Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Invincibility Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Invincibility         Reply with quote

i am so utterly sick and tired of the preoccupation with the invincible sword, invincible sword art, armor, unarmed combat technique, Matrix/anime jumping 20 feet into the air nonsense while cutting through solid blocks of quartz.

why do these arguments occur? is this some kinda ego thing?

i can understand the smith who would want to pursue in creating a very durable weapon. heck, it's an art.

but of what benefit is it to two people arguing over who would win in a fight between Joe Kenshin of art "A" and sword "B" vs Gordie Howe of art "B" and sword "C"

meaningless!

Try not to take yourself too seriously.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"meaningless! "

Agreed. Haven't seen any of those discussions/arguments around here.

Maybe you need to think about the forums you hang out at Wink
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, such stuff is pointless and utterly useless. Still, seems that is the way most things go. Seems there is next to nothing that someone, somewhere, won't choose to argue over with someone else. I have gone to pains to make myself avoid a lot of these type discussions since it usually does no more than get my stress level up a notch or 2... Although sometimes it is kind of like a train wreck... You want to look away but can't. lol
Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave

Pointless argumants can be brilliant...Me and the boys have had loads and loads of hypothetical "who would win" discussions. Yes theyre pointless but they are very entertaining...Sometimes they gat bizzare, Like a walrus versus a hippo and stuff but its good to let the imagination rip and be creative. Guys come onto the forums with this mindset. Totally hypothetical questions not ment to be based entirly on reality and are always met with the same bland humourless responses, Its the Swordsman, never met in battle historically, luck being the determining factor.

The point of the conversation is to have fun..To use your creative minds, in some ways to be childish. Its not ment as a serious discussion (hence why they dont occure here, its not that type of forum). So no there is no "point" to such discussion, but in the same way as there is no "point" to practically any other pub style discussion.

The preoccupation with invincible stuff...yea thats Just misinformation but the "who would win" conversations always run into their non target audience of people who are so set in their ways or feel so superior in their knowledge as to be unable to roll their proverbial shirt sleeves up and have a bit of a laugh.

Perhaps its Not getting the newer generation or growing mature in your taste in swordsmanship and forgetting what lead most of us here? That you cant see past your "truths" about swordsmen and swordsmanship. Heros of eastern legend could fly, Jump huge gaps, leap from branch to branch. Heros slayed dragons and chopped houses apart with their swords. This is the stuff of legends. The automatic presumption that people are ignorant and believe this stuff to be real merly shows your lack of acceptance and understanding. People like to believe this stuff because the reality is way more bland and uninteresting then the fiction. Deep down its these legends that drew the majority of us to swords collecting and swordsmanship. Prime example is the conan atlantean sword and the fathers sword. Beautifull hero fantasy swords...The newer generations Idol swords are from anime...No difference between wanting an SLO like the atlantean and wanting a reverse edged katana from kenshin. (note, yea, I know albion want to great lengths to make the atlantean as functional as possible)

So basically it all boils down to you simply dont get it...Or if you do get it you believe yourself to be above all that now...

Lighten up a bit...the flip side of the coin is people are also sick and tired of people who are dead set on the truths and realities they hold and cannot see past them...

Ciaran

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh No! You mean to tell me that a katana wont cut through a Cadillac Escalade? Noooo

*g*
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
Oh No! You mean to tell me that a katana wont cut through a Cadillac Escalade? Noooo

*g*

...but I saw it in a movie!!! WTF?!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ciaran,

you make a very fine point to the other side of the coin.

yes, i do concede that the ideals of creativity, fun, fantasy, and mytho-historic exploits have no doubt been a common starting point.

to perhaps refine my point, i was more centering on the unwaivering mindset of those who must classify and defend what sword is invincible. what is the best... what combination of A/B/C imparts deity like worship. i really don't understand why someone "needs" to do this.

in defence to those who are of the more historical mindset, i have yet to hear an argument from this crowd on what specific sword is superior or the unending debate for the search for "invincibility". most discussions that i have borne witness to mainly focus on things like craftsmanship, suitability of purpose, such and such.

you are right though, there are some who can be perceived as intolerable snobs. but i do not condone such behaviour. extremism that produces intolerance, whether on the fantasy side or historical side, drains the joy in this art of ours.

-D

Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, In that I am in complete agreement :-)

C

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Nov, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: The deadliest sword...         Reply with quote

Is most likely the one used by the finest swordsman. Would I be too wide the mark to maybe ask if you have been putting up with fantastic misconceptions somewhere, Dave? Worried
"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The deadliest sword...         Reply with quote

Shawn Mulock wrote:
Is most likely the one used by the finest swordsman. Would I be too wide the mark to maybe ask if you have been putting up with fantastic misconceptions somewhere, Dave? Worried

pardon? oh here and there i suppose.

i don't know... reading over my original post, i have inadvertantly steered this topic onto the one on one battle debate.

this is not about one on one.
let's not focus on one on one.
i have not meant to bring this discussions onto one on one dueling.

nor do i wish to go into individuals and individual abilities. i'm sure that discussing such things can be a fantastic topic!

alrighty than?

thanks,

-D

Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave,
Dumb question, Gordie Howe wins everytime! Laughing Out Loud \
[/img]
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Perino wrote:
Dave,
[/img]

yep, ol' gordo was a mean, dirty player. the famous gordie howe special... an elbow shot!

i tell you though, you better make sure the player you just boarded doesn't get up. i almost broke my neck once when i got hit with a cheap shot from behind like what ol' gordie did in the pic. i learned a valuable lesson, never turn your back on the boards!

when i got up, i charged him and broke my stick over the guys shoulder. if the mates around us didn't break it up, i woulda mounted the guy and gave his face the spanking it deserved.

GOD I LOVE HOCKEY!

Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave Hahn wrote:
Chuck Perino wrote:
Dave,
[/img]

yep, ol' gordo was a mean, dirty player. the famous gordie howe special... an elbow shot!

i tell you though, you better make sure the player you just boarded doesn't get up. i almost broke my neck once when i got hit with a cheap shot from behind like what ol' gordie did in the pic. i learned a valuable lesson, never turn your back on the boards!

when i got up, i charged him and broke my stick over the guys shoulder. if the mates around us didn't break it up, i woulda mounted the guy and gave his face the spanking it deserved.

GOD I LOVE HOCKEY!

CLEAN HIT!!!!! Gordie steals the puck and SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Personally Im a big Bob Gainey fan! Best defensive forward the game ever saw!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Invincibility
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic