want to jump into the deep end buying say a Vince Evans piece. Happy Thanks alot to Chad for directing me to those links Happy I'm leaning away from the CAS-I Dirk now and below are my two possibilities...

Armour Class- 18th Century Scottish Dirk (maybe the "S" Basket Hilt to go with it)
MRL - Early scottish Dirk

Ok price wise the MRL piece does look appealing...But what does everyone think of the Armour class dirks? I'm willing to put some more money aside to get a nice piece. Has someone on here bought one? what did you think of it and are their baskethilts of the same quality.

I'm REALLY leaning towards armour class now, cause it looks like one mean piece, its robust and well carved, and appears like it could handle anything thrown at it. any imput? Happy

Thanks alot people.

*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
Thanks alot to Chad for directing me to those links

Hey Robert, you should check out all the articles on this site. myArmoury.com isn't really a forum site as much as it is a regularly-updated content site. We just happen to have a forum. Anybody can run a forum site. It's the least important thing of the site in my eyes. There's a ton of good info here in our features section.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
Armour Class- 18th Century Scottish Dirk (maybe the "S" Basket Hilt to go with it)
MRL - Early scottish Dirk

I've handled the MRL "Early Dirk", and I'd say you'd be better off going with the CASI (the MRL dirk is heavier and clunkier feeling, in my experience). You'll probably want to avoid it as well.

I do think you'd be best off going with the Armour Class. Although I haven't handled an AC dirk, the pics look very nice. Accurate too. If they are of the quality of their basket hilts (and it would seem likely that they are), then they should be very nice. Certainly nicer than the MRL or CASI, anyway.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks alot nathan for the tip. I'll be sure to check through the features and reviews first. Happy

David thanks alot for your response...looks like Armour Class it is, I read the review of the mortuary basket hilt from them in the review section and it appears to be all positive for craftsmenship. And I agree on the historical look of them...I'll be ordering it likely just before i leave for the states, if Nathan accepts the review I'll take detailed hi-res pics and put a review so others can be informed of there dirk line. Happy

Regards. Happy

*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armour Class is a good choice. Top notch products from top notch people. Oh, and glad ya' liked the review.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the MRL early dirk several years ago. The wood of the grip shrank severely in cool dry weather (in Ohio, that's November through March). It shrunk and loosened enough that it would turn 15-20 degrees or so in each direction.

If they've found a more suitable wood or if you live in a climate where temp and humidity don't fluctuate wildly, it might be okay. It was attractive, but only around half of the year for me.

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was about to mention Armour class to you Robert, but no need anymore I see.

I have an Armour class Scottish Cup and Ring baskethilt in order, ordered it a few weeks ago. Good service sofar, that's a plus. The waiting time is around 20 weeks, for swords anyway, I'm not sure of the same goes for their knives. So I hope you don't mind a bit of a wait.
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I emailed them and they have been VERY helpful...to the point in fact they have several different dirk based on historical examples, they're gonna send pictures and then i take my pick of which one i'd like to buy Big Grin So thankfully its pay day today lol...the plus of this is they are made in Scotland, while i know that doesnt determine quality its a plus that any weapon i buy is made in the land it was commonly used and made..
*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
Stephen Pearson

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anybody have any pics of an Armorclass Dirk? I searched the albums here and couldn't find any. I too am intrigued by their selection (and pricing) and would love to hear from a fellow forumite who owns or has owned one of their dirks.
The only situation a commander can know fully is his own: his opponent's he can know only from unreliable intelligence.
Clausewitz, On War
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Pearson wrote:
Does anybody have any pics of an Armorclass Dirk? I searched the albums here and couldn't find any. I too am intrigued by their selection (and pricing) and would love to hear from a fellow forumite who owns or has owned one of their dirks.

I had one, which I bought through Albion. It was nice. Here are some pics from the recesses of my hard drive (Albion took them).

Attachment: 27.15 KB
dirkhilt.jpg

Attachment: 27.78 KB
dirkblade.jpg

Happy

ChadA

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
I still have one. It's not too bad for the price, but don't expect total historical accuracy -- the grip is way large, much larger than an original would be. It's also a bit heavier than it should be. Balance and subjective feel on mine are "ho hum", kind of mediocre, but not unbearably bad.

You might want to save up for something better. Then again, if you can find a good deal on it, go for it as a "stand in" until you can find something better.

Iffy handling aside, how is the workmanship on this item? Does it feel fairly solid? I really like the utilitarian look of both the dirk and the sheath. Happy
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
David Wilson wrote:

Iffy handling aside, how is the workmanship on this item? Does it feel fairly solid? I really like the utilitarian look of both the dirk and the sheath. Happy

Worksmanship is okay. It seems to be pretty solid, anyway I've never had any trouble with mine (but then I haven't put it to any heavy use. Stabs through cardboard easily enough, though).

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm putting my order through to armor class tomorrow after choosing one of there dirks in stock (apparently the one pictured on site isnt the only type they sell).

Thanks alot guys for all the responses, and Chad those pictures of the AC dirk look very attractive, and meant for business!

*!*
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei line of dirks?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: