Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A few new MRL items... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: A few new MRL items...         Reply with quote

Got a new Museum Replicas Ltd. catalog in this morning. Besides for the Kingdom of Heaven stuff, there are a few new pieces that catch my eye. The 15th Century longsword is quite nice looking. If I had more cash I'd try one of those out. A new Viking sword with quite a wide blade called the Leuterit. There is a new shamshir that at doesn't look too bad. Similar to an older model they had. And they are actually making a Dussack now, which is pretty nice looking...
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the dussack. Interesting, but seems to be too acutely-tapered. Didn't dussacks have more parallel edges and more rounded tips? Possibly I'm just judging from fechtbuch illustrations, which might show wooden training dussacks designed to approximate the weight of steel (?).

Attachment: 7.1 KB
0500808_l_000.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's what I'm thinking of. This is from Jakob Sutor's fechtbuch of 1612, which is publicly available thanks to ARMA. Find it alongside many other fascinating and important manuals at ARMA's site ( http://www.thearma.org/manuals.htm ).

Attachment: 53.63 KB
dussack.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the look of the Long Sword too. Haven't gotten my new catalogue yet, but It's been on their website for a few weeks. That one that Sean posted a pic of looks like a real monster! Eek! Talk about a cutting sword....... Laughing Out Loud :)Now, if only Windlass would make a monster cut and thrust sword(11" grip, 40" blade) for about $275............ Laughing Out Loud Happy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
A new Viking sword with quite a wide blade called the Leuterit.

That sword is inspired by the original pictured in our review of Albion's Jarl: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_jarl.html

The inscription on the blade is actually +LEUTRIT with the last T being inverted.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A few new MRL items...         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Got a new Museum Replicas Ltd. catalog in this morning. Besides for the Kingdom of Heaven stuff, there are a few new pieces that catch my eye. The 15th Century longsword is quite nice looking. If I had more cash I'd try one of those out. A new Viking sword with quite a wide blade called the Leuterit. There is a new shamshir that at doesn't look too bad. Similar to an older model they had. And they are actually making a Dussack now, which is pretty nice looking...

Ummm...I got a new catalog from MRL yesterday too, but mine doesn't include a dussack or a shamshir. Mine is catalog #85, which is yours? Anyway, I'm driving myself nuts. Assuming you aren't referring to the "sword of saladin" I'm desperate to see the shamshir. I need an islamic sword so bad that I'd buy one from MRL.

It does show lots of shields though, aside from the Kingdom of Heaven ones they have viking and roman. They actually look halfway decent.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A few new MRL items...         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:

Ummm...I got a new catalog from MRL yesterday too, but mine doesn't include a dussack or a shamshir. Mine is catalog #85, which is yours? Anyway, I'm driving myself nuts. Assuming you aren't referring to the "sword of saladin" I'm desperate to see the shamshir. I need an islamic sword so bad that I'd buy one from MRL.

Hi, Alina. Mine is number 85 as well. Both the dussack and scimitar on on page 71 of mine. Or, to make the search easier, the inside back page... The scimitar looks similar if not identical to one they had previously listed but that I, at least, hadn't noticed being listed for a while...

I would have been thrilled to have gotten the sword of Saladin if they had not gone with the forked blade... But, I don't much care for that, so....
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Here's the dussack. Interesting, but seems to be too acutely-tapered. Didn't dussacks have more parallel edges and more rounded tips? (?).

You know, now that you mention it, I realize I don't know.... Big Grin It seems I've seen illustrations of forms similar to the MRL but I couldn't tell you where now. Or, I could be recollecting erroneously... Seems to be something I should look into if I get a chance, just to be sure....
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Scott Byler wrote:
A new Viking sword with quite a wide blade called the Leuterit.

That sword is inspired by the original pictured in our review of Albion's Jarl: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_jarl.html

The inscription on the blade is actually +LEUTRIT with the last T being inverted.

I missed the sword when reading the review, but now that you point it out, you are right. It is not a bad looking piece... Has a manly man blade on there.... Big Grin
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A few new MRL items...         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Hi, Alina. Mine is number 85 as well. Both the dussack and scimitar on on page 71 of mine. Or, to make the search easier, the inside back page... The scimitar looks similar if not identical to one they had previously listed but that I, at least, hadn't noticed being listed for a while...

I would have been thrilled to have gotten the sword of Saladin if they had not gone with the forked blade... But, I don't much care for that, so....

LOL. If you haven't already, you can check out my multiple whining rants on the subject of the sword of Saladin in the kingdom of heaven threads.

Interestingly, my catalogue only has 47 pages. Is this an Atlanta Cutlery catalogue or MRL?
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I really like the look of the Long Sword too. Haven't gotten my new catalogue yet, but It's been on their website for a few weeks. That one that Sean posted a pic of looks like a real monster! Eek! Talk about a cutting sword....... Laughing Out Loud :)Now, if only Windlass would make a monster cut and thrust sword(11" grip, 40" blade) for about $275............ Laughing Out Loud Happy

Not sure if it is the same longsword. There is one that appeared in the last catalog that is very nice and there is this new one with the facetted pommel and half wire wrapped handle with side rings.... Didn't see it listed on a quick perusal of the MRL site earlier.... May have missed it, though. I would scan the pic and put it up but seems that my scanner has decided that it doesn't like to work without crashing the computer.... sigh.....
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know why but I'm seriously amused by the "Early Chinese War Sword." It doesn't seem to fit any chinese pattern I know of but I still really like it. I guess it's one of those inexplicable matters of taste.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Not sure if it is the same longsword. There is one that appeared in the last catalog that is very nice and there is this new one with the facetted pommel and half wire wrapped handle with side rings.... Didn't see it listed on a quick perusal of the MRL site earlier.... May have missed it, though. I would scan the pic and put it up but seems that my scanner has decided that it doesn't like to work without crashing the computer.... sigh.....

You're right: a completely different sword. My mistake. There's one on their site right now just called the "Long Sword." That's the one I was thinking of. Happy
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A few new MRL items...         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:

Interestingly, my catalogue only has 47 pages. Is this an Atlanta Cutlery catalogue or MRL?

MRL catalog... Says #85 on it and has the Kingdom of Heaven themed cover. Weird that yours only has about half the pages.

Wish my scanner were working right and I'd get a scan of the scimitar for you... Seems everything has been breaking down on me lately from my longsax project to the scanner....

Oh, and I must admit that the Chinese sword interests me too. I'm not sure I've ever seen any historical examples just like it though....
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the scimi, Alina...
(apparently, it's very light! Eek! )

Attachment: 65.85 KB
WindlassScimitar.jpg

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's the scimi, Alina...
(apparently, it's very light! )

It also has no overall length! Eek! WTF?! Laughing Out Loud Certainly the lightest, most compact sword I've ever seen. Laughing Out Loud I finally got #85 yesterday, and now I know which sword Scott Byler is talking about: the 15th C. Longsword on page 36. That really IS cool. Cool Happy Strange that MRL can print up a new paper catalogue faster than they can update their website.... WTF?! Laughing Out Loud Happy
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might have to buy it. They should know that a scimitar isn't a type of sword at all. That sword is modeled after the Persian shamshir, but the blade doesn't seem as curved as the typical shamshir, nor is there enough profile taper.

I've been talking with Stephen from GDFB and he says they're going to be doing an Islamic line of swords and armor. He's even letting me send him tons and tons of research for them to sort through. There might finally be an affordable line of medieval Islamic weapons based on the real thing!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
They should know that a scimitar isn't a type of sword at all.

I believe the term is a European one to describe curved blades. I seem to recall an 18th century Scottish text that referred to falchions as scimitars. Hmmm... maybe I should start another thread on this so as not to get off topic...
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
I've been talking with Stephen from GDFB and he says they're going to be doing an Islamic line of swords and armor. He's even letting me send him tons and tons of research for them to sort through. There might finally be an affordable line of medieval Islamic weapons based on the real thing!

Though Islamic weapons have not really been of much interest to me in the past, I have been developing a bit of an interest here of late, in thanks mostly to you, Alina. Whether or not this ever turns into something which I would personally acquire or not has yet to be seen. So, so many other pieces I have to have...

At any rate, I think good, well-grounded recreations would be an excellent addition to the whole collector / reenactor / historian venue. I'm glad to see you will have a part in making this happen.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A few new MRL items...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic