Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wakazashi Questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Wakazashi Questions         Reply with quote

My dad has an old wakazashi that he wants to do a little bit of restoration on. I am not really knowledgable on Japanese swords, but he tells me that the material that has been used to wrap the grip on his sword is not historically correct. I think the issue was that the ribbon was too wide. He wanted me to ask if anyone knows where he could get the correct material for this grip, and/or if there is anyone who does that kind of work (rewrapping/repair of asian swords).

Also, this sword is rather tired, but my father would like to have it polished one last time. Would anyone know if there is someone who polishes Japanese blades?

I'll ask dad about some of the details that might be handy (I don't even know the date of this sword, which might be relevant). Until I get that, though, any suggestions?

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Wakizashi Polishing         Reply with quote

I believe there are a couple of people in the UK that do proper polishing for Japanese blades. Long time since I looked at it but the UK Token society I think may have some intro links/addresses. That is of course if you are prepared to send it to the UK. Also polishing may be quite expensive (not sure of current rates). I can try and dig out the email/address of the people in the Uk who do it if you want. Otherwise you can always send it to Japan for polishing but heaven knows how much that would cost. But you want it done by an expert if it's a decent blade.

I don't know if these people also restore the tsuka-ito (the silk thread binding).

Regards

Daniel
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keith Larman does polishing work.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel,

Given the issues my dad has had with getting things to and from the UK, he will probably not opt to go that route. Nonetheless, if you have an email or link handy, I'd appreciate it just on general principles.

Chad,

Thanks! I'll let dad know.

-Grey

Nate C.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grey -

Where is your dad located? I think Dan may have figured he's with you. If I remember correctly you're from the states even though you're in Germany right now? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate,

Good point. My dad is in northern Colorado, back state-side. I don't know how he would feel about sending things internationally, I just know that he has had difficulties with British regulations.

-Grey

Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Wakizashi query         Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I did assume you were in Germany and hence thought it would be closer and cheaper to send to the UK. Below are a few resources you might want to look at for info and contacts. The non-US ones for info and the US ones for finding a polisher. I couldn't paste links onto here so if you just tap it into the search bar....

Japan Sword Society of the United States - various info and help

Japan Art Sword Polishing by David Hofhine - US polisher, gives prices etc. May be able to connect you with another polisher if he's too pricy

Swordforum.com - articles and info

Japanese Art Swords - Kenji Mishina (a Japanese polisher)

To-ken society of Great Britain - various articles and links

You should be able to piece together a plan by the info on these sites or emailing them for help. Ask them if they do repairs to Tsuka-ito (a 'tsuka maki shi' or hilt binder does this); but if you want to get it redone, do definitely check that the original binding (even if wrong for the sword or damaged) isn't worth anything in itself. If it's contemporary with the blade, matches the saya (scabbard) or has some intrinsic value itself, it may be best to be cautious about repairs/replacement. Sometimes people inadvertently discover on valuing a sword that the tsuba (guard), tsuka or other hilt ornaments are worth more than the blade (I know I did once many years back - I had a very mediocre shin-to blade with very cheap and rough binding from the Satsuma rebellion in the late 19th century when many swords were 'bodged' together from different unmatching pieces in order simply to put a weapon in someone's hand to fight. Turned out the menuki (little ornaments under the binding) were worth 4 times as much as the blade). So check and take good advice. But the proper associations should be able to guide you in these things.

Good luck

Daniel
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks!

-Grey

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wakazashi Questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic