Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rapier fancier? An important reprint is available. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Rapier fancier? An important reprint is available.         Reply with quote

Recently reprinted by Ken Trotman Ltd. http://www.kentrotman.com

Rapiers: an illustrated reference guide to the rapiers of the 16th and 17th centuries and their companions "Facsimile of 1968 HB edn. 74pp, nearly 60 photos. PB 2004. In response to the demand for copies of this study, we are pleased to offer a llimited edition reprint in paperback. £15.00."

The catalogue number at that time was M059.

Usual disclaimer applies: I'm not associated with this company except as a customer, but having seen how original editions are priced (I was lucky to get mine for only £22.00, not in the best condition) I thought this information should be passed on. Quality is likely to be good; their limited edition reprint of Laking's Record of European Armour and Arms is excellent .

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always found that Web site a chore to browse. Where are the reprints?

Searching the site for "rapier" produces nothing.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan -

Ouch! You're not kidding about navigating the website!

I see also that it only refers to the most current catalogue - I suppose the printed version is taken directly from the site. When writing my initial post, I was actually referring to a couple of paper catalogues. The best thing to do, for anyone interested, would be to email Trotmans: orders@kentrotman.com, and ask for information.

The necessary details for an enquiry about the Valentine book are as follows:

Title: Rapiers: an illustrated reference guide to the rapiers of the 16th and 17th centuries and their companions
Price: £15.00 (NB that this doesn't include shipping.)
Cat. No. M059.
Catalogue: Grant

(The current catalogue is "Hawkwood"; "Grant" is the one immediately before that.)

Buying anything puts you on a catalogue mailing list for about a year (renewed with each subsequent purchase - basically if they haven't heard from you in 12-14 months, no more free catalogues; makes sense to me) and there seem to be about 4-6 catalogues in any given calendar year, alternating between New/Forthcoming and Fine/Rare (used, in other words). I've seldom been unable to find something to buy, in order to keep them coming (hence my ignorance of the Byzantine nature of the website!)

The only drawback I've found is that a Fine/Rare book can be nabbed by someone who gets their catalogue before me - this may be a result of alphabetical order, catalogue delivery time, or whatever (people in England would certainly get their catalogues sooner than those in Ireland, who would get them sooner than those in the US/Canada etc.). It's a small frustration, and hasn't been too annoying; I missed a copy of Norman's Rapier and Smallsword, but got a better copy (with dust-jacket) a couple of catalogues later; this may have been luck, or because my name was on a list of potential customers for that title.

Anyway, I hope this provides a bit of useful information to those who, like yourself, have looked over the website and run away!

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, thanks for the head's up. I really want this info brought to the attention of the member's of this site. Being a book fanatic, I'm always hunting for something new. Strange, I haven't purchased from Ken Trotman Ltd. yet: not because I haven't found things I want, but because I've managed to find an easier source (for me in the US) or a better price elsewhere. Now that I'm looking again at their on-line catalog, I certainly see a few things calling out to me.

I suspected you were referring to the Valentine book, but wasn't absolutely sure without an author credit in your first post. I'm lucky to have a couple copies already, and will be placing one for sale soon on this site I think. I'm glad to see a re-print of it, as the original's price is probably much higher than all but the most fanatic of book collectors would find appropriate.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I suspected you were referring to the Valentine book, but wasn't absolutely sure without an author credit in your first post.

Eek! DOH! Smack forehead. Well, that was dumb. Teaches me to write anything "remotely sensible" (haha) at half three in the morning.

Something else which should be mentioned for those who haven't seen a copy of this book: the original is one of Arms & Armour Press's "Illustrated Monograph" series, so don't be surprised to discover that it's Very Thin (especially when compared to Norman's monumental tome.) No cries of "Fifteen quid for this?" please. The photos are great, and my only complaint about Valentine's brief (7-page) introduction is that I would happily have read more.

Well worth getting for anyone with the slightest interest in these long, elegant, Very Romantick (and very pointy) swords...

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Peter. Although it's small this book is a grest resource. Many of the rapiers pictured aren't found in any other book.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rapier fancier? An important reprint is available.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic